Downtown Royals Stadium

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
It is a great place to WATCH a game! But stadiums today have to be more than that (sadly in my opinion). Took in a Royals/Angels game last July and had a blast. But the stadium feels very dated.
This is exactly right. The way the Twins have reconfigured Target Field since it opened is a great example. They've traded seating for bar/lounge areas and it provides a lot to do besides watching the game. Now when we go up there we'll buy the cheapest tickets available and just bar hop inside the stadium. If we have seats, we may not even visit them once. It provides a fun bit of variety.

That said, these shorter games will make it tougher to get your money's worth out of that. Feels like some of the value of attending a game was stripped away.

Reactions: cyfanatic

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
It is a great place to WATCH a game! But stadiums today have to be more than that (sadly in my opinion). Took in a Royals/Angels game last July and had a blast. But the stadium feels very dated.
Love how you can walk all the way around now.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Minneapolis is a ghost town right now for a few reasons. Maybe that will change with time. Target corp was the biggest group down there and just about everyone is remote now.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
That said, these shorter games will make it tougher to get your money's worth out of that. Feels like some of the value of attending a game was stripped away.
I get your point of view - you enjoy the socializing/bar-hopping aspect of going to the stadium - but the new rules make the game so much more fun to watch.

Just get inside when the gates open and start enjoying the bars. You’ll still get your money‘s worth out of a 2 hour & 40 minute game. :D

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I like it. And what a spot.

That spot is a pipe dream and no even remotely viable. There aren't enough arteries/exits getting into DT, especially from the south (where a lot of the fans will be coming from). The only place to put more parking would be to the east, which would likely increase the clusterfuck known as highway 71. And having it next to the arena would be ******* bonkers. DT is slammed in the summer when there are concerts, First Fridays, etc going on.

The best place for it would have been on the north side of the river. They could have done the street car extension w/a pedestrian bridge which would increase parking options and alleviate some of the choke points. It also adds room for development, something the other plan doesn't really have.

• Disagree
Reactions: drmwevr08

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Might want to check this out

You might want to check this out:

The last 3 years the Royals are pretty far below the average payroll/revenue in MLB.

They'll get a bump in revenue when they move downtown, because that always happens when new stadiums are built. However, there is zero evidence in most cases that those additional revenues are put into player salaries.

JohnPrineforCy

Feb 1, 2019
That spot is a pipe dream and no even remotely viable. There aren't enough arteries/exits getting into DT, especially from the south (where a lot of the fans will be coming from). The only place to put more parking would be to the east, which would likely increase the clusterfuck known as highway 71. And having it next to the arena would be ******* bonkers. DT is slammed in the summer when there are concerts, First Fridays, etc going on.

The best place for it would have been on the north side of the river. They could have done the street car extension w/a pedestrian bridge which would increase parking options and alleviate some of the choke points. It also adds room for development, something the other plan doesn't really have.
The north side is still an option. I don't think they have a set place for it.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Early concepts to be sure, but I can't believe they won't have some of that in the final design.

Yeah right now it looks like a generic stadium generated when you start a new one in franchise mode on MLB the Show.

• Haha
Reactions: deadeyededric

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
The north side is still an option. I don't think they have a set place for it.
The worst kept secret is that it will go where JE Dunn owns land. The other sites are mostly smokescreen to make it look like they are exploring options, but with the Dunn family involved in the ownership group, you can bet the scale is getting heavily tilted in that direction.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
The worst kept secret is that it will go where JE Dunn owns land. The other sites are mostly smokescreen to make it look like they are exploring options, but with the Dunn family involved in the ownership group, you can bet the scale is getting heavily tilted in that direction.

What land does the Dunn family own downtown?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Pretty sure their main facility is in the east village, and that has been the area most talked about getting the new stadium

I'm assuming the area to the east of their office building, that looks to be parking lots?