Cyclones a contender in 2024

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
All of their success comes in years they don’t play the Big 10 powers.
and the only titles they have won in the modern era are when the Big 10 did not have a championship game, and they tied for the title. Oh, and most of the time they did not play the team the tied, so they were co-champs.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
The fact we can even have this discussion routinely shouldn't be overlooked. We’re 8 years removed from the doldrums.
People forget how bad we used to be consistently. I remember Campbell got like 4 wins that first year and that was a highly successful season. A lot of younger people that have basically grown up as a cyclone fan with Campbell as a coach seem to not appreciate these 7-6 seasons like we all do. With that said, I do remember the season after the fiesta bowl and our insanely high projections and the disappointment of going 7-6. That was a tough one and I refuse to let myself give unfair expectations like that season. A lot of returning young talent and 7 wins should be very attainable but will be very disappointing for a lot of people

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
As I look at 2024, it can be a great year. I am thinking 8-4 is out there. It would be nice to start the non conf strong and start 3-0. That is such a struggle for us some years. I am significantly more worried about the defense than the offese this year, here is why:

1) The offense has a top 3 QB in the league in Rocco. We have above avg running backs in Sama, Hansen, and the new guy from Arizona Dylan Lee is supposed to be a stud. The WRs are excellent with Higgins and Noel. The TE position is set with a future pro in Brahmer. OL should be improved as well

2) Depending on analytics site you use, our total defense last year ranged from #45 to #50 overall: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2023-team-defense.html

So if you assess the power 5 is about 65 teams, being ranked about 45 is bottom half to bottom third. That isn't the type of defense that allows you to win conference titles.

I like Tyler Onyedim on the edge, he's a future pro. Our safeties in Verdon and Cooper are also future pros and all conference caliber. Who outside of these guys strikes fear into the opponent though?

I feel pretty good about Purchase and Jontez Williams at CB. The LBers and D line have a ways to go for me (outside of Oneydim).

I also fear that opposing teams in the league have figured out our rush 3 drop 8 scheme. It worked early on because it was so unique. Now - a lot of teams have copied this. We also don't have a Will McDonald anymore to beat double teams when we rush 3. Our sack numbers were abysmal in '23.

I would love to be proven wrong this year but I fear the defense could hold us back. I seriously hope we get some development in scheme (can we use Zachery Lovett more in a pure speed edge rushing role, he's good at that), or can we use more blitzers off the edge more. We need to get more creative on D I feel.

I also want to see certain guys on D take the next step. Dom Orange, Will McClaughlin, we need both of them to up their game in a big way, they're talented athlets and have that potential. Also, can transfer Kenard Snyder from Louisiana make a difference in the pass rush game?

Long story longer, I have many more questions on the defense than the offense. I feel the offense is going to thrive in most games. Two toughest games will be at Iowa and at Utah. This is a good year that we get to skip Colorado as they will be kinda stacked.

Last edited:
Reactions: 83cy

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
and the only titles they have won in the modern era are when the Big 10 did not have a championship game, and they tied for the title. Oh, and most of the time they did not play the team the tied, so they were co-champs.
We’ve really won a more legitimate conference title then they have this century.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
My spring assessment is 8-4. I'd hope to make that the floor for this season's expectation.

"Assumed" loss at Iowa. Pencil-in loss at Utah. Lose 2 vs. KU/KSU/West Virginia or go 2-1 with those, then a "shoulda" W becomes L (but not "Ohio-bad.")

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
People forget how bad we used to be consistently. I remember Campbell got like 4 wins that first year and that was a highly successful season. A lot of younger people that have basically grown up as a cyclone fan with Campbell as a coach seem to not appreciate these 7-6 seasons like we all do. With that said, I do remember the season after the fiesta bowl and our insanely high projections and the disappointment of going 7-6. That was a tough one and I refuse to let myself give unfair expectations like that season. A lot of returning young talent and 7 wins should be very attainable but will be very disappointing for a lot of people
Campbells first year had three wins, and I don’t think anyone considered that a highly successful season. We’ve had fewer than 3 wins 6 times since Johnny Majors took over almost 60 years ago. Now, the team had the huge win vs TTU and Mahomes, but it was not a successful season.

Beat by UNI. Completely destroyed by Iowa. Beat terrible KU and San Jose State. It was expected, and some reason for optimism, but it was not a good season.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
NoDak - W
@ Iowa - L
Ark St - W
@ Houston - W (tossup)
Baylor - W
@ WVU - L
UCF - W (tossup)
Tech - W
@ KU - L (tossup)
Cincy - W
@ Utah - L
KSU - W (tossup)

8-4, factoring in tossups anywhere from 5-7 to 9-3 is possible. We have great experience coming back, but the schedule isn’t easy. We’ll see.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
NoDak - W
@ Iowa - L
Ark St - W
@ Houston - W (tossup)
Baylor - W
@ WVU - L
UCF - W (tossup)
Tech - W
@ KU - L (tossup)
Cincy - W
@ Utah - L
KSU - W (tossup)

8-4, factoring in tossups anywhere from 5-7 to 9-3 is possible. We have great experience coming back, but the schedule isn’t easy. We’ll see.
Every road game has facets that suck and none of them are gimmes.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyched

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
People who have written off this season already really haven't looked at the schedule at all. Our 3 toughest games are road games at Iowa, Utah, and Kansas (assuming KU is still as good as they were last year). With this schedule I would be disappointed if we didn't win at least 7 games - and the reason why we're being picked as a sleeper for the CFP is because with a schedule this weak we have a very good chance of finding ourselves in Dallas for an extra game. Not saying it will happen, but the path is there.
This is a great point, the schedule is unlike any schedule any of us have ever seen.

There are really 2 games we might be underdogs in. Iowa and Utah, and Iowa isn’t going to be much again.

Honestly they should win 9 to 10, the schedule is just way way worse vs anything we have ever seen, but I’m expecting 7.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Good lord, Campbell had like 2 disappointing seasons, and 1 of those would be considered "good" in a historical context. WTF is up with the attitude in this thread?
This will anger some, and others will say "it's about time": Many posters are sounding like Iowa Cyclones/Iowa State Hawkeyes.

Dgilbertson

Sep 16, 2023
Campbells first year had three wins, and I don’t think anyone considered that a highly successful season. We’ve had fewer than 3 wins 6 times since Johnny Majors took over almost 60 years ago. Now, the team had the huge win vs TTU and Mahomes, but it was not a successful season.

Beat by UNI. Completely destroyed by Iowa. Beat terrible KU and San Jose State. It was expected, and some reason for optimism, but it was not a good season.
They showed promise in the end of the year. But it was a reality check.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia

I agree I shouldn’t have said successful season but a optimistic season

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I agree I shouldn’t have said successful season but a optimistic season
For sure it was worth being optimistic. There were also a couple losses like Baylor and Okie St where the team played well. The last half of the season they looked like a solid team.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones12321

Carnegie

Jul 10, 2019
We have a lot of experienced players back this year, so no longer "we are young" excuses. I have to say after our last bowl game debacle, seems hard for me to see a 10 win season.

Xerxes_

Sep 10, 2023
What a bunch of Debbie downers in this thread. Yes, CMC’s teams have drastically underachieved, however, ISU now has the equivalent to a B1G west schedule. Wouldn’t shock me if we win 9 regular season games, 10 if we can beat UI

Hopefully CMC can have a better record against that equivalent to a B1G West schedule than he actually had against the B1G West.