Fall beer

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
A little off topic but I'm so shocked how fast growlers died. My wife bought me a real nice stainless steel 64oz one and I had tons of glass jars. Places like Kum and Go and nearly all Hy-Vees in the Des Moines metro had growler fills and then boom they seem to die out. I know that Covid hurt but they were really dying out before Covid hit.I know that crowlers seem to take over for tap rooms/bars.
I'm not sure on the gas station growler fills but it seems like thats been relegated to the fancier bottle shops. Even most breweries have most options in crowlers or cans now. I'm a fan because I can get a few different 16oz cans instead of a growler that I have to drink in a couple days.

From a staffing standpoint the prefilled crowlers make a lot of sense. My biggest gripe was that some breweries would try to force me to use their growler which I had an ethical issue with.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
A little off topic but I'm so shocked how fast growlers died. My wife bought me a real nice stainless steel 64oz one and I had tons of glass jars. Places like Kum and Go and nearly all Hy-Vees in the Des Moines metro had growler fills and then boom they seem to die out. I know that Covid hurt but they were really dying out before Covid hit.I know that crowlers seem to take over for tap rooms/bars.

I always thought gas station/Hy-Vee growler fill stations were cool when we were visiting but always forgot to bring my SS growler.

Growlers are alive and well here in northern CO, but a few won't fill them at all (Weldwerks) so you have to buy their spendy 6ers.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I don't think it's quite at the Urbandale or Waukee level but I'm happy to report that the new Grimes Hy-Vee has a pretty solid craft beer section. I picked up some new recipe Stone Xocoveza, which I've always loved in the past. Urbandale has a beef with Stone so they seem to carry very little.

Urbandale has a much better beer selection currently but I’m hoping Grimes will improve because it’s closer to home. Urbandales pick-6 area is also at least twice the size that Grimes has which is nice when you want to try a new beer before buying a whole 4 or 6 pack. I will say that last time I was there Urbandales pick-6 area hadn’t been restocked and was half empty for some reason. Looks like they’ve been moving things around in there.

Drove by the new stand alone Wall to Wall Wine and Spirits on Jordan Creek and it looks like it’s getting close to being done. I would think that they’ll have a pretty good selection there too.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Urbandale has a much better beer selection currently but I’m hoping Grimes will improve because it’s closer to home. Urbandales pick-6 area is also at least twice the size that Grimes has which is nice when you want to try a new beer before buying a whole 4 or 6 pack. I will say that last time I was there Urbandales pick-6 area hadn’t been restocked and was half empty for some reason. Looks like they’ve been moving things around in there.

Drove by the new stand alone Wall to Wall Wine and Spirits on Jordan Creek and it looks like it’s getting close to being done. I would think that they’ll have a pretty good selection there too.
I stopped at Urbandale tonight and they have reshuffled the beer section. It looks pretty good. One thing I hate is that they never have anything priced. I bought two 4 packs of Blackstack and about fell over when it was $52. When I can get King Sue for $16/4 pack, you better finish me off for $25.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I stopped at Urbandale tonight and they have reshuffled the beer section. It looks pretty good. One thing I hate is that they never have anything priced. I bought two 4 packs of Blackstack and about fell over when it was $52. When I can get King Sue for $16/4 pack, you better finish me off for $25.

Blackstack makes some good stuff but it’s definitely pricey. Wish they would sell the more expensive beers as singles or a mixed 4-pack.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

Love their beer but almost only ever have it in their taproom. They price themselves out when I'm at the liquor store with all the other options.

Blackstack makes some good stuff but it’s definitely pricey. Wish they would sell the more expensive beers as singles or a mixed 4-pack.

There's a liquor store near me that let's you buy singles and it's a great idea.

gbjames5

Oct 4, 2017
Bought a keg of Confluence's Basis Batch Pumpkin Ale. It's excellent if you like pumpkin beer.
New Glarus has a couple great fall beers. The Staghorn Octoberfest is a nice Marzen and Fat Squirrel is a Nut Brown. One of the benefits of living in NE Iowa. I have to drive 2:45 to Trice but 45 minutes to shop for beer you can only buy in Wisconsin

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
toasted-bock-bottle-lg-1.png

Reactions: Entropy

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
FYI the new Wall to Wall Wine and Spirits is open and it has a great selection of beer, wine and liquor. The pick-6 area is decent sized and has some higher end beer. Picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace and some Bourbon County Goose Island this week.

Reactions: NickTheGreat

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Picked up some boulevard stuff of legend, deschutes Jubelale, fair state art & agriculture, weldworks juicy bits and no coast amber.

Reactions: baller21

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
It’s that time of year again and I’m seeing the fall beers coming out. So far I’ve had Big Grove Festbier, SingleSpeed Hold My Pretzel and Lion Bridge Robofest, all pretty good. Confluence Octoberfest will be here Friday. Bring on the cool fall weather and some football.

Reactions: MJ29 and dmclone

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Also seeing a few smoked beers. Confluence released one last week that is good and Lion Bridge has one coming out. Lion Bridge SmokeShow is also a great name.

• Informative
Reactions: MJ29