ESPN, Fox Open Discussions for Next Big 12 Deal

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Of the Saturday games, the Big-12’s was the only one of consequence to the playoff. Obviously nice to see viewership up, but I wouldn’t use this year as a super accurate barometer of fan interest in each conference.
And a stand-alone game with playoff implications and far and away the best draw in the PAC (for now) drew dogcrap.

All the dogging of the Big 12 before was that it didn't matter how good the teams are, or what was at stake. It was all about Texas and OU, and no one else had value. It turns out if other Big 12 teams are good, they draw. A couple years ago Iowa State - Oklahoma State went head to head and outdrew the great White Whale Notre Dame vs. a good Pitt team by a decent margin.

People want to keep moving the goalposts and changing the argument to try to act like the Big 12 success in terms of media value, and that it's like the PAC. It isn't. it's significantly better, and the dollars show it. The only chance the PAC has to match the Big 12 in media value is risk being a loner on a non-linear approach and leave those that still run the narrative - ESPN and Fox - every incentive to ignore them and minimize their exposure.

As far as the ACC goes, people need to realize the Clemson has been a TV underperformer, and always will be. They have had primetime ESPN games when they were at the peak of their run against teams like Miami (when ranked) and they didn't get good numbers. People that think the Big 10, SEC or a network is going to break the GoR bank to get Clemson are dreaming. OU and UT are FAR more valuable, and they couldn't do it. No chance in hell it happens for Clemson. They just don't draw eyeballs like they should given their success.

Reactions: jbhtexas

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Depends how they went about contacting prime and what his contract says.
Not everything is a conspiracy.

So, coaches are not allowed to be contacted by schools interested in their services? If so that's news to me, I suppose it could be in a contract, but I have never heard it enforced. If so that seems hypocritical, if a coach is underperforming are schools prohibited from seeking a replacement.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Not everything is a conspiracy.

So, coaches are not allowed to be contacted by schools interested in their services? If so that's news to me, I suppose it could be in a contract, but I have never heard it enforced. If so that seems hypocritical, if a coach is underperforming are schools prohibited from seeking a replacement.

That's literally what agents are for because yes, you're going to get sued if you're tampering with someone under contract.

Same goes for the players. All of these players have people that can be contacted on their behalf, high school coaches, parents, agents, etc.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
That's literally what agents are for because yes, you're going to get sued if you're tampering with someone under contract.

Same goes for the players. All of these players have people that can be contacted on their behalf, high school coaches, parents, agents, etc.

In this case it doesn't even matter because the meaning of that tweet implies the clown running the Pac12 thinks he can use Deion coaching at CU to extract a much larger amount of money over a longer period of time from the TV networks? That is the story...and it is laughable!

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
So, the CCG viewer numbers are
SEC: 10.89 million (-5 million)
Big Ten: 10.69 million (-1 million)
Big 12: 9.41 million (+1.4 million)
Pac-12: 5.96 million (+4.2 million)
ACC: 3.46 million (+1 million)

I think that is a really good showing for the Big 12. Perhaps competitive football matters...

Those guys on the Baylor show lobbed TCU to the Big 10 out there.

Not sure about that, but

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Of the Saturday games, the Big-12’s was the only one of consequence to the playoff. Obviously nice to see viewership up, but I wouldn’t use this year as a super accurate barometer of fan interest in each conference.
What it shows is that it doesn't matter if it's Texas or OU. What matters is relevant games on relevant networks at convenient times of the day. The brands don't matter as much as the TV slot and how it fits into the national picture. Of course a Red River Rivalry championship game would've had a bigger number, but the other 8 programs in the Big 12 are bigger draws than they are getting credit for from the talking heads.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
under the new playoff format this conference game will get eyeballs as well. All conf. title games will probably see a bump (depending where the pac 12 media deal falls)

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Overrated: getting rawdogged at the end of the year in Fort Worth to let TCU end the regular season undefeated.

Underrated: Letting K-State beat us by one point back in October allowing them to be in the CCG over Texas and avoiding a ton of this good pub for the conference being spun completely differently.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

Depends how they went about contacting prime and what his contract says.

That's what buyouts are for in coaching contracts. "If you break this deal, you pay us $X." It's not tampering because Jackson State will get the $X, whether from Deion or more likely from Colorado directly.

Using an agent is also not a magic wand way to avoid the law, either. Agency under the law is typically imputed to the principal anyway.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah, so we have a conference that is playing a meaningful championship football game, and neither of the teams is OU or Texas. It was the same story last year with OSU and Baylor. And both games were a fun watch. It more than proves that the conference is capable of having great teams that people want to watch even if OU and Texas are not involved.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron