Cytown Update

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Bingo. Early in my career, I interviewed for a position with the City of Ames. Part of that half-day process included a van tour of the city with some current staff. I was shocked and honestly appalled by how much of that tour included bad-mouthing two of the city's largest employers (ISU and DOT) as we drove by any properties that weren't contributing to the tax base. It put a really bad taste in my mouth.
I don’t see Ames giving back tax revenue from people retiring in Ames to be close to the university, Professors making six figures building a home in Ames, Hickory Park, sales tax, hotel motel tax,….. Ames profits nicely.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
No reason for athletics or the school to continue any more to the city than legally required. I’m always amazed at how dysfunctional the Ames city government is. If the city doesn’t want to help the university out then they shouldn’t reap the rewards of what the university does.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
The point of the project is to invest in the Iowa State Center, which I think most people would agree is needed. The revenue from the leases would go into a capital improvement fund for the center if I’m understanding it right. Bringing more shows and conventions back is a boon for the entire area and why the city is partnering here. Obviously being exempt from property tax will help to raise those revenues faster.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

City of Ames staff and Iowa State administrative staff are nearing a compromise that could help fuel the Iowa State Center for the next 35 years.

"Over the years, the relationship between the city of Ames and Iowa State University has served as a role model for other communities," Schainker said. "A protracted dispute with respect to the issues of taxability and competition would be detrimental to the parties’ relationship and could delay or altogether thwart the renovation and improvement of the Iowa State Center facilities."

City and university staff designed a creative agreement that calls for a Payment In Lieu Of Taxes (PILOT), which would avoid friction over taxes and business competition.

The agreement will generate revenue to finance the needed capital improvements for the four original buildings. CYTown’s generated revenue will be directed to a Capital Improvements Fund dedicated to enhancing the Iowa State Center over 35 years.

The council agreed to ensure a renegotiation or review of the PILOT funds in the event that one of the original four buildings is removed.

A separate agreement addresses the development's infrastructure and services. It outlines the city’s responsibilities in supplying utilities, managing traffic, and providing related services.

Both agreements will be presented to the next Ames City Council meeting on April 9.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton

City of Ames staff and Iowa State administrative staff are nearing a compromise that could help fuel the Iowa State Center for the next 35 years.

"Over the years, the relationship between the city of Ames and Iowa State University has served as a role model for other communities," Schainker said. "A protracted dispute with respect to the issues of taxability and competition would be detrimental to the parties’ relationship and could delay or altogether thwart the renovation and improvement of the Iowa State Center facilities."

City and university staff designed a creative agreement that calls for a Payment In Lieu Of Taxes (PILOT), which would avoid friction over taxes and business competition.

The agreement will generate revenue to finance the needed capital improvements for the four original buildings. CYTown’s generated revenue will be directed to a Capital Improvements Fund dedicated to enhancing the Iowa State Center over 35 years.

The council agreed to ensure a renegotiation or review of the PILOT funds in the event that one of the original four buildings is removed.

A separate agreement addresses the development's infrastructure and services. It outlines the city’s responsibilities in supplying utilities, managing traffic, and providing related services.

Both agreements will be presented to the next Ames City Council meeting on April 9.
No

• Haha
Reactions: Gorm

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA

Ames will find a way to Robin Hood that $.

Reactions: aauummm

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
The fact that the block right across from Friley still has vacant lots next to mayhem is kind of appalling. The place looks like a crumbling downtown in southern Iowa. They’ve had all kinds of opportunities to revamp that area and it’s been a craphole for decades.
Had offers to build, but parking is the problem. Ames wants a solution, and no one wants to build a parking ramp.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Do what every small town does with a lot like that, build a car wash.

The problem is that the city (wisely) won’t let anyone put a driveway on that stretch of Lincoln Way because of the pedestrian traffic. I got bored and started digging - Randall gave up and sold to another developer in February, 2020. Guessing the, uh, unexpected economic changes slowed things down. The new owner submitted a development plan to the city, and the council unanimously approved the easement portion, in June 2022. They also amended zoning facade requirements.

There doesn’t appear to be further action. In 2022 it was going to be a Brothers Bar & Grill, and the Facebook page still exists, so I guess it’s a possibility still.

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
Had offers to build, but parking is the problem. Ames wants a solution, and no one wants to build a parking ramp.
Going to any place on Welch or Campustown is a crapshoot for parking which I would assume hurts the existing and future businesses. Has anyone ever proposed converting the existing parking lot that is surrounded by all those businesses into an actual parking garage?

Fully admitting I know nothing about the feasibility or cost to do this work...

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
The problem is that the city (wisely) won’t let anyone put a driveway on that stretch of Lincoln Way because of the pedestrian traffic. I got bored and started digging - Randall gave up and sold to another developer in February, 2020. Guessing the, uh, unexpected economic changes slowed things down. The new owner submitted a development plan to the city, and the council unanimously approved the easement portion, in June 2022. They also amended zoning facade requirements.

There doesn’t appear to be further action. In 2022 it was going to be a Brothers Bar & Grill, and the Facebook page still exists, so I guess it’s a possibility still.
Yeah. Randall Jr had a tantrum when the city denied his request to have an ally entrance onto lincolnway at one of its most congested spots. Put up a “poor pitiful me look at the mean city” sign on the property. No one gave a ****. He sold. Nothing else has happened except they put up a temporary fence. Eyesore.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Going to any place on Welch or Campustown is a crapshoot for parking which I would assume hurts the existing and future businesses. Has anyone ever proposed converting the existing parking lot that is surrounded by all those businesses into an actual parking garage?
Literally a parking garage on Hayward. People here don’t understand sometimes you can’t park right in front of whatever ******* business you are going to and might sometimes have to walk a block or two like people do in literally every ******* downtown city in America

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Literally a parking garage on Hayward. People here don’t understand sometimes you can’t park right in front of whatever ******* business you are going to and might sometimes have to walk a block or two like people do in literally every ******* downtown city in America

That would mean walking. And no one can ***** about downtown Ames parking, their is literally hundreds of spots just south of main street.

• Agree
Reactions: Erik4Cy

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011

Fully admitting I know nothing about the feasibility or cost to do this work...
There isn't enough room to put any kind of multi-level garage there

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
That would mean walking. And no one can ***** about downtown Ames parking, their is literally hundreds of spots just south of main street.
Three decades I’ve lived here I’ve never had a problem finding parking in either downtown or campustown. Campustown has two parking lots. A parking ramp and a university parking ramp across the street. Parking problems in campustown is a fallacy. Fat lazy people is the reality.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron