CyTown Announcement - Monday 9/19 (Links in OP)

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
This just seems really nitpicking. No one goes there because there is no reason to. This is the same distance as the MU from MWL.
That's my point. Students don't currently normally go there because there are few reasons to. So they shouldn't make it sound like they do. There's potential because of it's proximity though so it's important to capitalize as much as possible on the proximity.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
That's my point. Students don't currently normally go there because there are few reasons to. So they shouldn't make it sound like they do. There's potential because of it's proximity though so it's important to capitalize as much as possible on the proximity.

Student's will go to something like this if if is within walking distance for them. Plus this will provide student's with jobs that are within walking distance.

Reactions: HawaiiClone

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Love that they want to get going on construction in just a few months. Since construction is scheduled to "Fall 2024," I assume it won't be open and functional for the 2024 football season. Maybe the 2024-25 basketball season will be the first chance to check it out, with the 2025 football season serving as a full "grand opening."

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Hope that use some of the extra concrete for the RV Village roads! campbellPirate.png

Reactions: aauummm

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
The Summary notes "underground infrastructure".
Is this just footings and foundations or is there a plan for underground parking as part of CyTown?
I brought this up earlier and was quickly reminded it being in a flood plain. If they could somehow build a Power and Light style underground parking garage that would be amazing.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I brought this up earlier and was quickly reminded it being in a flood plain. If they could somehow build a Power and Light style underground parking garage that would be amazing.
You could go snorkeling in there in the spring, like those underground caves in Cozumel.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
To be fair, I believe somewhere in the original plan way back in the beginning it said something about a parking garage below the hotel between Stephens and Hilton. But not sure if that was really a plan or what. Could be one of those that part of the first couple stories and parking with hotel above. But I doubt it, I guess we will see.

Doesnt one of the new plans show some kind of parking structure next to Alumni Hall? It would not surprise me if someday somewhere around the area they build a parking structure. We all love our tailgating, but we also know there are plenty that just dont do it. So they could just as easily fill a parking structure with those that dont want to tailgate, or plan to join another tailgate. Especially as CyTown grows. But we will see, that is something that wont happen for quite a while.

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
Everyone needs to remember that there are commuters each day that park in the ISC parking lots; I think Jamie said 2000. Some of those folks will utiliz
Especially if there's a coffee shop/cafe. Or, it's been mentioned, but a Kum&Go convenience store like what they have on Lincoln Way near campus.

I would put in something like the Market at Malcolm Yards as the first development.

The Market

For those that have not been to Minneapolis in a while the The Market is a cool concept where you provide your credit card walking into the restaurant, and then are free to roam and get food at a number of stations. The Market is near the University of Minnesota but not near a bunch of other restaurants but is a desination for the area.

I can see students going there all the time and can see visitors to Ames going there even if an event is not happening near Trice, CY, etc.

For football games, the pay as you go for individual meals would work great for people wanting unique food to supplement their tailgate. Walk in - get food - walk back to tailgate and drink your neighbors Busch Light.

Depending how you structure rent for the food places, you could even see some aspiring college students start their culinary career by starting a concept in the space.

Reactions: Remo Gaggi