Nov. 20 Northern Arizona
Nov. 25-26 Nugget Classic (Reno, Nev.)
Nov. 25 vs. Penn State
Nov. 26 vs. Butler or Nevada
Dec. 4 at Michigan
Dec. 7 Iowa (Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series)
Dec. 11 Mississippi Valley State
Dec. 20 Northern Iowa
Dec. 29-30 Cyclone Challenge (Ames, Iowa)
Dec. 29 New Hampshire
Dec. 30 New Jersey Institute of Technology or Buffalo

Cyclones Release Non-Conference Schedule - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Man, I hate that schedule, too.

I like thinking that there will be one noncon, non-Iowa game on these basketball schedules that looks interesting, and happens at Hilton.

Penn State? I'm not sure if they're good though. Other than that, it looks pretty boring.

Edit: Ah, I now see it's in Vegas.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
UNI ought to be good. They had a solid team last season and return 5 of their top 6 scorers.

Define "solid," since I don't follow WBB as much.

I've considered buying tickets this year and seeing some women's games. With this schedule, I don't really want to think about it. I've seen the Houston Baptist men, and that was one too many Houston Baptist teams for me.

Our basketball scheduling for the non-conference games just stinks.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net

I've considered buying tickets this year and seeing some women's games. With this schedule, I don't really want to think about it. I've seen the Houston Baptist men, and that was one too many Houston Baptist teams for me.

We struggled to beat UNI @ UNI last season. UNI finished the season 27-6 with an official RPI of 41 (we were 34). They were 17-1 in the MVC and won their conference tournament (margins of victory: 30, 17, 28) before losing by three to Michigan State in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

In retrospect, "solid" is likely underselling them.

Last edited:

simville02

Mar 25, 2009

The conference schedule, especially now without Nebraska & Colorado and playing more conference games, is too tough to not have a somewhat easy nonconference.

UNI has done very well in the past years. Last year's game was very close. Iowa State ended up winning by 10, but a great game. I believe UNI was ahead at halftime. We only won because Christofferson was able to really step it up and score big.

However, I think we've beaten them like eight times in a row.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
We struggled to beat UNI @ UNI last season. UNI finished the season 27-6 with an official RPI of 41 (we were 34). They were 17-1 in the MVC and won their conference tournament before losing by three to Michigan State in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

"Solid" is likely underselling them.

OK, that's good info.

Why not somebody from outside of the state, just to build some excitement?

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
UNI has done very well in the past years. Last year's game was very close. Iowa State ended up winning by 10, but a great game. I believe UNI was ahead at halftime. We only won because Christofferson was able to really step it up and score big.

However, I think we've beaten them like eight times in a row.

I was at the game, and it was definitely closer than the 10 point margin would imply. Looking at a game story, ISU was down for most of the first 25 minutes of the game, and the lead was only 4 with around 90 seconds left before ISU hit FT down the stretch.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
OK, that's good info.

Why not somebody from outside of the state, just to build some excitement?

Good question. I suspect with the home-and-home in-state games and other home-and-home series (like Creighton and Minnesota in the past and the Big 10/12 challenge now) plus the annual trip around Thanksgiving, ISU is trying to avoid too many other road games. You aren't going to bring in a good (or even decent) team without a home-and-home agreement.

That's my guess, at least.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
The conference schedule, especially now without Nebraska & Colorado and playing more conference games, is too tough to not have a somewhat easy nonconference.

This is the other factor (even before the loss of those two). You want to avoid dipping below, say, 18-12 overall, and when a 7-9 conf record (or now 8-10) is a possibility you need to avoid too many non-conf losses.

simville02

Mar 25, 2009
I was at the game, and it was definitely closer than the 10 point margin would imply. Looking at a game story, ISU was down for most of the first 25 minutes of the game, and the lead was only 4 with around 90 seconds left before ISU hit FT down the stretch.

I remember it being very, very scary for awhile. It was the same day Iowa State beat Creighton in mbb at Wells Fargo Arena as well. A very crazy day, but came out with two wins.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
I can't wait for the Exhibition Opener! Wish the Kohawks could have played at Hilton last year, but it will still be fun for me this year.

Coe finished last year ranked in the top 15 for Division III and made it to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament, losing to eventual Final Four team Illinois Wesleyan by 3.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
It's a pretty typical non-conf schedule. I'm sure the program believes that it has a good track record preparing the team for the conference schedule, so why change what has been working. A lot of fans want the in-state rivalries, they are typically exciting to watch (except at Iowa), and there are two at Hilton this year. In some ways, the pressure of those games is better prep than many other games might be.

The Reno tourney has good teams. Penn State played in the NCAA tourney last year. They return almost everyone, including one of the best guards in the country in Maggie Lucas (Big Ten Freshman of the Year, participated in WUG trials). Another guard, Bentley, is also excellent. They will be a challenge. All the Big Ten teams will. It would be fun to have Penn State and Michigan in Hilton this year, but Michigan was here last year.

simville02

Mar 25, 2009
A little random, but does anyone know where to find Oklahoma State's 2011-2012 schedule? The school website still lists 2010-2011.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Nov. 1 Exhibition (Coe College)
Nov. 6 Exhibition (Rockhurst (Mo.)
Nov. 11 Houston Baptist
Nov. 15 at Drake
Nov. 20 Northern Arizona
Nov. 25-26 Nugget Classic (Reno, Nev.)
Nov. 25 vs. Penn State
Nov. 26 vs. Butler or Nevada
Dec. 4 at Michigan
Dec. 7 Iowa (Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series)
Dec. 11 Mississippi Valley State
Dec. 20 Northern Iowa
Dec. 29-30 Cyclone Challenge (Ames, Iowa)
Dec. 29 New Hampshire
Dec. 30 New Jersey Institute of Technology or Buffalo

Cyclones Release Non-Conference Schedule - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

WTF. Is this a legit Division I school?

simville02

Mar 25, 2009
WTF. Is this a legit Division I school?

NJIT Officially Gains Active NCAA Division I Membership
Teams and athletes will be eligible for Division I championships starting September 1
NEWARK, NJ—NJIT athletics has officially gained across-the-board active membership in NCAA
Division I, beginning September 1, 2009.

http://www.njithighlanders.com/docu...lyActive_NCAA_Divison_I_Membership.pdf?id=185
http://www.njithighlanders.com/documents/2008/8/28/GENERAL.pdf?id=19
NJIT: About: Fast Facts About NJIT

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron