(Cole Bair) Mark Farley quote

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
In the 1st half, before we called off the dogs and played mainly 2nd and 3rd stringers on defense, 23 year old 6th year senior Theo was 3-10 with 2 interceptions.

Meanwhile, redshirt freshman Becht finished the game 10/13 with 2 touchdowns, no interceptions, and a QB rating that I believe was over 200.

If Theo is the best QB in the state, he sure fooled me today.
Between that comment, the "maybe their defense was better than we thought they were", and the "best game in the state" comment, I think Farleys true feelings about Big 12 football and Iowa State showed through a little bit this year through the otherwise standard complimentary coach speak he peppers in every once in a while to mask it. He doesn't think nearly as highly of either as he should.

He seemed genuinely very upset with this game and really didn't say anything like "ISU was a really good football team" or "Campbell/Heacock do a tremendous job" like we hear from other opponents. Compare it to a Big 12 opponent HC post-game and the difference is jarring. Even KF doesn't lay it on as thick as Farley did yesterday.

Purple Hok BS.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
I stated earlier if Theo Day was an NFL caliber QB he wouldn’t be playing at UNI. Other D1 P5 coaches would have been in his ear when he decided to transfer if the talent was evident. Yes, he put up good numbers last year against lower level defenses and he very well could do it again. As far as Farley’s comments post game, I give him lots of rope. He has faced the hurdles of recruiting and running a good program with less resources his entire career. His players need a coach with a chip on his shoulder.

Reactions: NENick

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I stated earlier if Theo Day was an NFL caliber QB he wouldn’t be playing at UNI. Other D1 P5 coaches would have been in his ear when he decided to transfer if the talent was evident. Yes, he put up good numbers last year against lower level defenses and he very well could do it again. As far as Farley’s comments post game, I give him lots of rope. He has faced the hurdles of recruiting and running a good program with less resources his entire career. His players need a coach with a chip on his shoulder.
Theo Day is a bottom of the Big 12 level QB. Wouldn't be the worst in the conference, but would be below average.

Reactions: CycloneVet

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I know a few players that have played (all started) for Farley. Let’s just say none of them did/would invite him to their weddings or send Xmas cards to him.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
A win over an FBS team is like hitting the jackpot in terms of securing an FCS playoff spot at the end of the season. If Mark Farley is bitter this morning, it's because he knows that given how vanilla ISU always handles this game, they lost a huge opportunity to be in the playoff even if they have an average rest of their season. He knows his team has holes, won't dominate in the Valley, and won't get another chance again this year to secure that golden ticket. It's why the offseason prep for an Iowa or ISU game is so different there. There's a lot riding on it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
A win over an FBS team is like hitting the jackpot in terms of securing an FCS playoff spot at the end of the season. If Mark Farley is bitter this morning, it's because he knows that given how vanilla ISU always handles this game, they lost a huge opportunity to be in the playoff even if they have an average rest of their season. He knows his team has holes, won't dominate in the Valley, and won't get another chance again this year to secure that golden ticket. It's why the offseason prep for an Iowa or ISU game is so different there. There's a lot riding on it.

Beating an FBS team matters for their playoff situation?

I just thought it was just standings among those conferences.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

Plus I’m sure he’s frustrated that he cannot recreate the UNI of old and is ow under .500 (15-16) since 2020.

Like many coaches who have been at a school forever, the game is passing or has passed him by.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009

“Credit them. Maybe they were better than I thought they were.”

Eat **** Farley
He’s still salty he’s never been considered for ISU HC jobs.

Reactions: salennon07

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Plus I’m sure he’s frustrated that he cannot recreate the UNI of old and is ow under .500 (15-16) since 2020.

Like many coaches who have been at a school forever, the game is passing or has passed him by.
His budget was never below top 3 in the Valley and top 10 in the FCS until 2016. He's now got the smallest budget in the Valley (other than Western Illinois who's leaving) and 53rd in the FCS. It's not Mark, it's that he's not given the resources to compete.

He had to find a donor to cover the hotel bill on Friday night because he didn't have it in his budget.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
His budget was never below top 3 in the Valley and top 10 in the FCS until 2016. He's now got the smallest budget in the Valley (other than Western Illinois who's leaving) and 53rd in the FCS. It's not Mark, it's that he's not given the resources to compete.

He had to find a donor to cover the hotel bill on Friday night because he didn't have it in his budget.
And he's an insufferable prick. Don't forget that part.

EDIT: O look...the cowardly lurker in the shadows, Mr. Pantherhawk Carbon Monoxide @criticalobserver himself has appeared. To you, Sir, I say "Nice job, you sad little man. You really clicked that button like a champ."

Last edited:

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009

They couldn’t use money from the ISU paycheck for the buy game?

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa

That’s too bad. The future of UNI sports looks bleak if this is what’s happening in football as well as the issues within the wrestling program. Not sure the process but is there a world where the transition to NAIA ever if playing D1 isn’t sustainable?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

I suppose he preferred the 6 pm games so he could bud in and out. 1 pm means he would have had to leave CF around 7 am. Doesn’t seem that terribly early.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I don't understand all the hatred on here for Theo Day. I think his performance yesterday had a lot more to do with ISU's defense than it did with his actual talent. He's shown he's a talented QB... but he didn't look good against ISU's defense.

I give credit to ISU... don't hate Theo at all. Had he been playing for us yesterday, I bet he would have had a pretty good day.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't understand all the hatred on here for Theo Day. I think his performance yesterday had a lot more to do with ISU's defense than it did with his actual talent. He's shown he's a talented QB... but he didn't look good against ISU's defense.

I give credit to ISU... don't hate Theo at all. Had he been playing for us yesterday, I bet he would have had a pretty good day.

Is anyone saying they hate him?

JimmyChitwood

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 3, 2015
Southern Iowa

Then shut down the program

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
I agree. They had no running game to speak of and his protection wasn't good. He was playing against a top flight defense. He didn't have a good day yesterday, but he should be evaluated on his whole body of work. UNI has a tough road because over half their student body, let alone alumni, are ISU or Iowa fans.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron