Caleb Grill's status unknown for Tuesday vs. Kansas State

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
If it is a pulled back muscle then he could be a out a bit...

If it is back spasms u can remedy that during games to alleviate pain..

Either way...it is not good. Down 2 starters and our ability to spread the floor significantly diminished..

Sit grill vs KSU and Mizzou (this game means nothing in scheme of conference)

Maybe even sit him vs TT as that is one we could win without him maybe.

That would give Caleb a good 10 days+ to rest up.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Would be pretty surprised if he does play at this point. Will obviously miss him offensively, but I think even more so on defense.

Side note- Cannot believe Jazz is out for another couple weeks. F****** finger

Reactions: CyNews

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
i want caleb for march so if it means missing a game here in late jan then so be it.

sucks it comes when #5 k-state is in town but it is what it is.

I didn't have a great feeling about tomorrow's game to start with so this is worse but hopefully they can figure out a way to make up for it.

Even if he plays I don't expect much scoring or being nearly as effective on D.

Reactions: Cyclones8824

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Not great. Only positive is we have some time to plan without him now.

Agree, upside could be assuming he won't play and adjust accordingly. Not ideal, but Otz has been able to customize after Jaz went out, I trust there's a viable strategy.

Edit/addition -- the Jaz situation had an augment, though, with Tre King becoming eligible around that time ... we don't have an extra 1.5-year sit-out transfer alternate for Grill's position.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
I didn't have a great feeling about tomorrow's game to start with so this is worse but hopefully they can figure out a way to make up for it.

Even if he plays I don't expect much scoring or being nearly as effective on D.
There’s never been a game against a team with a pulse that you did have a “great feeling”. So what’s the difference.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Taking only 9 (8 if you don't count the heave at the end) 3s isn't going to work in the BigXII. That's the lowest attempted 3FG in the Otz era (previous low was 13).

basketball-reference has game logs back to the '10-'11 season - and there wasn't any game with single-digit 3FG attempts. So it was at least during the McDermott era, if not longer!

The lowest in a game in the entire '12-'13 season was 18!

I think, if Grill is out, Gabe absolutely needs to hunt his shot more. Use the step-back, etc. Force it if necessary, but we have to have a threat from outside

• Informative
Reactions: Cfinnerty16

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Taking only 9 (8 if you don't count the heave at the end) 3s isn't going to work in the BigXII. That's the lowest attempted 3FG in the Otz era (previous low was 13).

basketball-reference has game logs back to the '10-'11 season - and there wasn't any game with single-digit 3FG attempts. So it was at least during the McDermott era, if not longer!

I think, if Grill is out, Gabe absolutely needs to hunt his shot more. Use the step-back, etc. Force it if necessary, but we have to have a threat from outside
For a team that doesn't have great 3pt shooting not having Grill and Jaz to space the floor really sucks. Jaren might have to look to shoot more from 3 too

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There’s never been a game against a team with a pulse that you did have a “great feeling”. So what’s the difference.

I've said every game will be tough because they will and the hope is just have a chance late.

I said Okie State would be a hard match up with their length, which it was.

I can see a flat out loss in this next one.

The difference is you're telling me things I didn't write but thanks for following me.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

9 is too few, but for this team, I'd say 20 is too many (unless they're firing on all cylinders). I don't like the idea of forcing it, but it would be a good idea to run the occasional set play to get Jaren or Gabe a good look.

• Agree
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I expect him to play, maybe even start tomorrow night. Missing a few practices this time in the season isn't going to hurt his play at all.

His back may feel fine at game time. Won't know until he puts it under game pressure if it will hold up or not.

If it does he just goes. If not.......he doesn't.

This isn't straight forward like a broken finger.

Reactions: CySmurf

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
If teams are going to sag off of Lipsey at the 3pt line, he has to pull the trigger some to at least keep the defense honest and maybe open up the dribble drive more for himself and others.

He isn't supposed to shoot.