Favorite Professor

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I think it's back now but they shot themselves in the foot not hiring a replacement for Van Gerpen when he left. I'm not sure if any of the others are back or not though. All the people I was friends with in the department got shuffled around (and I've only been out a couple years).

Jon VanGerpen was my IC engines prof. He did a good job. He was also doing a lot of research in alternative fuels. I think ISU did really screw up if they cut him and that program.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'm an idiot. I'm confusing Apt, my advisor, for Wilt, who is the completely awesome professor.

Dr. Wilt was the bomb. Do you remember how excited he used to get in class???

There is a man who loved his subject. May he rest in peace....

And I'm enough of a dork to think I should correct you.:sad:

"What do I know?!?!?! I'm just some pointy-haired old professor?"
His enthusiasm was just incredible!!!!!

If you were his grad student, it was a little different intensity, because you got called out all the time, even when you were right. At the same time, you become a much better student, because you know that his expectations are very high for you. (But, at 20, I didn't really comprehend that, and pulled a Wesley of my own:no:) Stupid, stupid decision.

linkshero

May 22, 2008
Ames
I see Fred is still being Fred. Back in the Mid90s his favorite daily saying was how great his Boston Chicken stock was doing (is it still Boston market now after the bankruptcy? ) >

I graduated in 94 and had Choobineh around 91-92. I'm happy to hear he is still teaching.

He gave our class $2000 to invest at the beginning of the semester, and then took our profit to Peoples and bought drinks the entire night.

The fist day of class he told us all to take our student loan check and invest $2000 in Dell stock. Any student that listened and then sold it before 98 would have turned that $2000 into a cool $125000. :wink:

I also remember him coming into class all excited because he just bought a 586DX2 ?? (I think). He payed $5600 for it and it was "so fast". That computer was obsolete within 8-9 months.

I wouldn't say he was the best, or my favorite, but I remember his class like it was last summer.

I will never forget WYSIWYG or PCMCIA because of him!

PolkCityClone

Mar 24, 2006
My fav was a lesbian, feminist, women's libber who always sat on her desk with her legs spread. It was a summer class. I didn't learn much, because I was always staring at her panties. I think she knew they showed with the short shorts she wore.

I think the class was some thing like women in modern culture. Oh, and she hated men.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Re: Where are all the AG Profs?

STRITZEL, JOSEPH A., Emeritus Professor of Agronomy. B.S., 1949, M.S., 1953, Ph.D., 1958, Iowa State.

anybody remember J. Stritzel?

I'll never forget when set us farm oppers up the first day.

He'd say, how many of you young men have told a girl you loved her?? Instantly,
every (almost, there were a few gals that took winter quarter even back then)
hand would shoot up and he'd say, all serious like....and, how many of you
said it just to .........

He had a way of making you wish there was a penny close by to crawl under.

m

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He was before my time but I have seen him at the Agronomy banquet before. After they introduced him, he stood up and yell "GO CYCLONES!!!" while waving his cane in the air. I've heard he was an awesome professor but can't say from experience.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Dirk Deam was awesome. He is a political science professor. He is fairly tough but his classes make you think like no other professor did at ISU. Amazingly smart too. I think he was an aerospace engineer before he went to law school.

Dirk Deam is a straight up bad ***. Loved his classes, and he wrote my law school letter of recomendation. Great guy. Also, Kathleen Waggoner. Very intimidating, but a great prof. She teaches a Poli Sci course that is designed to be exactly like a first year law school class (as does Deam) and basically tells you on the first day of class that if you aren't seriously considering law school, then drop the class then and there. I learned a ton in her class. Also, David Stuart was great for History of Rock (music 304). The man has great taste in music.

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Lester is a great guy!!
I'll have to tell him about your post!!

Never had Les for class, but he and his wife Connie are great folks.

Mike Crum - Transportation

I used him as a reference for pretty much every logistics class I had and still use him to this day for projects I do in my career. He was, and still is, always happy to help.

Mike had to be the most accomodating, helpful prof I've ever had. And if I ran into him on the street ten years later, he'd still recognize me.

I'd also add Dr. Peter Orazem, who I had for Labor Econ back in the Eighties--I think he just does grad classes now, but he was just out of grad school himself then. Once I had trouble on a test, because I wasn't great with graphs, and I sat down with him and explained the underlying theory--which was what he wanted anyway.

Then Reed Crawford for Labor Econ. The last I knew he had moved to N.C. State, but he was used and abused in the Presidents Office here for years before he left. Any bad news to comment on? Reed gets to do it. Any good news? I got that one...

I'd also add my Prof for a summer term in Medeival English Lit, but he was a last minute fill in when the original prof died, and last I heard, he was somewhere in Wisconsin. Darned if I can remember his name.

Jane Smiley for Creative Writing. It's hard to top that Pulitzer, let alone a rare PhD in the subject.

Yeah, there are more.

How about best advisers? New thread?

Last edited:

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
Haven't looked at the whole thread, but I'd have to go with Dirk Deam. He's in the political science department and I had him for Constitutional Law 1 & 2. He was great.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'll also add my Zoo 155 Prof, Kathleen Tatum. All right, she was smart and helpful and knew her stuff in a really boring class, but I understand she's teaching in Hawaii now. Had her when I went back to school, so even with her doctorate she was only a year older than me.

Shoop

Jun 4, 2008
Ames
My first semester freshman year I decided to take a performing arts class on a whim...ending up having one of the best professors ever. The guy's name was Patrick Gouran, was an identical clone to George Carlin. Smoked two packs a day, blaze white beard, bald crown, and cussed like a sailor while talking about different Shakespearan acting styles. Actually made gettting up at 8 o'clock fun during my very first semester!

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I decided to drag this thread up. I found a clip of my favorite professor EVER (happened to be from when I was at Iowa).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT_1Kw24TQo"]YouTube - "Professor" documentary[/ame]

Jay Holstein. Simply one of the best. He taught the class this way, and was hilarious. He would tell us the funniest stories, and would make jokes about how he had to put whiskey in his coffee in the morning before coming to class.

Also, you'll notice he mentions Iowa State.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
That dude's voice would drive me up the freaking wall. Funny as hell, but he'd drive me nuts.

and just to throw another name out there...Kayla Christensen...she's fresh outta college and I'll let you guess why showing up to class is worth it :biggrin:

Last edited:

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
That dude's voice would drive me up the freaking wall. Funny as hell, but he'd drive me nuts.

and just to throw another name out there...Kayla Christensen...she's fresh outta college and I'll let you guess why showing up to class is worth it :biggrin:

Class?

Reactions: IcSyU

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
Nicely played...very nicely played....:notworthy:

I haven't learned a whole lot about accounting...but if you were to ask me about her apparel design and fashion merchandising...

it was a somewhat serious question, but i take it she teaches accounting. what levels?

Help Support Us

Become a patron