Dual this week (WVU Friday 2/2)

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Nano is out until next fall. Helgeson was wearing a leg brace. So next up Hagerty who may be a better option but does he want to lose his RS? May want to given we have a top 197 coming in next year and more than likely a top transfer.
Does Hagerty have any events to use yet?

cywr89

May 14, 2009
Hagerty is like Tate. They are still really Green
Yes, Hagerty is green but his path to securing the spot for the next 4 years is totally different than Tate. If he gives ISU a better chance of getting a NCAA qualifier and wants to wrestle there is no reason to not put him out there as the probability of him starting the next 4 season is extremely low.

Please don’t mis-read as I’m not saying Hagerty could be a qualifier this year or score points. I’m just putting a scenario out there for a change at 197.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Grades:

125: B+. I thought Kysen was aggressive most of the match and was in deep a couple of times. The WVU kid is going to be an NCAA qualifier and will get better as he improves his gas tank, but it was good to see Kysen stay after it and get the W. He still struggles finishing on longer kids, and I think he should've hunted the single a bit more, but I am happy with the result.

133: A. The kid Frost wrestled wasn't very good, but man Frost is a hammer. He reminds me of a more athletic/talented Ian Parker. Heavy hands, very technically sound, and a hell of a gas tank. I liked the potential of the Frost boys, but didn't expect either to be AA contenders their 2nd year in the program. Diamonds in the rough of the stellar 2022 class.

141: A for effort. Sam gave Titus his all and battled for just learning he would be going earlier that day. He was in deep a couple of times and showed some slick moves. Next step in development is learning how to finish those, but he battled.

149: A-. Beating a top 10 kid is always A worthy, but I thought Casey gave Watters a bit too much respect in the first period. Once Casey decided the last minute to hunt the low single, he started getting to Watters legs at will. Watters is good, but as Casey continues to work his way back into the lineup, I expect him to keep getting better and better. I am hoping he can separate a bit from Watters in Tulsa.

157: B+. Good first match back from the concussion for Cody. Got off to a slow start in the first (and I think we all held our collective breaths when he got the tooth in the head), but he picked it up the 2nd and 3rd periods. Giving up the takedown was a bit sloppy, but he redeemed himself with getting the escape and takedown for the major in the closing of the 3rd period. I wish he would fire off his high crotch more often as when he does, he generally scores. I will say that Cody continues to be a guy that no top seed will want to face in KC.

165: A-. Dominant win over a top 10 kid. Would've been an A without giving up the takedown in the 3rd, but David was really just trying to score and got a bit sloppy. Really excited for the O'Toole matchup in a couple weeks. Hopefully we have close to a sellout for that, because David deserves it for all that he has given to this program. Can't believe we only have 2 more times to watch him in Hilton, and I have a feeling he will make the most of it.

174: A. His confidence is continuing to increase and he remains one of the most dangerous wrestlers on the team. I am excited to see how MJ continues to develop, and he seems to be peaking at the right time.

184: B-. Good effort out of Tate, just made a couple of freshman mistakes against a 5th year senior. I know he was a bit dinged up earlier this year, so he missed some crucial practice time for development. He will have a tough match against Keck if Will is still out, but he still has all the tools to develop into a really nice 184 for us next year.

197: C. Julien is what he is. He has given a lot to the program over his time here, and I am thankful he was a Cyclone. Life comes at you fast, and sometimes other aspects take priority. With Helgeson and Nando banged up, we just have to see what Broderson can give us these last few weeks.

Hwt: A-. Gave up his first takedown since the 1st period of the very first dual in a very similar sloppy way, but he corrected his mistake on the next takedown. Yonger can't be fun to wrestle with 2 legs, but when you are hobbled and essentially down to 1 leg, it isn't a fair fight. Props to the WVU hwt for gutting it out.

Hopefully we get Ech back for UNI and Feldkamp for Mizzou. This season has gone by fast and this team seems to be peaking at the right time. Hopefully we can get great crowds for these last 2 duals and get a good contingent of Clones to Tulsa for Big 12s then KC for nationals. This feels like the first team since KD got here that has a real chance at a top 5 finish. Going to be a fun February and March!

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Grades:

125: B+. I thought Kysen was aggressive most of the match and was in deep a couple of times. The WVU kid is going to be an NCAA qualifier and will get better as he improves his gas tank, but it was good to see Kysen stay after it and get the W. He still struggles finishing on longer kids, and I think he should've hunted the single a bit more, but I am happy with the result.

133: A. The kid Frost wrestled wasn't very good, but man Frost is a hammer. He reminds me of a more athletic/talented Ian Parker. Heavy hands, very technically sound, and a hell of a gas tank. I liked the potential of the Frost boys, but didn't expect either to be AA contenders their 2nd year in the program. Diamonds in the rough of the stellar 2022 class.

141: A for effort. Sam gave Titus his all and battled for just learning he would be going earlier that day. He was in deep a couple of times and showed some slick moves. Next step in development is learning how to finish those, but he battled.

149: A-. Beating a top 10 kid is always A worthy, but I thought Casey gave Watters a bit too much respect in the first period. Once Casey decided the last minute to hunt the low single, he started getting to Watters legs at will. Watters is good, but as Casey continues to work his way back into the lineup, I expect him to keep getting better and better. I am hoping he can separate a bit from Watters in Tulsa.

157: B+. Good first match back from the concussion for Cody. Got off to a slow start in the first (and I think we all held our collective breaths when he got the tooth in the head), but he picked it up the 2nd and 3rd periods. Giving up the takedown was a bit sloppy, but he redeemed himself with getting the escape and takedown for the major in the closing of the 3rd period. I wish he would fire off his high crotch more often as when he does, he generally scores. I will say that Cody continues to be a guy that no top seed will want to face in KC.

165: A-. Dominant win over a top 10 kid. Would've been an A without giving up the takedown in the 3rd, but David was really just trying to score and got a bit sloppy. Really excited for the O'Toole matchup in a couple weeks. Hopefully we have close to a sellout for that, because David deserves it for all that he has given to this program. Can't believe we only have 2 more times to watch him in Hilton, and I have a feeling he will make the most of it.

174: A. His confidence is continuing to increase and he remains one of the most dangerous wrestlers on the team. I am excited to see how MJ continues to develop, and he seems to be peaking at the right time.

184: B-. Good effort out of Tate, just made a couple of freshman mistakes against a 5th year senior. I know he was a bit dinged up earlier this year, so he missed some crucial practice time for development. He will have a tough match against Keck if Will is still out, but he still has all the tools to develop into a really nice 184 for us next year.

197: C. Julien is what he is. He has given a lot to the program over his time here, and I am thankful he was a Cyclone. Life comes at you fast, and sometimes other aspects take priority. With Helgeson and Nando banged up, we just have to see what Broderson can give us these last few weeks.

Hwt: A-. Gave up his first takedown since the 1st period of the very first dual in a very similar sloppy way, but he corrected his mistake on the next takedown. Yonger can't be fun to wrestle with 2 legs, but when you are hobbled and essentially down to 1 leg, it isn't a fair fight. Props to the WVU hwt for gutting it out.

Hopefully we get Ech back for UNI and Feldkamp for Mizzou. This season has gone by fast and this team seems to be peaking at the right time. Hopefully we can get great crowds for these last 2 duals and get a good contingent of Clones to Tulsa for Big 12s then KC for nationals. This feels like the first team since KD got here that has a real chance at a top 5 finish. Going to be a fun February and March!
I really appreciate your comments about 197, 165 and final paragraph summary. Well done!

Reactions: stuclone

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Dresser said Broderson is "getting closer" Sorry, but I'm not sure I agree w/ his analysis....
I do think he was mostly talking about him opening up a bit. I did think his effort was better rather than just going for upper body throws. Just let it fly and see where confidence can take him.

I’d love nothing more than for JB to get hot in the next 3-4 weeks.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
For fun as the season winds down, some thoughts on NCAAs:

25 - hopefully makes it to Friday but who knows
33 - BR? He’s young and AA is tough but he certainly is tough enough
41 - AA (somewhere 5th to 7th?)
49 - see above
57 - see above
65 - next question
74 - BR? I like the trajectory here. A single digit seed is going to get a match they do not like
84 - gotta AA but gotta get healthy
97 - maybe he can chase straw his way in or something but this has been discussed enough
Hwt - Saturday night baby!

Others better than me can gauge what this would be team wise but this seems reasonable. A lot of it will come down to match ups between 33-57 and if any hammers get kicked early to the backside. But Hopefully we are the ones doing to the kicking.

Reactions: CyGold

Mead For My Horses

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
Son and I enjoyed this one a lot. Does anyone know if Pollard is always in that line of chairs matside? He seemed engaged which was good. Any of you superfans sit in that row too?
Yes Pollard is always in that seat unless he's out of town and Mrs. Pollard is usually there alongside of him. Love to see his in person support.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
For fun as the season winds down, some thoughts on NCAAs:

25 - hopefully makes it to Friday but who knows
33 - BR? He’s young and AA is tough but he certainly is tough enough
41 - AA (somewhere 5th to 7th?)
49 - see above
57 - see above
65 - next question
74 - BR? I like the trajectory here. A single digit seed is going to get a match they do not like
84 - gotta AA but gotta get healthy
97 - maybe he can chase straw his way in or something but this has been discussed enough
Hwt - Saturday night baby!

Others better than me can gauge what this would be team wise but this seems reasonable. A lot of it will come down to match ups between 33-57 and if any hammers get kicked early to the backside. But Hopefully we are the ones doing to the kicking.
No one at 141-157 would be a big favorite over our guys at these weights. Those weights will come down to who is healthy, peaking and match ups. Should be an exciting March.

Last edited:

jcordova8

Social Media Director, Wrestling Beat Writer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2016
Here’s photos from Friday :)