Fall beer

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I bought some Backpocket Clonefest (a Festbier) and it was pretty good. Also got some of the go to Sam Adams Octoberfest. I'm excited to get some more fall beers. I wish I could get some Schlafly Pumpkin Ale but I heard it is no longer sold in Iowa.

Reactions: dmclone

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I had some Backpocket Clonefest the week before last. I like that one a lot.

Hope to find some Confluence Oktoberfest when out in Ames this weekend.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Last year Lion Bridge had the best fall beers in the area. Zombie Awakening was one of my favorite beers of the year and Oktobot 3000 was also really good. Not as big of a fan of the smoked helles.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I was "forced" to drink Hawktoberfest on Monday night. Wasn't too bad but I still feel guilty about it. Can you get Clonefest in the DSM metro?

What is the best Oktoberfest beer in everyone opinion?

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I was "forced" to drink Hawktoberfest on Monday night. Wasn't too bad but I still feel guilty about it. Can you get Clonefest in the DSM metro?

I saw a big display of Clonefest in the Grimes Hy-Vee last week. I'm guessing others in the metro have it too.

Reactions: cyfan92

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny

I got mine at the Prairie Trail Hy-Vee in Ankeny

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013

Hawktoberfest is really really good. Sam Adams Octoberfest is still leader of the pack. There are a lot of good Octoberfest but Sam Adams is great. Also, I found Fenders Brewery in Polk City does a really good Octoberfest.

I've not really tried pumpkin beer though. Does anyone have suggestions? @ChrisMWilliams?

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Hawktoberfest is really really good. Sam Adams Octoberfest is still leader of the pack. There are a lot of good Octoberfest but Sam Adams is great. Also, I found Fenders Brewery in Polk City does a really good Octoberfest.

I've not really tried pumpkin beer though. Does anyone have suggestions? @ChrisMWilliams?
I got into pumpkin beers a couple years ago, and aside from football, it's the one thing I look forward to each fall. I will say, they're all very hit or miss in the sense that either they're really good or just not that great. Not much of an in between. My favorites I've had are from Dogfish Head and O'Fallon.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I find the best way to enjoy pumpkin beers is to buy a single of each of the varieties in the store . . . and throw them in the trash! :jimlad:

interrobang

Oct 9, 2017
Ankeny

Bell's has been my favorite one I have found. Had it on tap from the brewery a few years ago and was definitely worth the drive! Probably between their Oktoberfest or Best Brown Ale as my favorite beer overall.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I got into pumpkin beers a couple years ago, and aside from football, it's the one thing I look forward to each fall. I will say, they're all very hit or miss in the sense that either they're really good or just not that great. Not much of an in between. My favorites I've had are from Dogfish Head and O'Fallon.
Shlafly Pumkin Ale is my favorite but I don't think you can get it in Iowa anymore. I really like the Wastach Black O Lantern pumkin stout.

Reactions: dmclone

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
If it hasn't been mentioned. Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale is a fantastic fall beer.

Big Grove's Festbier is pretty good this year as well, we got a pony keg of that for a neighborhood party and it was a big hit.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Shlafly Pumkin Ale is my favorite but I don't think you can get it in Iowa anymore. I really like the Wastach Black O Lantern pumkin stout.
Forgot about Schafley's. That one was solid! Headed down to KC next month for a wedding and will definitely have to look for some.

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Anyone know why Barntown is not doing the "Big Frootys" this year? Those were a stable in our tailgating routine last season.