CyTown Announcement - Monday 9/19 (Links in OP)

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Everyone needs to remember that there are commuters each day that park in the ISC parking lots; I think Jamie said 2000. Some of those folks will utilize CyTown.
So what are you saying.

Tough day at work. Stop in for a couple of drinks before hitting the road.;)

Wait that sounds like exactly what I did 3-4 nights a week in my 20's.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Yeah, it's limitless what you can do there over the summer. Farmers market, craft shows, art shows, Odyssey of the Mind, 4-H conference, cheerleader conference, special olympics, 4th of July fireworks, pep rallies. The key is what you do there over the winter and spring, when weather doesn't let you plan events outside. That's where you need concerts and conferences.
Youth basketball/soccer/etc tournaments will be big in winter and spring. They already happen a lot and I know soccer uses the intramural fields already. It’s usually a pain in the ass to find something to do/eat in between games.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
Everyone needs to remember that there are commuters each day that park in the ISC parking lots; I think Jamie said 2000. Some of those folks will utilize CyTown.
Thanks for that stat about commuters. Randy Peterson's column today didn't recognize that.

Lewey24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2020
Dubuque, IA
I was there last year in the summer... it's awesome! it's a great concept. I think it really has a chance in Iowa. Build a place that brings in people year round, pretty soon you will have people all over central iowa coming to Ames.

Shopping / Malls have been a major weakness in Ames... I wonder if between Cy-Town and Main St renovations they can finally build a new shopping presence in ames. That would be another opportunity....
I don’t like the comparison to malls. Malls are dying because of online shopping and the like, they don’t offer anything you can’t do from home. A place like CyTown (and other comparable things), isn’t selling itself on its shopping. It’s selling itself on being a place to gather. The shopping and spending money is just a byproduct of that.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
Curious how many days of the year there are events happening in the iowa state center and jack trice? When you factor in all of the sporting events alone that should be a decent chunk of the year.

With this development I don't see them building a wrestling or volleyball specific venue ever, especially away from this area, since that would be fewer visitors. Don't think that was ever really a consideration though.
Pres. W. hyperbolized that students walk to the ISC all the time. Unless i'm unaware of things changing since I was a student, there aren't a stream of students walking there. Seems like having some student facilities, a CyRide hub and some sort of bike hub would connect the area more to central campus and make it more profitable.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Pres. W. hyperbolized that students walk to the ISC all the time. Unless i'm unaware of things changing since I was a student, there aren't a stream of students walking there. Seems like having some student facilities, a CyRide hub and some sort of bike hub would connect the area more to central campus and make it more profitable.
I would imagine students in RCA, MWL, Buchanan and Geoffrey and the Greek houses east of Ash generally walk rather than take transportation to the ISC.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I don’t like the comparison to malls. Malls are dying because of online shopping and the like, they don’t offer anything you can’t do from home. A place like CyTown (and other comparable things), isn’t selling itself on its shopping. It’s selling itself on being a place to gather. The shopping and spending money is just a byproduct of that.
True but some of the newer malls are just like the CyTown project in that they offer those things. The Mall of America being a trailblazer in that area. It was built with the usual mall entertainment of restaurants and movie theaters but in addition boasts an amusement park and aquarium. They also bring in temporary traveling attractions from time to time.

That being said, despite (or maybe because of) living up here, I avoid the MOA like the plague.

Maybe what Cytown needs is a ferris wheel and a rollercoaster. Unfortunately the roller coaster names of Tornado and Cyclone are both taken.

Reactions: HawaiiClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You can eat at home. Do you not go to restaurants? You can drink a beer at home, do you not ever have drinks away from home? They aren't making this into a large shopping mall. A few stores in there, like the cy place, a convenience type store, and maybe one or two specialty shops isn't going to make it a huge shopping center.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
True but some of the newer malls are just like the CyTown project in that they offer those things. The Mall of America being a trailblazer in that area. It was built with the usual mall entertainment of restaurants and movie theaters but in addition boasts an amusement park and aquarium. They also bring in temporary traveling attractions from time to time.

That being said, despite (or maybe because of) living up here, I avoid the MOA like the plague.

Maybe what Cytown needs is a ferris wheel and a rollercoaster. Unfortunately the roller coaster names of Tornado and Cyclone are both taken.
The swirly bird, a silly silo

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The swirly bird, a silly silo
I remember as a kid hitting the silly silo at Adventureland when there was no line. We went on it, ran out around and back on because there was no line. We must have gone on it a dozen times in a row. Adult Velo would have his stomach in his chest after the first ride and likely hurl during the second ride.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
You can eat at home. Do you not go to restaurants? You can drink a beer at home, do you not ever have drinks away from home? They aren't making this into a large shopping mall. A few stores in there, like the cy place, a convenience type store, and maybe one or two specialty shops isn't going to make it a huge shopping center.
Moving the Cys Locker Room from the Duff location to CyTown almost sounds like a no brainier, right? No worries about having to set things up under the tent for every game, plus surely they'd get far better traffic there than in a spot where people can't turn left out of onto Duff.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
You joke but would it be that crazy to have a Bus rapid transit route down Lincoln Way? Stop at west Ames Hy-Vee (or whatever), campustown, in front of Hilton for CyTown, and next to the new downtown Ames development on Lincoln Way?
You would just need to build some elevated stations and it'd feel big time.

First was Bridge, next is elevated BRT station, then finally.... a space elevator
Flying cars!:rolleyes: Or like the Japanese plan for air pressure tubes to shoot you through to the next station. Think big.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
I would imagine students in RCA, MWL, Buchanan and Geoffrey and the Greek houses east of Ash generally walk rather than take transportation to the ISC.
Yeah, I totally agree. I lived in Buchanan and it was a minor walk. I was just saying that when I walked there on the odd occasion during the day (to go to the Scheman Bldg for example) I didn't see many other people walking there. Large crowds only went there for special events. So Wintersteen saying that students walked there all the time doesn't reflect the reality of foot traffic there. A more accurate description would be that lots of students are in easy walking distance of ISC.

When CyTown is built there will be more reason for students to go to ISC on a regular basis, but it seems like it would help to have a few student-centered things (outside of the building process and running the businesses) to give even more reason for students to go there.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Yeah, I totally agree. I lived in Buchanan and it was a minor walk. I was just saying that when I walked there on the odd occasion during the day (to go to the Scheman Bldg for example) I didn't see many other people walking there. Large crowds only went there for special events. So Wintersteen saying that students walked there all the time doesn't reflect the reality of foot traffic there. A more accurate description would be that lots of students are in easy walking distance of ISC.

When CyTown is built there will be more reason for students to go to ISC on a regular basis, but it seems like it would help to have a few student-centered things (outside of the building process and running the businesses) to give even more reason for students to go there.
This might be an example of deciding to go off-script because at the moment you think you can say something better.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
This might be an example of deciding to go off-script because at the moment you think you can say something better.
Yeah, kind of like filler that doesn't add up. Yeah, I hope they realize that students don't currently make visits to the ISC day in and day out as part of their calculations.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Moving the Cys Locker Room from the Duff location to CyTown almost sounds like a no brainier, right? No worries about having to set things up under the tent for every game, plus surely they'd get far better traffic there than in a spot where people can't turn left out of onto Duff.
This just needs to happen.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Yeah, kind of like filler that doesn't add up. Yeah, I hope they realize that students don't currently make visits to the ISC day in and day out as part of their calculations.
This just seems really nitpicking. No one goes there because there is no reason to. This is the same distance as the MU from MWL.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron