Cyclones Release Non-Conference Schedule

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I understand we rarely (if ever) play an elite non-conf opponent (Top 15 or so) at home in the non-conference, but we are playing four games against teams that are around our level, and I think that can prepare us for the conference season well enough.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
I understand the frustration about the schedule, but we do have two top-50 teams (based on year-end RPI) visiting ISU in the non-conference. The fact that they are Iowa (#23) and UNI (#41) may not make for great novelty, but it doesn't make them pushovers. Additionally, we are playing @ Michigan (#60) and in Reno vs. Penn State (#30).

All of those teams finished the season with a higher RPI than TCU (#71), Minnesota (#120), Cal (#88) and Yale (#210), and three were higher than Purdue (#42) and Virginia (#58). USC (#33) and Vandy (#36) are in the same neighborhood as our opponents.

While I would like to see some interesting match-ups, I don't think this is the season for adding one, especially when the in-state teams this year are already going to be enough of a challenge.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
They are schools NYCy listed as good opponents fellow Big 12 teams are playing in non-conference.

OK, I'd forgotten that was there. Good call.

I'm sure they feel this is what they need to get ready. It just lacks any sort of draw to it.

We can relate the RPI #s, but how many people that aren't hanging out on message boards look that up? How many of us (myself included) actually look it up?

It doesn't necessarily have to be a top 5, 10, or 15 team. Just somebody whose name makes you go "I want to see that."

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I'm sure they feel this is what they need to get ready. It just lacks any sort of draw to it.
It doesn't necessarily have to be a top 5, 10, or 15 team. Just somebody whose name makes you go "I want to see that."

I think this is the primary complaint about ISU's scheduling. As someone who doesn't live close enough to go to games regularly, it doesn't bother me as much as it bothers local people. I don't blame you guys for being frustrated by that. We ought to be able to have at least one out-of-state major conference (or good mid-major) team at Hilton every season, and we don't have that this year. They aren't common for us:

11-12: none
10-11: Michigan
09-10: none
08-09: Minnesota, Vandy
07-08: Creighton
06-07: Minnesota
05-06: none

etc...

I just don't want people confusing a boring home schedule with a pushover creampuff schedule. It's not a hard schedule, but there are at least four games we can easily lose if we don't show up to play.

Last edited:

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
What are some teams you would like to see play at Hilton one day?

I'll start my dream list.

1. Tennessee, before Summit retires please.
North Carolina
Kentucky
Rutgers
Notre Dame
UCLA
Arizona St.
Florida
Ohio State
South Dakota State
UConn
Pittsburgh
Louisville
Duke
Florida St.
Maryland
DePaul
Marquette

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
I think this is the primary complaint about ISU's scheduling. As someone who doesn't live close enough to go to games regularly, it doesn't bother me as much as it bothers local people. I don't blame you guys for being frustrated by that. We ought to be able to have at least one out-of-state major conference (or good mid-major) team at Hilton every season, and we don't have that this year. They aren't common for us:

08-09: Minnesota

etc...

I just don't want people confusing a boring home schedule with a pushover creampuff schedule. It's not a hard schedule, but there are at least four games we can easily lose if we don't show up to play.

We did have a Vandy home and home.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica

08-09: Minnesota

etc...

You've got it.
In basketball, you can easily lose any game if you don't show up. I've watched South Dakota State win in Hilton against the men not long ago.

I also get concerned for long-term things:
1) Obviously, there's at least a perceived problem with strength-of-schedule come tournament time. The MBB program is going to have a real bear of a problem with that.

2) It doesn't generate excitement. The possibility of watching the New Jersey Institute of Technology is underwhelming. Granted, they probably lose and that doesn't happen, but how can we actually justify charging money to watch that?

3) It makes me wonder if the coaches or department are setting an artificial ceiling for the program with this scheduling. It doesn't exactly say "we're reaching for the stars." They will say we are, and work like we are, but then we schedule like we just hope to get by.

Switching back to men, Drake has Air Force coming. Not saying they're going to be good, but at least they're recognizable.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
You've got it.
In basketball, you can easily lose any game if you don't show up. I've watched South Dakota State win in Hilton against the men not long ago.

I also get concerned for long-term things:
1) Obviously, there's at least a perceived problem with strength-of-schedule come tournament time. The MBB program is going to have a real bear of a problem with that.

2) It doesn't generate excitement. The possibility of watching the New Jersey Institute of Technology is underwhelming. Granted, they probably lose and that doesn't happen, but how can we actually justify charging money to watch that?

3) It makes me wonder if the coaches or department are setting an artificial ceiling for the program with this scheduling. It doesn't exactly say "we're reaching for the stars." They will say we are, and work like we are, but then we schedule like we just hope to get by.

Switching back to men, Drake has Air Force coming. Not saying they're going to be good, but at least they're recognizable.

My sense too is that it is a budget issue. Don't we have to pay these teams to come to ISU? Unless we set up home/and/homes?

Also, I think BF is terribly concerned about playing the SDS and Green Bays of the world. While they have lots of respect, their RPIs of their conference could spell disaster for our RPI if we lost.

That being said, a loss to Tennessee or UConn, would not hurt our reputation.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
My sense too is that it is a budget issue. Don't we have to pay these teams to come to ISU? Unless we set up home/and/homes?

Also, I think BF is terribly concerned about playing the SDS and Green Bays of the world. While they have lots of respect, their RPIs of their conference could spell disaster for our RPI if we lost.

That being said, a loss to Tennessee or UConn, would not hurt our reputation.

Especially the last part.

I like the Rutgers idea. Rankings for the young fans, the Stringer connection for the older ones. That could be a fun home and home.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Actually, if we lost A&M to the SEC, my WBB fan inside me selfishly would prefer us to go the Big East. I know we say the Big 12 is the best conference for WBB, but I don't think that will be true without the Aggies. The Big East would bring a lot of very interesting match-ups, and there is a lot of diversity of play. It would also be nice to have some night's off for the team in conference play.

The easiest game in the Big 12 is against Missouri, and that is not going to be an easy out. I think that is BF's biggest concern is that the round robin schedule is going to be very draining for ISU, but also for the league. Don't kid yourself, the Big 12 South coaches are worried about it wearing down their teams too. The benefit that the SEC and Big East elite have is some nights in conference play, they can rest their starters half the game, that just won't happen in Big 12 conference play.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
We've had two solid chances to play them in the NCAA tournament and neither panned out. BYU upset us and then Green Bay upset them.

I think you mean Ball St. instead of Green Bay.

And I really thought we could have beaten TN when Ball St. upset them. Matter of fact, I believe I predicted we would win for a lot of reasons. That was by far and away one of Pat's weakest teams, egos abounded, but effort did not.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I think you mean Ball St. instead of Green Bay.

And I really thought we could have beaten TN when Ball St. upset them. Matter of fact, I believe I predicted we would win for a lot of reasons. That was by far and away one of Pat's weakest teams, egos abounded, but effort did not.

Yep. I was thinking of the wrong season. I'll fix that in my post.

And I agree with you about Tennessee. We had a really good team that season and Tennessee definitely did not.

That reminds me of when we were about to play Nebraska for the 2nd time the season they went undefeated. I was positive we were going to win that game. Then Lacey missed the game with a concussion and we still made a good game of it.

Last edited:

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
What good team wants to play in Iowa in the middle of winter between xmas and new years? Does ISU want to be on the road against a tough team before it faces a killer start to the Big 12 schedule (which is typical)? What good team wants to play in one of the toughest arenas in the country -- if there is no other incentive such as TV or local/regional matchup? The reason Baylor, OU, and A&M can get the good teams on their courts is that they have all been a national champion or played for it.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
What good team wants to play in Iowa in the middle of winter between xmas and new years? Does ISU want to be on the road against a tough team before it faces a killer start to the Big 12 schedule (which is typical)? What good team wants to play in one of the toughest arenas in the country -- if there is no other incentive such as TV or local/regional matchup? The reason Baylor, OU, and A&M can get the good teams on their courts is that they have all been a national champion or played for it.

Foget about marquee teams. There are plenty of good regional teams we could play, but choose not to. For example, Green Bay and South Dakota State. Minnesota played Green Bay last year at home - why can't we? Iowa had a home-and-home with SDSU - why can't we?

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
We've had two solid chances to play them in the NCAA tournament and neither panned out. BYU upset us and then Ball State upset them.

There was also a third time. Rutgers beat us in Ames in the late 90's and winner got to play Tenn. as well.