Cytown Update

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Make CyRide free?

I don't even know if current ridership would make that feasible, or if the city would have an interest in spending money toward getting more students to access things downtown, they may not.
Current students ride Cy ride for free.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yeah, but if you build where water and sewer already exist, you get more tax revenue without having to expand the system.
True. I guess I was thinking new areas. Most cities don’t budget long term for water sewer so they end up subsidizing the updates.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ames residents voted down the convention center expansion on the Scheman Building.

Also, cities like Lincoln partnered with their universities to get new amenities built, like Pinnacle Bank Arena. No such collaboration can be remotely considered in Ames for whatever reason, whether it be political will or just overall stubbornness of residents.

Everything here just seems to be a huge culture of "no."
Like we were discussing in the other thread. This town has no ambition to improve itself. No ability to think big.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Like we were discussing in the other thread. This town has no ambition to improve itself. No ability to think big.
I don't want to bag on Ames residents too much. They have their say in how this stuff goes. I just think it's short sighted to play off the giant employer in your city as an antagonist when Ames would most likely be State Center without them there. "Don't ask us for help fixing your property, you don't pay public taxes on it" quickly becomes "How can you build that property without following the tax rules the rest of us follow" when circumstances change.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
It has nothing to do with the recent Ames nimby thing but the fact that Campus town and downtown Ames are in two separate areas of the city is unfortunate. Probably because of the history of the city the campus and the actual city of Ames were much more distinct and separate but it's led to two fine central business districts but if it were one area it'd be much healthier, most other college towns have two Downton areas. And I feel like the relationship with the city would be better if all our eggs were in one basket.

I don't know where I'm going with this besides BRING BACK THE DINKEY NOW. You could put a stop by CyTown. Connect em all.
Ames Light Rail here we come!!

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Reactions: CascadeClone

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
I don't want to bag on Ames residents too much. They have their say in how this stuff goes. I just think it's short sighted to play off the giant employer in your city as an antagonist when Ames would most likely be State Center without them there. "Don't ask us for help fixing your property, you don't pay public taxes on it" quickly becomes "How can you build that property without following the tax rules the rest of us follow" when circumstances change.
Hey...Nothing wrong with being the Rose Capital of Iowa.

Reactions: Sevey

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I get what you're saying, but what Ames would or wouldn't be without the university is pretty immaterial. It's not like ISU is suddenly going to relocate to Boone.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneG

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
Bingo. Early in my career, I interviewed for a position with the City of Ames. Part of that half-day process included a van tour of the city with some current staff. I was shocked and honestly appalled by how much of that tour included bad-mouthing two of the city's largest employers (ISU and DOT) as we drove by any properties that weren't contributing to the tax base. It put a really bad taste in my mouth.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The fact that the block right across from Friley still has vacant lots next to mayhem is kind of appalling. The place looks like a crumbling downtown in southern Iowa. They’ve had all kinds of opportunities to revamp that area and it’s been a craphole for decades.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron