Fox X-Men (Marvel) Movie/TV Universe

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Not Fox X-Men Universe related, but Marvel just announced they will be making a Deadpool animated series here soon with Donald and Stephen Glover as the developers. Obviously, they are trying to ride off Deadpool's recent movie success, and this is an interesting idea for sure, but at the same time, not an easy one to pull off well. For one, this TV show seems to be getting developed by Marvel, rather than by Fox (creator of Deadpool movie), so the creative teams behind the movie won't be the same as behind the TV show. Its worth noting that last I thought we learned was that Fox had the TV rights to the X-Men, but needed Marvel's permission to make X-Men TV shows. However more recently, they have actually been striking deals with Marvel to team up to make the TV projects like what they did with Legion. Anyway, confusing. Moving on with challenges, for two, no Ryan Reynolds voicing the character. Lets all admit, Reynolds voice and personality are a lot of what made Deadpool successful. Replacing that will be tough.

On the good side of the equation, while they don't have Fox's creative team, it seems like they've pulled together maybe an equally talented group to pull this off. Getting Donald Glover was clutch. Lastly, the fact that it will be on FXX has to bode well for it as that network seems to be killing it lately with making quality TV.

http://screenrant.com/deadpool-animated-tv-show-donald-glover-2018/

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Late to the party here I know, but I did finally finish Legion, so here is my full-out review for anyone interested. Overall, I really loved this series, as it was creative, innovative, and really different than anything we've seen so far from any Superhero TV series or movie. The creators really took a chance on this thing, and it payed off. This was my first FX series, but I get the gist that this type of innovative TV might be their niche, which is cool. The cinematography of the show was also spectacular overall. While the budget obviously wasn't anything too large, they did a good job of maximizing what they had to the point that the series seemed almost more movie quality than TV quality, which was great. They really went all-out on a couple episodes for sure budget-wise. Also, while I was a little worried after the first episode of this series being a little too out there for my liking, once things got rolling, you quickly realize this show is still an X-Men series at its heart that still contains all the good things that everyone wants and loves about the X-Men. Its just that they added a lot of creative fun on top of that core, which always left you guessing and wondering where everything was headed. Lastly, there is no doubt that the casting of the series was great as the acting all seemed top-notch. Again, it felt more like movie-quality acting that TV-quality, which is always good.

With that all said, the series did still have its flaws that unfortunately did take things down a notch. For one, the first really long episode, was a VERY slow burn. I get that they were trying to be creative in setting everything up, but sometimes that creative got a little too out of control and a little too slow at getting to the point. Frankly, I just found myself bored working may way through the entire episode. Then, just when you think you were past it by watching some pretty awesome episodes in 2-5, you get to episodes 6-7 that are almost an exact repeat of episode 1 with all the same downfalls. Almost feels like deja-vu, and at the same time, it almost feels like the series is in a low-budget stalling mode until the last episode, which is very good again.

Therefore, in the end, while I really loved the series and the creative team behind it, it is hard to call this thing "best series EVA" when I really didn't like 3 out of the 8 episodes overall, which is nearly half the episodes. Regardless, this was still a very solid series which I thought was good enough that I really hope they eventually tie it in somehow with the movies universe, which seems to still kind of be up in the air. Last I heard was that the series may or may not. They said the series pretty much has to earn that right, which I think it has. Stay tuned as I'll soon include Legion on my Comic Book TV rankings and post that update on here.
I am surprised you didn't like episode 7. That was probably my favorite one of the season. Aubrey Plaza killed it and the chalkboard moment with David and himself was great.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I am surprised you didn't like episode 7. That was probably my favorite one of the season. Aubrey Plaza killed it and the chalkboard moment with David and himself was great.

You know, episode 7 still had some really good moments, but also was really rough at spots too. If I really get down to It, episode 6 was the worst and some of that spilled over into episode 7. In the end, I just wasn't digging the constant revisiting of the mental hospital stuff.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
First new X-Men Fox TV show "Gifted" full trailer just got released:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/x-me...trailer-for-foxs-upcoming-x-men-drama-a151101

Personally, I think it looks pretty decent and is worth a shot. It is interesting to note that they do actually refer to the "X-Men" at one point in this trailer, unlike Legion really ever did, outside of the hinting at David Haller's parentage. Again, this show, along with Legion have still yet to be confirmed for sure as part of the movie universe.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Finally watched Logan for the first time last night. That movie far-exceeded my expectations, which is rare for me because I wait for these movies to become available for purchase instead of seeing them in the theater so it's easy to be let-down either due to spoilers or hype. The action scenes were great and the dramatic-tone was perfect. Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman always had great on-screen chemistry and it was awesome to see how their relationship has changed over the past 17(!) years. What a way for Hugh Jackman to end his career as Wolverine on a high-note. I'll need to go back and re-watch the X-Men franchise to update my rankings, but Logan is definitely near the top of my list.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I don't know who this guy is, but here's a new cast addition to Deadpool 2:

EXCLUSIVE: 2oth Century Fox has set Jack Kesy to play a major villain in Deadpool 2. While insiders said it isn’t entirely clear which baddie he will play, sources have pinpointed a character called Black Tom. In the comics, he is a nemesis in the X-Men universe, a Dublin-born mutant who can manipulate, bond with, and project energy through plant life. He is also capable of issuing concussive blasts with a wooden object, usually a shillelagh.

http://deadline.com/2017/05/deadpool-2-jack-kesy-villain-black-tom-ryan-reynolds-1202101493/

Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
http://www.cbr.com/new-mutants-movie-rosario-dawson/

Rosario Dawson is now in talks for a New Mutants X-Men role apparently. There is no doubt we are definitely seeing a few more actors/actresses willing to cross over between different shared universes for sure more recently. Josh Brolin as Thanos (MCU) and Cable (Fox X-Men Universe) was the other more recent crossover. I guess we know it is possible at least. With that said, I'm still not expecting to see someone on the level of RDJ appearing in a DCEU film anytime soon.

Speaking of Rosario Dawson though, I'm still holding out hope for her appearing as an older Ashoka in a future Star Wars movie sometime. She has said she wants to play that role.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
http://www.cbr.com/new-mutants-movie-rosario-dawson/

Rosario Dawson is now in talks for a New Mutants X-Men role apparently. There is no doubt we are definitely seeing a few more actors/actresses willing to cross over between different shared universes for sure more recently. Josh Brolin as Thanos (MCU) and Cable (Fox X-Men Universe) was the other more recent crossover. I guess we know it is possible at least. With that said, I'm still not expecting to see someone on the level of RDJ appearing in a DCEU film anytime soon.

Speaking of Rosario Dawson though, I'm still holding out hope for her appearing as an older Ashoka in a future Star Wars movie sometime. She has said she wants to play that role.

So Rosario Dawson trying to be like Josh Brolin and cover all the major comic-verses:

MCU - Defenders series
DC (she voiced Barbara Gordon in Lego: Batman)
X-Men universe - if she ends up with a role in New Mutants
Darkhorse Comics - Both she and Brolin were in the Sin City Films

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Simon Kinberg is officially directing X-Men: Dark Phoenix. He has been a producer for all the X-Men movies since First Class. The movie will be set in 1991.

Jessica Chastain is apparently the front-runner to play Lilandra - I have also seen that Angelina Jolie was being courted for that role as well.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/x-men-dark-phoenix-sets-its-main-cast-and-creative-tea-1796100959

Truthfully, I'm not sure what to think of this. Kinberg has been around FOREVER and has been involved to some capacity in a ton of superhero movies in the past to some capacity. However, he just has never been the director of any of them. Then, at the same time for those he has been involved with, he's been with some really good ones as well as some really bad ones too. I guess we'll see. I'm kind of 50-50 on the guys right now. He could be really good or not too.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
There is a casting call out there for 16 (!) new characters for X-Men: Dark Phoenix.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/help-us-figure-out-who-these-16-new-characters-are-goin-1796167950

The word is that the core X-Men group that we saw at the end of Apocalypse will all be returning: Fassbender as Magneto, McAvoy as Professor X, Jennifer Lawrence as Mustique, Nicholas Hoult as Beast, as well as Storm, Cyclops and Jean Grey. No word on if Quicksilver is coming back.

The io9 article has made some guesses on 4 characters based on the casting call descriptions:
Sunfire
Dazzler
Monet
Rogue

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
It's time for Fassbender and JLaw to sit one out. I love Fassbender but Magneto doesn't need to be in every damn X-Men story. Mystique's role in Days of Future Past made sense and should have been the end of her role in the series; she was completely unnecessary in Apocalypse and took away screen time from the young Scott, Jean, Nightcrawler, and Storm, all of whom were pretty good, I thought.

More than anything I hope they give the Dark Phoenix story some better justice. By skipping the regular Phoenix plot I'm afraid they're going to cram in too many characters once again and waste its potential.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
http://screenrant.com/deadpool-2-cast-julian-dennison/

Deadpool 2 just cast Julian Dennison, the funny little kid from The Hunt for the Wilderpeople (directed by Taika Waititi), in the movie. While I think cult hit The Hunt for the Wilderpeople was totally overrated, there is no denying that this kid was completely hilarious in it at times. With that said, based on the unique humor this kid can pull off, I'm not surprised they want him in a Deadpool movie.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
While I think cult hit The Hunt for the Wilderpeople was totally overrated, .

giphy.gif

But I agree that is a pretty good casting decision and could lead to some fun banter with Deadpool. There has been some set photos released over the past few days as well:

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
giphy.gif

But I agree that is a pretty good casting decision and could lead to some fun banter with Deadpool. There has been some set photos released over the past few days as well:

Hey to each their own I guess. I still stand by my statement. I almost fell asleep during that movie due to boredom.

• Friendly
Reactions: 3GenClone

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Not sure how a movie which barely anyone knows exists is overrated, but youre right,, to each their own.