Cytown Update

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
I’ve never owned/operated a small business but those are at the top of the list for getting run over for “growth & development”. It’s pretty hard to swallow when you operate on a small margin & contend with regulations and taxes meanwhile The City gives tax abatements along with grants to the well heeled to allow them to get attractive financing. The current trendy thing is allowing food trucks to operate that don’t have the expenses borne by brick and mortar restaurants. City father’s are in a tough spot because they know the long term benefits of creating tax base but they have to have their groceries delivered.

Reactions: Freebird

cedarstrip

Aug 26, 2013
The problem is that the city (wisely) won’t let anyone put a driveway on that stretch of Lincoln Way because of the pedestrian traffic. I got bored and started digging - Randall gave up and sold to another developer in February, 2020. Guessing the, uh, unexpected economic changes slowed things down. The new owner submitted a development plan to the city, and the council unanimously approved the easement portion, in June 2022. They also amended zoning facade requirements.

There doesn’t appear to be further action. In 2022 it was going to be a Brothers Bar & Grill, and the Facebook page still exists, so I guess it’s a possibility still.
It doesn't help that college creek runs under that property.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

“As the Journal-World reported in March, KU leaders now believe retailers, restaurants and other amenities envisioned for the eastern edge of the football stadium site are likely to develop more slowly than once expected. Higher interest rates, the type charged by lenders, has caused the handful of private developers considering the project to become less aggressive, Chancellor Douglas Girod told the Journal-World last month”

bolded has me a bit concerned about our own project

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I don’t think the Battery sucks really, it’s just doesn’t have any “soul”
I've never been there. Just quoting the guy who said, "That place sucks." I'm not sure what his point was, but if it was to mock entertainment districts near stadiums, he did a bad job. Basically, build something semi-OK and you will make money is what I took from his post.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I'm surprised to hear that the chosen developer wants to do most of the project all at once versus in phases... Must have some good leasing movement/interest and have a hotel partner lined up
Link to this info? Or where was this talked about?

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Link to this info? Or where was this talked about?
Jamie's interview with Fales on KXNO. He sounded really excited about the progress.

For those that track tail numbers, the ISU jet was in Nebraska a week or two again. I assume that was talking things over with the developers. Probably an important deal if they fly versus drive a couple hours.

Reactions: 2speedy1