Bunch of liars in Iowa City

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I would think Iowa fans would be more upset. I know if I had to pay a scalper $100 plus because I was told a game was sold out I would be pretty mad...

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
That should make it even easier to lie about a sellout! I can't believe Pollard's not all over this...

I think part of that is his marketing plan though. "See we aren't selling out yet, we need your help." There is no doubt we need season ticket holders and more of them. If every game is a sell out, then it might start to overshadow the fact that we really need more season ticket holders.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Since CH took his ball and went home .... what is your opinion on the number of seats UNSOLD needed to break the 'streak'.

-keep

Who is CH?

Anyways, to answer your original question, as Barta stated, Iowa's policy is that as long as the only tickets left are obstructed view, then it's a sellout. I'm assuming this means in the endzones behind the band, in the corners up towards the top, etc...

Iowa lists sellout at whatever number (I guess it's around 68,000), and ISU lists max capacity at 45,000 and then brags about their 105% capacity crowds. I fail to see the difference. Maybe Iowa should just change the wording?

Let's do it ISU's way. I'm going to e-mail Barta and suggest this to him. "Since ISU fans have a problem with calling the sellout streak a "sellout", let's instead rename the 68,000 mark (or whatever it is) "capacity", and just say that Iowa has a 36 game streak of at least capacity sold."

But, since I know you're going to ask me again - I don't know what the exact number is. And I don't care. Iowa does it, Nebraska does it, and other schools around the nation do it. If you have a problem with it, e-mail every AD and request them to clarify. Until then, it just looks dumb to call Iowa out on it when everybody does it.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I don't know that we've ever listed an actual "sellout." I'm not sure when they stop selling hillside seats, or if they even place a limit on them.

If we have claimed a sellout, I'd like to know when that was.

We could get more Hawk fans squished than Nebraska fans. I think the Big Red people are larger. I would think we could hit 60,000 if we could stack them.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Who is CH?

Anyways, to answer your original question, as Barta stated, Iowa's policy is that as long as the only tickets left are obstructed view, then it's a sellout. I'm assuming this means in the endzones behind the band, in the corners up towards the top, etc...

Iowa lists sellout at whatever number (I guess it's around 68,000), and ISU lists max capacity at 45,000 and then brags about their 105% capacity crowds. I fail to see the difference. Maybe Iowa should just change the wording?

Let's do it ISU's way. I'm going to e-mail Barta and suggest this to him. "Since ISU fans have a problem with calling the sellout streak a "sellout", let's instead rename the 68,000 mark (or whatever it is) "capacity", and just say that Iowa has a 36 game streak of at least capacity sold."

But, since I know you're going to ask me again - I don't know what the exact number is. And I don't care. Iowa does it, Nebraska does it, and other schools around the nation do it. If you have a problem with it, e-mail every AD and request them to clarify. Until then, it just looks dumb to call Iowa out on it when everybody does it.

so your opinion (which is what I asked for) is the same as Bartas statement?

which doesn't answer the question.. what is your OPINION on what number a sellout NOT make.

I don't have a problem with it so to say.. just curious on YOUR opinion what number a sellout not make.

-keep

-keep

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Who is CH?

So you're saying that Kinnick has 2,460 obstructed views? Maybe you could have fixed that with that multimillion dollar renovation. Or, if they are indeed singles as Barta suggests then maybe your ticket office should do a better job of putting people together as to not have those single open spots.

BTW, when has ISU ever put out in a press release or boasted about its 105% capacity? I've never seen the athletic dept use that as a selling point.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA

Big difference here. Giving a percentage of capacity is a solid figure that can be proven through calculations. The official seats with row numbers and seat numbers can be counted. The hillside "seats" cannot be counted as there is no official amount that they can hold. No seat numbers, no row numbers. This is why ISU doesn't claim sellouts.

Claiming a sellout when all of your seats with row numbers and seat numbers are not sold is lying. Plain and simple. You're right, maybe they should change the wording in all of their recruiting and media propaganda.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
This thread has 105 replies at the moment. My question would be, why in the hell should it matter what they do, or don't do in Iowa City? How does it matter to Cyclone football? Sheesh. Some of you guys are more obsessed with Iowa than Iowa's fans.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
so your opinion (which is what I asked for) is the same as Bartas statement?

which doesn't answer the question.. what is your OPINION on what number a sellout NOT make.

I don't have a problem with it so to say.. just curious on YOUR opinion what number a sellout not make.

-keep

-keep
I've said it 8 times now. I honestly don't care. The only reason I'm posting in this thread is to point out the hypocrisy. If Iowa wants to brag about a sellout streak, go for it. They're doing what every school in similar situations does.

IMO, a home field advantage is much more important, and I'd rather have a home winning streak over a sellout streak. The current steak is all about marketing, which is fine.

Again, my opinion is that I don't really care. Call a sellout a sellout if you have most of the stadium sold, and only have obstructed seats left. Or, call it a sellout when you are at 105% capacity. Or, just call it nothing. I don't care.

Big difference here. Giving a percentage of capacity is a solid figure that can be proven through calculations. The official seats with row numbers and seat numbers can be counted. The hillside "seats" cannot be counted as there is no official amount that they can hold. No seat numbers, no row numbers. This is why ISU doesn't claim sellouts.

Claiming a sellout when all of your seats with row numbers and seat numbers are not sold is lying. Plain and simple. You're right, maybe they should change the wording in all of their recruiting and media propaganda.

Alright new idea. E-mail every football program with a set number of seats, because I guarantee you that they do the same thing. You think USC pulls in sellout crowds against teams like San Jose State? I remember watching their game against Fresno State a few years back, and saw thousands of seats open. I bet those weren't sold, but I bet they called it a sellout.

What about Nebraska against WMU?

There's dozens of examples. It's not lying, it's marketing. Pro sports teams do it, college teams do it, there's just no way around it. If you don't like it, fine. You don't have to worry about it. Those hillside seats protect you from having to worry about any sellout streak.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
come on .... give a number. That is painless, no?

-keep

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
its official...

any more than 8 people at Kinnick for a football game is a sellout.

stop caring by stop posting.

-keep

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
On a serious note, this whole discussion is pretty ridiculous. Lots of teams, college and pro, do this. If ISU could consistenly draw something closer to max capacity I'm sure they'd do it too.

ISU has filled the seats for every game for the past 2 years... We could easily claim something like this if we wanted.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
its official...

any more than 8 people at Kinnick for a football game is a sellout.

stop caring by stop posting.

-keep

Is that a sell out for their basketball games as well? 'cause if it is I'm still not sure they've could have a streak... :biglaugh:

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
Remember that this is the same marketing geniuses that made the MBB posters talking about the great fictious events in the Iowa season in order to give examples of what "could" happen.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Thing is though, if ISU claimed sellouts for the past two years, no one would believe it.

This is true, but by Iowa "standards" (and I use the term loosely) we could EASILY claim sellouts for two straight years. And the average attendance for the past 3 years is greater than the # of real actual tangible seats in our stadium. The bottom line is that Iowa's sell out streak is a pure sham, no matter how they want to spin it, and they just keep spoon feeding this crap so Joe-6 pack Hawk fan who has never left his trailer on the East side can brag about it loudly at a bar...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron