Campustown Bars: Where Should CW & Blum Go?

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
Is FAC still a thing? When I was there (2006-10), Sgt Peppers was about the only place with a crowd, and it was terrible keg beer, 90% dudes, and a dangerously slick floor. Seemed like FAC was a thing of the past unfortunately.

I've been to Es Tas somewhat recently and didn't feel out of place. I don't think I could handle Paddy's, Cy's, Mickey's, or any other place with a ****** college bar feel. WAS would probably be fine.
2010-2013 here... we went to mickeys for FAC $1 busch light tall boys. around 6ish they'd bring in a bunch of pizza. it was great. I never saw a friday night past 10:30.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My sons who graduated from ISU all made me go to WAS and/or Es Tas during graduation weekend. The oldest one, a bunch of the basketball team was there. If an old lady like me can handle them, I think the guys will be fine there. But would be way more fun if they pushed their limits and went to the other bars.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I think they should check out Grand Daddy's behind the Burger King on Lincoln Way where Sam Mack from the basketball team committed robbery.

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Face it guys. You just need to act your age and wander a little south on Welsh to Stomping Grounds now that it has the bar from Bar LaTasca.

@ChrisMWilliams @brentblum

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
All I can say is, good luck. I went back to "the Hill" in Cedar Falls when I was 31. Even then I physically felt, and felt like I looked, way too old to be there. I went back to school later in life too, didn't graduate until I had turned 25, so it wasn't like I had been gone for that long. Still felt way out of touch and super old.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Paddy's then head down the back stairs to Sips at 130 to uh.... you know

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
really?! mickeys still got $1 tallboys at FAC? fajita man mark still slinging them? super dogs?
Someone bought the Super Dogs guy out a few years back I believe, so assume it's still there just under different ownership. I hope Chris, Fajita Man, is still there. That was an every weekend night stop for my last year or 2 in Ames.

Reactions: Dr.bannedman

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
WAS, Cafe B, Mothers, and Thumbs are acceptable campustown options, in my opinion.
Alternatively, you could walk East from the RV lot. Walking to Cellar 626 then, Cornbred or Sweet Caroline’s to eat, and then hit Torrent, Della Viti, Whiskey River, and maybe Sportsman's/London Underground/Angry Irishman before turning in for the night.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
WAS, Cafe B, Mothers, and Thumbs are acceptable campustown options, in my opinion.
Alternatively, you could walk East from the RV lot. Walking to Cellar 626 then, Cornbred or Sweet Caroline’s to eat, and then hit Torrent, Della Viti, Whiskey River, and maybe Sportsman's/London Underground/Angry Irishman before turning in for the night.
Noir is pretty rad, too. But I’d hate to ruin Chris’s belief that Main Street is (still) lame.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron