Dual this week (WVU Friday 2/2)

NEIACyclone

Oct 25, 2012
someone more astute on moving weights, lineup changes enlighten me to options at 197…

Nando/Helgeson/Hagerty don’t produce more than what JB has shown of late?

Anyone at HWT cut to 197 or an 184 go up? I mean JB hasn’t been “right” for a long time and it’s overstating the massive hole we have there…

• Agree
Reactions: HouClone

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
someone more astute on moving weights, lineup changes enlighten me to options at 197…

Anyone at HWT cut to 197 or an 184 go up? I mean JB hasn’t been “right” for a long time and it’s overstating the massive hole we have there…
My take: it’s February. If a better option was there, we would have seen it by now. Injuries could play a role? I don’t know. But it is what it is at this point and at 97 we’re just going to have to wear it.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls

Nando was limping around in a leg immobilizer last night along with using a crutch. Typically one you see used when you’ve had surgery on a torn ligament in the knee.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Someone earlier made a casual reference to making the mat larger. Seriously. Why don't we have another strip on both the north and south sides? There is room on the hardwood floor. Right now, the edge of the mat is too close.

Or, even more immediately, why don't we do a better job of flattening out the edge of the mat near the scorer's table? The entire length was folded up last night. At one point, the WV wrestler couldn't resist the temptation and grabbed it.

Seems like they could have run a piece of tape underneath that edge, tying all the mat pieces together, and kept it down.

NEIACyclone

Oct 25, 2012
My take: it’s February. If a better option was there, we would have seen it by now. Injuries could play a role? I don’t know. But it is what it is at this point and at 97 we’re just going to have to wear it.
Would agree but was hopeful to not have to accept it …

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The WV heavyweight got a takedown on Yonger . . . and then Yonger almost broke his ankle!

By the end of the match, Yonger was just having his way with him.

It has to be a little bit humiliating to go up against Bastida knowing he's just going to practice his takedowns and let you out of them so he can get in another one on you, for an entire match.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
The style of wrestling that Iowa State has is pretty special. I remember us giving up late period takedowns all the time. I remember us gassing late in matches and opponents doing takedown clinics on us. We were always getting stall calls against us.

It is the total opposite now. Fast pace and constant attacking is our strong suit now!!

You could see the West Virginia guys start off strong, then just keep fading and us maintaining our pace or getting stronger as the match went on!

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
The style of wrestling that Iowa State has is pretty special. I remember us giving up late period takedowns all the time. I remember us gassing late in matches and opponents doing takedown clinics on us. We were always getting stall calls against us.

It is the total opposite now. Fast pace and constant attacking is our strong suit now!!

You could see the West Virginia guys start off strong, then just keep fading and us maintaining our pace or getting stronger as the match went on!
149 wanted no part of Casey late in the match. Our pace is relentless.

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
Congratz on the win and the good crowd!

ISU has a very good wrestling program. WVU, when it entered the Big 12, had no wrestling facility, just some mats on an old basketball gym. the building leaked and water dripped on the wrestlers and what few fans were in attendance when it rained.

WVU's baseball program was a joke too. High school fields were nicer. there was no visiting locker room, and opposing players couldnt shower and had to change on the bus.

Oliver Luck built a new stadium, one of the nicer ones in the country, and shelled out money for a new coach. WVU won the big 12 baseball title last year regular season and has the best player in all of college baseball on its roster in jj weatherholt.

Back to wrestling. Luck's 1st wrestling hire was a bust. his second was a guy who turned a small school into a national power. 6 years in, wvu is ranked, which is a huge leap. but WVU isnt yet ready to beat ISU, OU. Oklahoma State, or Mizzou. Just dont have the talent.

the 125 kid though just ran out of gas. I'd like him to win if he wasnt coming off injury and in shape. 149 is a freshman. he'll make more noise as he gets another year under his belt.

Hall is a tough kid, but Carr just has his number. Not sure what he has to do to beat Carr. he's had several shots but it just isnt happening.

Titus is a wildcard. he's talented, but i think he's still undisciplined. he's strength and endurance let him turn disaster into points.

cywr89

May 14, 2009

Nano is out until next fall. Helgeson was wearing a leg brace. So next up Hagerty who may be a better option but does he want to lose his RS? May want to given we have a top 197 coming in next year and more than likely a top transfer.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Congratz on the win and the good crowd!

ISU has a very good wrestling program. WVU, when it entered the Big 12, had no wrestling facility, just some mats on an old basketball gym. the building leaked and water dripped on the wrestlers and what few fans were in attendance when it rained.

WVU's baseball program was a joke too. High school fields were nicer. there was no visiting locker room, and opposing players couldnt shower and had to change on the bus.

Oliver Luck built a new stadium, one of the nicer ones in the country, and shelled out money for a new coach. WVU won the big 12 baseball title last year regular season and has the best player in all of college baseball on its roster in jj weatherholt.

Back to wrestling. Luck's 1st wrestling hire was a bust. his second was a guy who turned a small school into a national power. 6 years in, wvu is ranked, which is a huge leap. but WVU isnt yet ready to beat ISU, OU. Oklahoma State, or Mizzou. Just dont have the talent.

the 125 kid though just ran out of gas. I'd like him to win if he wasnt coming off injury and in shape. 149 is a freshman. he'll make more noise as he gets another year under his belt.

Hall is a tough kid, but Carr just has his number. Not sure what he has to do to beat Carr. he's had several shots but it just isnt happening.

Titus is a wildcard. he's talented, but i think he's still undisciplined. he's strength and endurance let him turn disaster into points.
I was impressed by WVU. Wrestlers were classy competitors and there is some good talent on that team.

Also seemed like WVU has some real long and lanky guys, so weight classes moving forward will be interesting.