CyTown Announcement - Monday 9/19 (Links in OP)

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Now all we need is that monorail! Lol
You joke but would it be that crazy to have a Bus rapid transit route down Lincoln Way? Stop at west Ames Hy-Vee (or whatever), campustown, in front of Hilton for CyTown, and next to the new downtown Ames development on Lincoln Way?
You would just need to build some elevated stations and it'd feel big time.

First was Bridge, next is elevated BRT station, then finally.... a space elevator

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
You joke but would it be that crazy to have a Bus rapid transit route down Lincoln Way? Stop at west Ames Hy-Vee (or whatever), campustown, in front of Hilton for CyTown, and next to the new downtown Ames development on Lincoln Way?

First was Bridge, next is elevated BRT station, then finally.... a space elevator
The new Dinkey!

Reactions: CYTUTT

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016

I think the red line already fills this function but adding bigger enclosed bus stops would be neat, especially on cold winter days.

Reactions: HawaiiClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think the red line already fills this function but adding bigger enclosed bus stops would be neat, especially on cold winter days.
Those packed bus stops and busses were a good way to meet the ladies. At least for the first two weeks of classes, then they weren't packed anymore for some reason.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Dude, no means no.
I told my two kids who went/going to ISU that after two weeks, the classes will start getting thinner and by the mid-term area, they will be ghost towns. My oldest said it held to about the first test so about 3-4 weeks before everyone stopped going to class.

Only took me 3 years to realize that if you just go everyday, the teachers will make sure you get a C or better grade.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA

Morgantown, WV has an elevated people mover. It's odd, but effective since the campus is broken up into different locations around town.

Reactions: HawaiiClone

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Morgantown, WV has an elevated people mover. It's odd, but effective since the campus is broken up into different locations around town.
In order to ride, do you have to prove that you're a local by showing that you're missing 3 or more teeth?

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Curious how many days of the year there are events happening in the iowa state center and jack trice? When you factor in all of the sporting events alone that should be a decent chunk of the year.

With this development I don't see them building a wrestling or volleyball specific venue ever, especially away from this area, since that would be fewer visitors. Don't think that was ever really a consideration though.

danwbarrett

Mar 29, 2006
University City, MO
Curious how many days of the year there are events happening in the iowa state center and jack trice? When you factor in all of the sporting events alone that should be a decent chunk of the year.

With this development I don't see them building a wrestling or volleyball specific venue ever, especially away from this area, since that would be fewer visitors. Don't think that was ever really a consideration though.
Everyone needs to remember that there are commuters each day that park in the ISC parking lots; I think Jamie said 2000. Some of those folks will utilize CyTown.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Everyone needs to remember that there are commuters each day that park in the ISC parking lots; I think Jamie said 2000. Some of those folks will utilize CyTown.
Especially if there's a coffee shop/cafe. Or, it's been mentioned, but a Kum&Go convenience store like what they have on Lincoln Way near campus.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
I imagine Starbucks or some local coffee shop variant would do quite well there with the daily commuter.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA

We need to go nuts and copy the Wuppertal Schwebebahn.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA

In the youtube video, Jamie said the area sees over 1 million visitors per year between athletics, Iowa Games, Special Olympics, commuter lot/CyRide Hub, etc. Obviously many of those are "repeat customers" but there's plenty of opportunity for people to move through the area and spend money.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I dont know if this has already been brought up, but with the large screen at one end of CyTown, it sets up for some great watch parties for away football and basketball games. Its always cool when broadcasts show large crowds watching games at like Power and Light for example.
This. I wish this thing was around when I was in school. Some of those retail spots being bars, and you have yourself an awesome time for those away games when the weather is nice.