If the B12 remains intact and moves forward

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Looking back, how in the hell was the old Big East an automatic BCS qualifier. Cincinnati, Connecticut, Louisville, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, USF, West Virginia. The R8 are head and shoulders better than that conference

I think everyone realized how bad of an idea that was when UConn got a BCS bowl bid and brought like 3k fans.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Looking back, how in the hell was the old Big East an automatic BCS qualifier. Cincinnati, Connecticut, Louisville, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, USF, West Virginia. The R8 are head and shoulders better than that conference

That was the shell of the Big East after they got poached by the ACC and lost Miami and Virginia Tech. They soon lost their status after that.

Hopefully it’s a precursor of the Big 12 story to come. They acted like they could survive and were floating Boise State and TCU offers (I think maybe San Diego State, too - the best football brands they could find - sound familiar?). Then - Louisville, Pitt, and Syracuse went to the ACC, Rutgers went to the B1G, and West Virginia went to the Big 12. They got carved up. Cincinnati, UConn, and USF were left holding the bag.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Until 2025 the R8 will more than likely have to stay in the big 12 in order to get all of the money from UT,OU, SEC and ESPN so predicting additions isnt crazy. Ive done way too much research on R1 and R2 research universities, endowments, enrollments etc. I don't really agree with all of these schools but if someone put a gun to my head and asked what the big 12 looks like in 2024 this is it. East Cincinnati, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, USF, West Virginia. West Baylor, BYU, Colorado State, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech. Houston and UCF would also have a chance, Memphis has zero chance. USF is designated as one of 3 preeminent research universities in the state of Florida, the other 2 being FSU and UF, and has a 6x larger endowment than UCF so picking them was relatively easy. Again, way to much research.

I don’t think the Big 12 will really care about endowments and school quality honestly. We don’t have that luxury. The goal will be to add the best football programs. We need to play the best teams we can in order to keep the league relevant and considered P5. So it will be about maximizing $$$ and getting good football teams into the league.

So what if USF is one of the three best research schools in Florida; if our consultants tell us that UCF commands more TV money, and we decide their football program is better (it is), we are adding UCF first.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
We'll be on the sports equivalent of food stamps. No thanks.

Not quite. Sports food stamps is playing a road schedule of buy games. Something in between being the buyer of said games and the recipient is where we'd be. Financial purgatory?

Cyowa 14

THE Iowa State University Class of 2014
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 26, 2019
I don’t think the Big 12 will really care about endowments and school quality honestly. We don’t have that luxury. The goal will be to add the best football programs. We need to play the best teams we can in order to keep the league relevant and considered P5. So it will be about maximizing $$$ and getting good football teams into the league.

So what if USF is one of the three best research schools in Florida; if our consultants tell us that UCF commands more TV money, and we decide their football program is better (it is), we are adding UCF first.
I agree they shouldn't but I guarantee they will. It's what makes this whole thing make zero sense

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
The big twelve will be at best a two year venture. It will be this and at most next. No way all four years are finished as GoR for PAC and Big are up the year before and that will determine who is where.

Report: UCF Is Being Pursued By Another Conference (msn.com) Spoiler: By the Big 12.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn

According to Chris Torello of My9 News, UCF are “being pursued” by the Big 12 Conference. And UCF are believed to be “cautiously optimistic” about the offer.

Torello noted that UCF would love to jump the American Athletic Conference ship and join a bigger conference. But he speculated that they might wait given the state of the Big 12.

• Informative
  • Dislike
Reactions: 2020cy and CYCLNST8

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I wonder if the American is putting together some kind of pact like if UCF bounces to the Big 12, and then the league gets picked apart until only 3 schools or left or whatever, the American won’t take them back. Why else would UCF be hesitant, if there’s really an offer/pursuit? The data shows they are the American’s most valuable TV brand and considering recruiting footprint and fan base etc. they’re probably the most attractive addition option not named BYU. It’s hard to see their conference position get worse than it currently is.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
Everyone says its about streaming numbers and not markets but then turns around
and says we have too many teams from Texas when Houston is mentioned. In state games get more coverage and intensity of viewers. Adding UH will also help intensify the viewers for all Texahoma games, IMO even when UH isn't involved.. Yes UH doesn't get great attendance but this is about tv money. 4 teams in Texas will help media coverage in the state also and will keep the B12 relevant to recruits. UH BYU, Cincy and UCF is not the old Big 12 but maybe can contend with the ACC and PAC some years. I doubt Memphis &CSU as 13 & 14 add enough value.

Last edited:

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
just like ours, their teams were generally competitive. Remember when WVU killed OU?

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
People, we all know how this turns out.

Inspired by an ISU Cinderella CFP National Championship victory, there is a sunden groundswell of support to save the Big XII.

2022 is an election year. The Governors of TX, OK, AR, and NE are all up for relection.

The new governor of Oklahoma, an OSU grad, tells OU to knock this crap off our you will lose a half billion dollars a year in funding to make up for the economic damages you caused to Stillwater and Tulsa. OU publicly denounces its application to the SEC and reapplies to the Big XII.

The new Texas governor, a Tech grad, not to be out done by the new OK governor, proclaims they are going to take back Texas from all these other carpetbagger conferences and promptly orders UT and aTm to apply for application to the Big XII or else they will lose a billion dollars a year in funding. They cry out "Remember the Alamo!" And promptly apply for admission to the Big XII.

Arkansas's new governor decides to end years of futility in the SEC and orders the Razorbacks to apply for admission to the Big XII.

Missouri, still pissed at getting stuck in the eastern division, says "Screw it. At least the Jayhawks gave a crap about playing us." They promptly apply for admission to the Big XII.

Colorado, pissed that the Pac 12 is going to unequal revenue sharing of one small ass paycheck, looks at Nebraska through squinting eyes and a cloud of bong smoke and says "Looks like the gang is getting back together, bro. What do you say? Are you in?" Nebraska immediately has flashbacks to the glory days of the 90's and starts drooling all over itself while nodding slowly.

West Virginia whines, "What about us? We need someone closer to play in the Conference!"

Everyone then looks at Cincinnati. Cincinnati then proclaims they would happily throw piss bombs and batteries at West Virginia. Mysteriously, numerous couches in Morgantown spontaneously burst into flames

Houston starts crying, "What about us? I thought we were taking Texas back!" Everyone looks at Houston and replies in unison "Shut the **** up Donnie!"

The Big XVI becomes the first super conference headlined by defending National CFP Champions Iowa State.

Last edited:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Not quite. Sports food stamps is playing a road schedule of buy games. Something in between being the buyer of said games and the recipient is where we'd be. Financial purgatory?

We are not guaranteed anything and we could be a tough spot in a few years.

Hoping for the best, mentally preparing for rough stretch-as many here may come to realize.

We have many attributes of success in sports, facilities, fans but in the SEC-driven ESPN crapshoot, the future is disturbingly unclear. I am hoping for some big, good, positive news.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
We are not guaranteed anything and we could be a tough spot in a few years.

Hoping for the best, mentally preparing for rough stretch-as many here may come to realize.

We have many attributes of success in sports, facilities, fans but in the SEC-driven ESPN crapshoot, the future is disturbingly unclear. I am hoping for some big, good, positive news.

Sounds like a description of purgatory

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
UCF, Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis

And you put all four of them in the East division with Baylor and West Virginia. The original Big 8 schools plus TCU and Texas Tech are in the West.

This is my preference assuming they decide BYU and Boise are just as valuable as Memphis and Houston. Otherwise take the money.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cyclones1969