Huggins might be in trouble, DUI is good, Bees are bad

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins

"WTRF hosts “Full Court Press” which begins a new season on Nov., 7. According to the station’s post, The former head basketball coach for West Virginia University will draw on his extensive experience and knowledge to provide valuable insights, analysis and exclusive stories.”
It doesn't seem like a great idea for him to be in a media role where he's commenting a lot on West Virginia. It's a bit like when Prohm in his year off was on that national college basketball podcast, and Iowa State was awkwardly brought up once when he was on. Of course, with the notable exceptions that Prohm is a better person than Huggins and was able to handle it with some grace, Huggins wasn't pushed out because of on-court performance, and Huggins is still trying to get his job back.

I feel like it'll basically just be Huggins trying to sell the idea that he should be rehired after this season, especially if WVU struggles.

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
It doesn't seem like a great idea for him to be in a media role where he's commenting a lot on West Virginia. It's a bit like when Prohm in his year off was on that national college basketball podcast, and Iowa State was awkwardly brought up once when he was on. Of course, with the notable exceptions that Prohm is a better person than Huggins and was able to handle it with some grace, Huggins wasn't pushed out because of on-court performance, and Huggins is still trying to get his job back.

I feel like it'll basically just be Huggins trying to sell the idea that he should be rehired after this season, especially if WVU struggles.
Yeah, the pod will only be good if Huggy goes in and says Huggy-type things. Would be a good listen to hear him unfiltered, but there’s not a lot of basketball programs that are willing to sign up for that.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
This is as good a place as any for this. WV squeaked by Missouri State, first game of season for them. "West Virginia had just eight scholarship players available for Monday's game."

Not having Huggins is going to be a challenge for them, necessary though, IMO. A rough interim year may be ahead.

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
not sure why coaches, supreme court justicse, and politicians that dont need money always go out kicking and screaming rather than retire.

Jim Brown and Barry Sanders went out while they were at the top--most dont.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
not sure why coaches, supreme court justicse, and politicians that dont need money always go out kicking and screaming rather than retire.

Jim Brown and Barry Sanders went out while they were at the top--most dont.
Ego. To be fair, you probably have to have a really strong ego to succeed at a high level in sports.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Is this Huggins? This person was seen talking with the commentators and wearing a headset

Attachments

• IMG_8205.jpeg
    IMG_8205.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 46

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Yeah, the pod will only be good if Huggy goes in and says Huggy-type things. Would be a good listen to hear him unfiltered, but there’s not a lot of basketball programs that are willing to sign up for that.
I agree. But I will say Huggins was always a good listen when gainfully employed, even in his post games.

I miss him angrily breathing into the mic, treating every question like it's the dumbest question he's ever heard, and constantly throwing his own players under the bus.

But hey, winning is a powerful drug. Heck, if you got fans sticking up for coaches like Tang, imagine what people will put up with to bring in a coach with a resume like Huggy Bear.

Even Eustachy got hired again, and their issues are not completely unrelated. Just blame it on the alcohol, say you are sober, don't get arrested again lol. I could see it either way.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
kinda bold being there after trying to have a legal fight with the AD
Not really. Word here in W.V. is that he's still heavily involved in the program. It's been on the hush-hush, but the signs certainly suggest it. For example the wording on their official site still says 'interim' for Eilert. That's a LONG time for an 'interim' coach. As a consultant he can still be involved in the program without facing the public scrutiny. Just food for thought.

JEFF420

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 6, 2014
Michigan
Judging by the picture alone, I'd guess Huggins has gotten help, stopped drinking, and turned his life around. Good for him! Reminds me of Eustacy.
lots of 65 year old men completely change their lives

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
This is the best outcome you could hope for I think. He doesnt seem to hold any animosity and he looks much healthier. I doubt the AD or the powers that be see a ton of benefit in going after him as he's much loved by WV