Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
As a mother, the one thing that keeps going through my mind is that this happened so close in time to Mother's Day. Like others have said, I try to think of how I would feel, what I would do, what could I say, and I fail.

Thanks, tec71, for sharing what I think is the hardest thing in the world for a parent: to deal with the uncertainty and heartbreak of losing one's children and having to make decisions for which you feel unprepared. Best wishes and happy memories to you.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I will also add my prayers to those that have been sent. May Carson and Claire rest with the angels and may Heather and Chase's recoveries be fast and complete. As a father, I can't imagine what Mr. DeJoode is going through. It seems late to be praying now, but I know I'd want all I could get if I was going through anything even remotely similar. I pray that the Lord will be at his side through all that is to come. God Bless the entire family.

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
A brief update. Chase will be in a colar for a week or two. Heather had another surgery this morning. It went as well as can be expected. She is still critical but seems stable and is still unconscious. Again we appreciate all the kind words and thoughts.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
A brief update. Chase will be in a colar for a week or two. Heather had another surgery this morning. It went as well as can be expected. She is still critical but seems stable and is still unconscious. Again we appreciate all the kind words and thoughts.

I think it's safe to say that you and your family are receiving thousands of prayers daily. Stay strong!

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
If anyone wants to donate to something other than the main fund, Carson's karate studio is donating to a 529 account for Chase.

Dojo's Family Martial Arts | Facebook

Not sure if that link will work or not, I could not find their actual facebook address, but you can search for Dojo's family martial arts in Ankeny. There is info there how to donate to Chase's 529. I plan on heading in there tonight to make a donation.

From their wall: Dojo's Family Martial Arts
~ We will be collecting cash/check donations at the karate studio in memory of Carson & Claire DeJoode. We will be forwarding these monies directly to Chase DeJoode's current
529 plan to help with his college fund. Please make checks payable to Iowa Advisor 529 & write CHASE DEJOODE in the memo area of your check.2 hours ago

nickcyv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2009
My heart goes out to you and your family will be in my prayers.

rich4cy

Apr 11, 2006
I am so incredibly sorry for your loss, My thoughts and prayers are with your family! Coming from a guy who's baby sister received a heart transplant, and ultimately passed away 16 years later while waiting for another heart transplant, I want to say thank you! I will be praying for you and your family for months to come. God Bless you!!

jakemcilroy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
My brother wanted me to pass along this message....

Any money donated in Carson and Claire's memory is appreciated & will be used for a great cause and not towards medical bills.

Also, we have been contacted by hundreds of people and asked "What can we do to help?" or "If there is anything we can do, please let us know."

My brother would like everyone that has a desire to help to visit the website Iowa Donor Registry - Home You don't have to sign up, but please at least visit the site to learn more. That is his request to everyone that truly wants to help.

Thank you.

Reactions: superdorf

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
I wanted to share this video of my son Carson at the ISU Letterwinners Football Clinic the Saturday morning of the spring game/VEISHEA. We went to the clinic, out to breakfast then to the parade. The kids fell asleep leaving the parade so we missed the football game. My son loved the clinic, and asked me every Saturday morning since if we could go to "I-State Football" with the "big kids" that day. I tried to explain that we probably couldn't go to the clinic till the spring a year away, but that we'd go to some games this fall. "Fall is a long time away" he would always say. I wanted to point out that the reason he loved the clinic was how great of a job the "big kids" did being enthused. I was impressed since I'm sure that there was probably somewhere else they'd rather be on the Saturday morning of VEISHEA. O'Connell, Sims and Sandvig are in this clip with my son. I wanted to say to them thanks for the great memory.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aVt_px3_n1Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aVt_px3_n1Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I wanted to share this video of my son Carson at the ISU Letterwinners Football Clinic the Saturday morning of the spring game/VEISHEA. We went to the clinic, out to breakfast then to the parade. The kids fell asleep leaving the parade so we missed the football game. My son loved the clinic, and asked me every Saturday morning since if we could go to "I-State Football" with the "big kids" that day. I tried to explain that we probably couldn't go to the clinic till the spring a year away, but that we'd go to some games this fall. "Fall is a long time away" he would always say. I wanted to point out that the reason he loved the clinic was how great of a job the "big kids" did being enthused. I was impressed since I'm sure that there was probably somewhere else they'd rather be on the Saturday morning of VEISHEA. O'Connell, Sims and Sandvig are in this clip with my son. I wanted to say to them thanks for the great memory.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aVt_px3_n1Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aVt_px3_n1Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Im so glad u have that on video. What a tremendous memory!

Brought a tear to my eye. Im so sorry Tec

Last edited:

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
Thank you for sharing. You and your family has been in my thoughts and prayers all weekend. I sent a donation to the fund set up in Carson's and Claire's names today. It's not much, but I had to do something.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
What a great memory of what looks like a great little boy.

I have been amazed at the grace that your family has shown this week. Know that there are lots of people who are praying for peace and comfort for you and your family. And we will all still be praying for you in the weeks and months ahead.

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
I have had many requests for an update. I'll leave one but there's not much to update. Heather is still unconscious and has her next surgery on Friday. Chase came home tonight, and still in the neck brace. Toughest day I've ever had bringing him home. Thanks for the prayers.

Reactions: coachdags