Cyclones in the XFL

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Makes way more sense than having two competing leagues for the spring market. Hopefully this will succeed where all others have failed. Can't say I've been an avid fan of any of them, but I could be persuaded if they can persist for long enough to get something established.
Having something of a partnership with the NFL rather than competing hopefully will push them over the top. The NFL should really like having a developmental league for guys on the cusp rather than having to just rely on the college ranks.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
I think they're just done. None of them really drew crowds anyhow. They have the right markets to make it work.
Not to mention that the USFL teams being shed never even played in their home city.

The only real loss is the XFL's Seattle team as they were solidly supported and pretty good. Orlando and Vegas were pretty big flops.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Having something of a partnership with the NFL rather than competing hopefully will push them over the top. The NFL should really like having a developmental league for guys on the cusp rather than having to just rely on the college ranks.
Not just for players, either. It's a wonderful place for the NFL to give rule changes it's considering a test run before messing with the main product. Personally, I'd love to see the XFL's kick-off rules come to the NFL.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Not to mention that the USFL teams being shed never even played in their home city.

The only real loss is the XFL's Seattle team as they were solidly supported and pretty good. Orlando and Vegas were pretty big flops.
I didn't watch a ton, but I remember catching a Seattle game and I didn't think they were on the same level as DC, Houston, or St Louis.

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
I didn't watch a ton, but I remember catching a Seattle game and I didn't think they were on the same level as DC, Houston, or St Louis.
Agreed.

According to attendance #s they were on par with Arlington, They did much better than Orlando/Vegas, but still didn't do enough to compel the league to keep them around.

I think the they picked the right teams.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I think Seattle might have held on, but being a geographic outlier probably kept them out. It is a good thing they got to this point, a lot of money was lost between both leagues trying to prove the relative benefits of their independent business models for a football league.

Despite losing $60 million last year, I think the XFL won the war by doubling down on real fan bases, and now gets the benefit of the full backing of three tv networks who were more involved with the USFL. This combined league stands a shot. Seattle may get an opportunity in a few years if the UFL flourishes, but I bet they will not be real quick to expand unless the profitability comes quickly.

Reactions: PickSix

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
San Antonio re-added Landen Akers to their roster today.

This marks the fourth player out of ISU in the new look league.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY