Fran McCaffery and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Transfer Portal

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
You would think that would be the case, but it's wrong. There just is not money in WBB at this time, the most revenue I saw from the link I provided was by S. Carolina, which brought in a little over $5 million last year, their expenses were $10.7 million. At the same time, their MBB program, not nearly as good as their WBB brought in $11.56 million. They actually made around $3 million for the school while the women's program lost over $5 million more.

ISU is much the same, the women's program was in the top 5 in attendance and still lost $4.5 million dollars, while the men's program made $7.8 million for the university. WBB just has a ceiling of around $5 million that is brought in and your expenses are more than that for many programs.
Oh I know there's not money in WBB. I'm not trying to argue that. My point is that as a fan I would rather have them put money in a program that is a lot more likely to be successful. With the crazy TV money they can afford to lose a few million on the women's program. The men's team isn't getting 4 and 5 star recruits/high level transfers no matter what happens.

Reactions: BigCyFan

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
LOL so lets dump money into a non revenue generating sport. Smart investors...
LOL it's an athletic department not a stock portfolio. They make more than enough from football to lose a few million on WBB. I guess you think universities should only put money towards football and men's basketball since those are the only profitable programs?

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Holy debt balls Batman. U of Iowa is almost $1 billion more in debt than Iowa State.
U of Iowa - total institutional debt: $1,486,166,828
Iowa State - total institutional debt: $ 507,501,368

Athletic Departments only:
U of Iowa: $235,125,162
Iowa State: $114,262,531

Well I guess Fran isn’t going anywhere for a while.

• Optimistic
Reactions: irish

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Holy debt balls Batman. U of Iowa is almost $1 billion more in debt than Iowa State.

That's insane given their media contract money, total donor base, academic donor base, etc.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Oh I know there's not money in WBB. I'm not trying to argue that. My point is that as a fan I would rather have them put money in a program that is a lot more likely to be successful. With the crazy TV money they can afford to lose a few million on the women's program. The men's team isn't getting 4 and 5 star recruits/high level transfers no matter what happens.
I really doubt EIU can maintain their current level of success no matter how much money they pump into the program. For the last two years they have had the national player of the year in CC, also had two 5th year seniors to fall back on this year. That is a lot of experience with kids used to winning at a high level and Clark was a difference maker.

EIU is in the middle of nowhere recruiting wise and it's going to be nearly impossible for them to continue to draw in the multiple 5-star recruits to build up their roster. Teams like UCONN and S. Carolina are in better recruiting areas of the country and remember that in women's there is no money to be made in the WNBA so most are going to stay the full four years. EIU would be better off spending extra money on wrestling, better recruiting and much better history of winning.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You also have to wonder with the TV money rolling in does EIU have the money to buyout Fran, the stopping the construction of the baseball stadium remodel makes one wonder if they are rich on paper but poor in funds. Bring in a lot of money each year, and it rolls out as fast as it comes in. During covid they and not ISU had to borrow money from the school to make it through the year.
That's mighty optimistic of you to think Iowa is paying their contractors...

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

No wonder they are trying to get out of paying their contractors...

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Jamie among other have forecasted this. With paying players at the forefront, facility upgrades will take a hit. Lucky ISU got the Stark Performance Center funded before Covid.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
For as cool as having baseball would be its pretty easy to see why we don't have it
Iowa is the beneficiary of the combination of the Big Ten being a dog **** baseball league and Rick Heller being a really good coach though that's going to change a bit with the West Coast schools.

Always made way more sense for Iowa to have baseball in that league than Iowa State having it with all the southern schools in the original Big 12.

Fiscal malpractice to dump a bunch of money into baseball at the other schools in the state.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
For as cool as having baseball would be its pretty easy to see why we don't have it
Hard to be a cold weather location school and play in a conference that contains so many warm weather schools. ISU never had the money to put into baseball and fans were not going to come out and sit in 40-degree weather to see a game.
Hated we had to cut baseball, but it was the right decision to get the most bang for your buck.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Iowa is the beneficiary of the combination of the Big Ten being a dog **** baseball league and Rick Heller being a really good coach though that's going to change a bit with the West Coast schools.

Always made way more sense for Iowa to have baseball in that league than Iowa State having it with all the southern schools in the original Big 12.

Fiscal malpractice to dump a bunch of money into baseball at the other schools in the state.
EIU was always Heller's dream job, and he thought he had it when he was coaching at Upper Iowa then UNI and they gave the job to Broghamer then Dahm. Heller also has been helped out that ISU and then UNI dropped the sport.
Eldon boy makes good.

Reactions: jmax71

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017

Yep, the B1G thinks they are a good baseball league, but they are the equivalent of the MAC in football.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA

The rumor at a AAU tourney this weekend was that IA gave Olsen $400K - that has to be that majority of their NIL budget. Olsen scored a lot of points but was not real efficient - looks like a volume scorer, it is unlikely she will have a CC affect if that is what they are looking for, also not sure how the locker room will accept someone that takes that majority of the $$ and shots after others have been waiting their turn after CC.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I'll be interested to see if that is really achievable.
Did fans come to see WBB or Clark the top individual talent in her sport? I am guessing it is the latter.

Tennessee and UCONN WBB maintained decades of success and attendance but that was driven by HOF coaches Pat S and Geno.
But the BRILLIANCE of Lisa Bluder!
Haven't you heard?
/ sarcasm

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron