Bracketology 2024

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
Excuse my ignorance, I'm kinda new to this one seed two seed mumbo-jumbo, but supposedly there is a chance we can be a one seed playing in Western Omaha?

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
What was the best thing about our win last night? Getting the AUTOMATIC bid to the NCAA tournament! Now we don't have to sweat out waiting for the selection show to see if we get an at large bid. :)

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I know this is not popular, but I think they’re all overreacting to the conference tournaments. The committee has routinely ignored the results of the tournaments and seeded based more heavily on the regular season. So ISU will probably be a 2 seed
I partially disagree.

I agree the committee ignores the results of the tournament.

I disagree about seeding more heavily on the regular season. They seed more heavily based on total body of work. If two teams are close in the regular season, then the results of the tournament absolutely could flip things.

That said, Iowa State and UNC are really close either way and I wouldn't be surprised if either one is the last 1 seed.

Reactions: Cyclone Pfan

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Massive difference between a 3 seeding and a 7/10 seeding in regards to site location.

Is it possible? Yes. Likely, No?

Frankly would welcome the matchup. As much as I enjoyed Hoibergs teams at ISU, TJs current team is the type that would absolutely frustrate the living hell out of them and completely disrupt.

If Nebraska's spot on the seedline comes up and Omaha is open, they will go there. There are no bracketing principles that prevent that.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I would absolutely normally agree with you but yesterday was different and I think will really make it hard for the committee to find much difference between UNC and ISUs resume. I agree that in the end we will be a 2 seed still but I think we improved from 7-8 overall to 5-6 at the worst now.
Yeah, there's no way they can ignore a game during the season (conference tournaments are the season, albeit, not the regular season) where a team beats the AP #1 ranked team by nearly 30 points at a neutral site.

Not saying it's enough to pull the #1 seed. But saying things are locked in before the season ends just doesn't work. This is a committee that does their homework. You may not agree with what they do, but it's not like the Football eye-test Bull ****.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I partially disagree.

I agree the committee ignores the results of the tournament.

I disagree about seeding more heavily on the regular season. They seed more heavily based on total body of work. If two teams are close in the regular season, then the results of the tournament absolutely could flip things.

That said, Iowa State and UNC are really close either way and I wouldn't be surprised if either one is the last 1 seed.

Were ISU and UNC considered close a week ago? I thought we were pushing for a 2 seed at best.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Lunardi doesnt have them as the top2. The top 2 seed goes to the closest region. He must have ISU 6 or 7.
Nardnuts is firmly in the “conference tournaments don’t matter” group but what we did to Baylor and Houston HAS to matter. Likewise NC losing to a team that was playing their 5th game in 5 days HAS to matter. It’s a total body of work and those games count. If we get pushed to East as a 2 that would be criminal.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
A 3 seed playing close to home can and does happen. But the committee does not reward lower seeds by playing in their closest venue
They definitely try to avoid it but at times their hands are also tied due to conference rematches etc. With that being said, Nebby isn’t getting Omaha.

Last edited:

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I know this is not popular, but I think they’re all overreacting to the conference tournaments. The committee has routinely ignored the results of the tournaments and seeded based more heavily on the regular season. So ISU will probably be a 2 seed
It’s certainly been hit and miss at times but we’ve also never seen what happened yesterday. I think they will matter.