Campustown Redevelopment

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Ames has always been a house party place rather than a bar place. I agree that campustown is actually pretty crap.

Go to Purdue or Illinois or Wisconsin and see the vast difference
I’ve been to Illinois. It was okay. Nothing special.

But agree on your overall point.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Not in Campustown, but west of there (block west of baseball field)

and now they have to modify the plans

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
I guess I’m in the minority but as a 30 year old, that now lives in Arizona, that goes back to Ames once a year for a football game, I still love campus town. It’s fun to go back to all the gross college bars, even if I am 7-8 years older than everyone else there.

To the people saying there needs to be an “alumni friendly” option in campus town, that’s a bit nicer than fast food or a bar, I don’t necessarily disagree. I just think about how hard it is for any business, retail or food/drink, to survive in campustown and I don’t see how a place like that would last more than a couple of years.
For me, the profile of the alumni friendly establishment is Whiskey River on Main Street. I’ve also been gone from ISU for quite a bit longer; so maybe it doesn’t fit what you are looking for.

Reactions: Frak and Cyclonsin

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
The Daily has an article about major renovations to LeBaron Hall. It didn’t seem great back in the 80’s but all I had there was Speech and German. An emphasis seems to be improving tech access in the building.

• Informative
Reactions: cytor

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
For me, the profile of the alumni friendly establishment is Whiskey River on Main Street. I’ve also been gone from ISU for quite a bit longer; so maybe it doesn’t fit what you are looking for.
It's not on campus.

Whiskey River is a nice spot though.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
My rule is pretty basic. If college students go to a bar with the sole purpose of hooking up, it should be avoided. Sips, AJs (or whatever), Cys, it’s not for alumni. I think you can throw in Mickeys and Paddy’s as well.
Places like Es Tas, Welch Ave, BNC are acceptable. Also be mindful of the time. Closing down a campus bar in your 30s is not a good look.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
My rule is pretty basic. If college students go to a bar with the sole purpose of hooking up, it should be avoided. Sips, AJs (or whatever), Cys, it’s not for alumni. I think you can throw in Mickeys and Paddy’s as well.
Places like Es Tas, Welch Ave, BNC are acceptable. Also be mindful of the time. Closing down a campus bar in your 30s is not a good look.
Thank goodness I am over 50 so that doesn't apply to me. Who am I kidding? I wouldn't stay awake past 11:00.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Meh if your 30 something and snag some young stuff, good for you whether you are male or female.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I guess I’m in the minority but as a 30 year old, that now lives in Arizona, that goes back to Ames once a year for a football game, I still love campus town. It’s fun to go back to all the gross college bars, even if I am 7-8 years older than everyone else there.

To the people saying there needs to be an “alumni friendly” option in campus town, that’s a bit nicer than fast food or a bar, I don’t necessarily disagree. I just think about how hard it is for any business, retail or food/drink, to survive in campustown and I don’t see how a place like that would last more than a couple of years.
I’m torn on this one. I would love a more “all ages” type bar/restaurant in campus town. But there are multiple problems with this. First is parking. People aren’t going to want to go out to eat and have a few beers if they have to walk 2 blocks to get there or risk getting a ticket. Second is that property prices are crazy there. You have to make money and I have no idea how places like Mayhem Collectibles stays in business. Third, for better or worse, college students trash places. There’s too many that can’t handle their liquor or just don’t care whether they destroy property. Fourth, there are a bunch of bar/restaurant district in Ames. Not only campustown and main st, but sommerset, duff and eventually cytown. I just don’t know if a nice place would work there.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I kinda agree. I’m now officially old. I don’t really care to go to campustown and get a bunch of looks from students like “what’s the old guy doing in here?” I remember giving those looks back in the day. That said, I still like going into WAS once in awhile.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I have a group of friends in their 30's and 40's who like to do a "pub crawl" in Campustown on the Saturday of spring break. However, they arrived so early that the only place they could go at first was Macubana! Most of the other places had not yet opened. :D

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I’m torn on this one. I would love a more “all ages” type bar/restaurant in campus town. But there are multiple problems with this. First is parking. People aren’t going to want to go out to eat and have a few beers if they have to walk 2 blocks to get there or risk getting a ticket. Second is that property prices are crazy there. You have to make money and I have no idea how places like Mayhem Collectibles stays in business. Third, for better or worse, college students trash places. There’s too many that can’t handle their liquor or just don’t care whether they destroy property. Fourth, there are a bunch of bar/restaurant district in Ames. Not only campustown and main st, but sommerset, duff and eventually cytown. I just don’t know if a nice place would work there.
Yeah your 4th point gets at the heart of the issue to me, which I didn't state well. The best campus entertainment areas are incorporated into the city itself. Ames is separated into 4 or 5 different areas with the campus cut off from the rest. It's too bad because the campus and the university are the best elements of Ames. There is no incentive to build anything new or updated in a block devoted to college kid debauchery.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I kinda agree. I’m now officially old. I don’t really care to go to campustown and get a bunch of looks from students like “what’s the old guy doing in here?” I remember giving those looks back in the day. That said, I still like going into WAS once in awhile.
1000011568.gif

Reactions: Candide and Frak

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Welch Ave Station is the best bar in the damn state it’s what every bar should be. Only downside is it’s in a basement but that’s a testament to the quality
The only way WAS could be improved is by charging proper dive bar prices. It always surprises me a bit when I close out there.

Otherwise it's damn near perfect.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
How are alumni supposed to know which bars exist purely for hooking up?

I was eyeing opportunities to hook up literally every time I left my house in college. Christ, given your logic I shouldn't go tailgating or to games.

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
I will most likely be “closing down” Cys as a 31 year old the weekend of the Baylor game in October. Hope to see you there.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
For the love of all that exists, please tell me the bolded is a typo and you don’t actually draw the line of “too far to walk” at a mere 2 blocks.
Pricing wise, higher prices = fewer students = more locals & alumni visitors. That’s oversimplified but the gist of ‘pricing out’ college students who just want to party. Throw in an earlier closing time too.

Agree with the last part. It’s too disjointed for any one area to be truly desirable. As someone in my mid-30s I tend toward Main St, but do enjoy stopping at Es Tas for 3 tacos and a drink or two in the afternoon during my semi-annual return to Ames.