DeMarcus Phillips is going to be special

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
You know what has me excited? That the kid is so pumped about playing here. Seriously.....I've very rarely read about a kid gushing about Iowa State as much as Phillips has in both Chris's interview and the Marshalltown article.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Being excited is fine. Calling him special based on a 9 second video is kind of weird. I love D's attitude as well.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Being excited is fine. Calling him special based on a 9 second video is kind of weird. I love D's attitude as well.
I agree with this. It's kind of a fine line between being excited and building someone up to be something they're not. Not saying we've done that with this kid, but it's obviously been done in the past.

CYKXBUT

Jul 21, 2006
Wonderful.

The build-up of unrealistic expectations begins again! Dykstra was going to be the next Larry Bird, Eikmeier was a better version of Steve Kerr, Lucca was a better long range shooter than Peja Stojakovic, and on and on and on...

Thank you for your attention. You can now go back to building this kid up to epic proportions that will likely never be attainable.

OK, how does this sound? This guy is going to be a much improved version of Carlo Walton!!!!!

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
A little weird to make a proclomation like that, yes. Special means...special.

Maybe "special" means DP should wear one of those helmets the "special" kids wear before he dunks like that again. He could hit his head on the rim being all high up in the air and stuff.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I don't know anything about the kid one way or the other, but that wasn't that spectacular.

Come on, 3TrueFans. After all your support for HB, I'm surprised that you can't admit that the guy deserves some credit. That was a spectacular dunk. Not only is it a windmill, but he hangs in the air to do it. I've seen lots of HB dunks, but I'm still waiting for one that makes me respond like this windmill. The ones HB does best are the rebound put-backs. Those are spectactular.