Don't Sleep on Solomon Young in 2017/18

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I always worried a little those two might overlap on the court or in personality.

Seems not the case. They are finding a way to play with each other, rough people up on the boards, and they are both getting better at low-low passing.

Lard scores a lot, rebounds, and blocks, but Solomon does so many little things on offense to create space, is an excellent positional defender, and boxes out so well.

At times, depending on match ups, the presence of two interior guys make us easy to defend. I think that is primarily when the other team has guards that can hold ours in check.

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

jaj040

Nut Cup Wearer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 21, 2015
I always worried a little those two might overlap on the court or in personality.

Seems not the case. They are finding a way to play with each other, rough people up on the boards, and they are both getting better at low-low passing.

Lard scores a lot, rebounds, and blocks, but Solomon does so many little things on offense to create space, is an excellent positional defender, and boxes out so well.
Lard does a good job of finding Solo with the two of them down low. If Solo could return the favor, they could be the best front court duo in the Big 12 next year.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Lard does a good job of finding Solo with the two of them down low. If Solo could return the favor, they could be the best front court duo in the Big 12 next year.
Lard has 5 assists on the year, Solo 16.

Big-to-Big passing is critical for both to succeed. They’re both seemingly getting better in that regard.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm hoping that some of Lard's confidence rubs off on Young as he has shown at times both last year and this year he has the talent to be a very good player in the Big 12 once he realizes his potential. I think these past 2-3 weeks he's really come into his own defensively and is even showing some more confident in his low post offense. He still isn't quite finishing plays but he is showing improvement in that area. It's great to have a guy like Lard playing next to him who has all the confidence in the world right now as that hopefully will rub off a little and push him to not shy away from a little contact and use his size to his advantage. Coach Prohm even mentioned in the post game today with John and Eric how Solomon has really played tough physically on defense lately and he has embraced the challenge to be the physical post presence we need him to be.

This team has so much potential they have not even scratched the surface with yet which is great news leading into next season where we may finally have some depth on the bench. It has been really fun to watch Lard transform into one of the best post players in the conference right now, Wiggy showed today he can be right there on the same level as Trae Young when he is on, and Solomon has been a steady and consistent physical presence in the post lately. You can see the game starting to slow down for those 3 guys lately where early in the season they sometimes had the deer in the headlights look.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Lard has 5 assists on the year, Solo 16.

Big-to-Big passing is critical for both to succeed. They’re both seemingly getting better in that regard.

I think Solomon only had two assists all year last year. A lot of it was his role last year but the increase is a good sign. They were doing a good job passing yesterday.

Solomon’s had one great interior pass that wasn’t an assist because Lard biffed the dunk.

Reactions: isutrevman

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think Solomon only had two assists all year last year. A lot of it was his role last year but the increase is a good sign. They were doing a good job passing yesterday.

Solomon’s had one great interior pass that wasn’t an assist because Lard biffed the dunk.

They need to do a better job looking for it, too.

They butter-fingered a few passes out of bounds.

Neither is exactly senior Ejim in always being ready.

They could both do better in looking to kick out, too.

They do have two elite shooters lurking for them.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Solo and Lard are completely different type of players. Lard is an elite athlete w/ 20/10 potential. Solo is a choose your cliché glue guy, lunch pale guy, willing to do the heavy lifting. Love them both, casual fans rarely notice what Solo brings to the party. Add Jacobson and Tally to these two in the front court next year and we are going to cause a lot of headaches for opposing coaches.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

I’m showing 1 assist last year, very much a reflection of his low usage.

Just wait until they start to consistently draw double teams. They’re not Georges, but with some good footwork prior to the pass (more ball reversals, please) they’re good enough that most forwards won’t be able to handle them.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Solo has been much more aggressive on offense lately. He appears to be turning it up a notch. Lard and Solo playing together is going to create some real issues for teams the next two years. Add Jacobson and now they can be rested and foul trouble wont be such a concern

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Solo seems to have really fallen into his role on the team. Play tough D, move the ball better on O, and quit wasting possessions with shooting threes (3-19 was probably time to give it up).

He has been an animal lately.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Count me in on being really impressed with Solo lately. Scrappy, tough defensively. I also like the way his 10-15 jumpshot has developed.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
The Solo that played against OU is the best version of Solo. Think that was his best most complete game from start to finish.

Take some time and just watch what Solo does down low. Lard gets the sexy stats but Young does all the dirty work, like blocking out that enables others to do their thing.

If he continues to develop his offense the Lard/Solo duo will be a force to reckon with.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
The Solo that played against OU is the best version of Solo. Think that was his best most complete game from start to finish.

Take some time and just watch what Solo does down low. Lard gets the sexy stats but Young does all the dirty work, like blocking out that enables others to do their thing.

If he continues to develop his offense the Lard/Solo duo will be a force to reckon with.
The WVU and Baylor games were just as good, and his game at KSU last year was statistically better.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I would love to see some High low action between Young and Lard much like Niang and Ejim did or Niang and McKay did. Obviously Niang is a better passer than both of them but if they were good at pass backs and too each other, it would take a lot of the pressure off our guards.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron