Brett McIntyre
Chris Gloninger
Taj Simmons
James Stratton

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Listening to 2GNC pod, sounds like Amber will be doing weather for IA Everywhere. Sounds like forecasts for games and special events.

CW continues his destruction of the traditional media in Iowa

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
Dan Winters
Andy Garman
Brooke Bouma
Metinka Slater
Cynthia Foder
Amber Alexander
Jodi Long
Dave Price
Brett McIntyre
Chris Gloninger
Taj Simmons
James Stratton

Just a general query here, why are we keeping this list of people who have left the local news stations? People change jobs all the time. Taj is going back to Indiana to be on the news.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Dan Winters
Andy Garman
Brooke Bouma
Metinka Slater
Cynthia Foder
Amber Alexander
Jodi Long
Dave Price
Brett McIntyre
Chris Gloninger
Taj Simmons
James Stratton

Cynthia Fodor retired, she didn't leave to go work somewhere else.

James Stratton went to Milwaukee which is a bigger TV market than DSM, so I would call that promotion.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Just a general query here, why are we keeping this list of people who have left the local news stations? People change jobs all the time. Taj is going back to Indiana to be on the news.

I don't know if you're from the Des Moines area but 12 people leaving 3 news channels in 12 months is far from normal.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I don't know if you're from the Des Moines area but 12 people leaving 3 news channels in 12 months is far from normal.
Brooke Bouma left WHO in 2019. Andy Garman left KCCI in 2018. Simmons and Stratton both went to larger markets, so those are promotions in the TV world. Throw in Fodor's retirement (40 years in the business), and you are down to eight people who left in a little over 12 months.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CYdTracked

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I’m not sure Iowa was ever nice. Just look at Siepker himself. But it certainly is not nice at the moment. The fact that someone feels compelled to send death threats to the weather guy and then only gets fined $105 doesn’t seem particularly nice. Crazy, sure. I am sure that minimal fine is not reassuring to other media members, who may want to work somewhere that takes their safety seriously.

Reactions: Turn2

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Brooke Bouma left WHO in 2019. Andy Garman left KCCI in 2018. Simmons and Stratton both went to larger markets, so those are promotions in the TV world. Throw in Fodor's retirement (40 years in the business), and you are down to eight people who left in a little over 12 months.
So Fodor doesn't count because she's been at the station for a long time? Those that went to a larger market don't count? I was just pointing out how many left in such a short time. I wasn't saying that there was a bad reason just that the turnover recently has seemed really high.

I'm going to guess that Des Moines has about 60 people combined on the news team. In my mind, 8-12 turnover in a short time frame is rather high.
Also adding another one

Dan Winters
Andy Garman
Brooke Bouma
Metinka Slater
Cynthia Foder
Amber Alexander
Jodi Long
Dave Price
Brett McIntyre
Chris Gloninger
Taj Simmons
James Stratton
Steve Karlin

Last edited:

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Is channel 13 still on? We haven't seen it in like 3 or 4 weeks since them and Direct TV are in dispute

Reactions: 4cy16

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Isn't the TV news a very turnover prone industry? I mean, the only way to get a promotion is to leave, or hope someone ahead of you does?

MTEORisu

Jan 15, 2023
Yeah, people leaving Des Moines TV in recently isn't surprising. Turnover in TV news across the country has been increasing for several years, especially since the pandemic.

The schedules are already tough, and the increasing demands of digital, social media, additional newscasts, etc. make it harder.

Recent ownership changes & corporate mergers exacerbate this. For example, Nexstar Media Group, the largest owner of TV stations in the US, is well known for being cheap. They've owned WHO since 2019, and owned WOI for several years before that.

• Informative
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron