Campustown Bars: Where Should CW & Blum Go?

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
Your never too old…..go where you want.

GT’s father may or may not have stumbled down the steps at Cy’s as he was leaving while GT was in school.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Cafe B, Mothers, Thumbs, than east to London Underground

Reactions: Bocy

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Welch Ave Station is about the only bar on Welch I enjoy anymore and I'm usually going there before a BB game so it's not like I'm going when Welch bars are the busiest. Whiskey River on Main is probably my other favorite at the moment too. Mickeys and Cy's Roost I can tolerate but have no desire to go into Paddys or Sips anymore.

The original Cy's Roost before they renovated it after they lost their liquor license in the early 2000's was better IMO. Had a kitchen right inside the door and $1 burger night on Weds with beer specials usually had a line out the door.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Welch Ave Station is about the only bar on Welch I enjoy anymore and I'm usually going there before a BB game so it's not like I'm going when Welch bars are the busiest. Whiskey River on Main is probably my other favorite at the moment too. Mickeys and Cy's Roost I can tolerate but have no desire to go into Paddys or Sips anymore.

The original Cy's Roost before they renovated it after they lost their liquor license in the early 2000's was better IMO. Had a kitchen right inside the door and $1 burger night on Weds with beer specials usually had a line out the door.
So many places back in the day had buck burgers. I know Paddys, Peoples, and Diamond Daves did too.

Bocy

Nov 27, 2016
Central IA
As a dude in his 40's, the places where I don't feel too out of place (At least most of the night -- it gets younger as the night goes one) are WAS and Cafe B.

Some things never change, and thankfully neither has changed much since my college days. The only real changes to WAS is they accept credit cards (which would probably have been dangerous when I was in college) and someone stole Brook from the men's bathroom wall... (Perpetrator still at large, I assume -- huge travesty).

Recommend both for anyone a bit longer in the tooth than the standard college kid.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Welch Ave, Es Tas, Thumbs, Mothers. Outlaws will probably have a country band.

My cousin and I did a brief Campustown bar crawl after the SEMO game. We felt pretty old every where but WAS.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
So many places back in the day had buck burgers. I know Paddys, Peoples, and Diamond Daves did too.
Where was the place that had the dollar chili night (circa 2004)? I feel like it was by the west Hyvee but I could be wrong. I have no clue what is even over there now as I don't get to that part of town when I am in Ames anymore.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Where was the place that had the dollar chili night (circa 2004)? I feel like it was by the west Hyvee but I could be wrong. I have no clue what is even over there now as I don't get to that part of town when I am in Ames anymore.
This has me stumped. Could it have been Wallabys?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Man, I remember some great times FACing at Sgt. Peppers with a bunch of middle aged people. A whole group of us would usually start there with $.25 draws and it seemed like every week there was some random group of middle aged people we would corrupt. One particular time it was a group of 4-5 guys and their wives were shopping somewhere and when the wives got there I'm not sure which of groups they were unimpressed by, but it was certainly one of us.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
No. It was in that strip mall or it used to be a strip mall to the east of that hyvee. They had a big projector they put games on. We used to go there once and a while for dollar chilli and watch MACtion on Tuesdays. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Is FAC still a thing? When I was there (2006-10), Sgt Peppers was about the only place with a crowd, and it was terrible keg beer, 90% dudes, and a dangerously slick floor. Seemed like FAC was a thing of the past unfortunately.

I've been to Es Tas somewhat recently and didn't feel out of place. I don't think I could handle Paddy's, Cy's, Mickey's, or any other place with a ****** college bar feel. WAS would probably be fine.
I was only there for two years but my junior year SGt Peppers was the place. My senior year it was Element. Progressive pitchers starting at 3. I'd spend like 12 dollars and be good for the entire night. Mickeys basement included.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
No. It was in that strip mall or it used to be a strip mall to the east of that hyvee. They had a big projector they put games on. We used to go there once and a while for dollar chilli and watch MACtion on Tuesdays. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.
West Cyde Wings?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
West Cyde Wings?
YES!! I think that was it!! I had a beer with the old wrestling wrestling coach Bobby Douglas in there about a year after he got canned for Cael. That conversation was as awkward as it was intense.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Wallaby’s is the only place I can remember being out that way, but I think maybe there was another place I never went to.

I assumed Cafe B is what used to be Grubsteak back in the ancient days when I was in school. I did go in the Cafe B version once when one of my sons was working in Ames over the summer and we were looking to watch soccer on TV. The guys would fit right in with that crowd.

There was some kind of sort of creepy disco place in the 1980’s that I went to once when friends wanted to go. I think maybe that is where AJ’s is now. It was in the vicinity of the convenience store at Welch and Chamberlain that was a 7-11 in my day, a Kum & Go now I think. The football team lived in Towers and the 7-11 cashiers frequently just let them take stuff without paying.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Oof, I'd imagine 2008ish?

From what I remember their wings were better than b-dubs, it was just always a service issue.
LOL Oh it definitely was. I remember the chili was served in these super thin crappy styrofoam bowls that you had to be careful not to break. And you always ordered two at a time because you never new when you would be able to get another one.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Oof, I'd imagine 2008ish?

From what I remember their wings were better than b-dubs, it was just always a service issue.

BWW opened spring 2011. WCW (f/k/a Wings To Go) might have made it to 2012.

Reactions: JP4CY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron