If the B12 remains intact and moves forward

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Its going to be BYU and Cincinnati...locked in, certain. For the record, none of this means expansion in 2022-2023 is any more or less likely...but until the game of "settlement" chicken is complete with OU/UT everything must move forward in a "normal" manner.

.IF the expansion committee decides 12 is better than 10 (which is no sure thing)...2 of UCF, Memphis (more likely) or Houston (Less Likely) would be added. Boise State is not going to be a serious part of that discussion. 16 absolutely won't happen.

Twelve MAY happen but I think ten is the most likely setup....the committee's job will be to work with network input and figure out the most profitable mix.

It will take some time but it ain't rocket science.

My preference...not knowing all the financial details...would be a 12 team Big 12 as follows:

BYUWest Virginia
Oklahoma StateCincinnati
Iowa StateBaylor
Kansas StateMemphis
Texas TechTCU
KansasUCF

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
People, we all know how this turns out.

Inspired by an ISU Cinderella CFP National Championship victory, there is a sunden groundswell of support to save the Big XII.

2022 is an election year. The Governors of TX, OK, AR, and NE are all up for relection.

The new governor of Oklahoma, an OSU grad, tells OU to knock this crap off our you will lose a half billion dollars a year in funding to make up for the economic damages you caused to Stillwater and Tulsa. OU publicly denounces its application to the SEC and reapplies to the Big XII.

The new Texas governor, a Tech grad, not to be out done by the new OK governor, proclaims they are going to take back Texas from all these other carpetbagger conferences and promptly orders UT and aTm to apply for application to the Big XII or else they will lose a billion dollars a year in funding. They cry out "Remember the Alamo!" And promptly apply for admission to the Big XII.

Arkansas's new governor decides to end years of futility in the SEC and orders the Razorbacks to apply for admission to the Big XII.

Missouri, still pissed at getting stuck in the eastern division, says "Screw it. At least the Jayhawks gave a crap about playing us." They promptly apply for admission to the Big XII.

Colorado, pissed that the Pac 12 is going to unequal revenue sharing of one small ass paycheck, looks at Nebraska through squinting eyes and a cloud of bong smoke and says "Looks like the gang is getting back together, bro. What do you say? Are you in?" Nebraska immediately has flashbacks to the glory days of the 90's and starts drooling all over itself while nodding slowly.

West Virginia whines, "What about us? We need someone closer to play in the Conference!"

Everyone then looks at Cincinnati. Cincinnati then proclaims they would happily throw piss bombs and batteries at West Virginia. Mysteriously, numerous couches in Morgantown spontaneously burst into flames

Houston starts crying, "What about us? I thought we were taking Texas back!" Everyone looks at Houston and replies in unison "Shut the **** up Donnie!"

The Big XVI becomes the first super conference headlined by defending National CFP Champions Iowa State.

Arguably the best post yet on realignment, and only slightly less likely than any of the other billion outcomes forseen.

Reactions: DarkStar

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Its going to be BYU and Cincinnati...locked in, certain. For the record, none of this means expansion in 2022-2023 is any more or less likely...but until the game of "settlement" chicken is complete with OU/UT everything must move forward in a "normal" manner.

.IF the expansion committee decides 12 is better than 10 (which is no sure thing)...2 of UCF, Memphis (more likely) or Houston (Less Likely) would be added. Boise State is not going to be a serious part of that discussion. 16 absolutely won't happen.

Twelve MAY happen but I think ten is the most likely setup....the committee's job will be to work with network input and figure out the most profitable mix.

It will take some time but it ain't rocket science.

My preference...not knowing all the financial details...would be a 12 team Big 12 as follows:

BYUWest Virginia
Oklahoma StateCincinnati
Iowa StateBaylor
Kansas StateMemphis
Texas TechTCU
KansasUCF
With those teams I see North and south.

North: BYU, ISU, KSU, KU, Cincy, WV.

South: the rest

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
With those teams I see North and south.

North: BYU, ISU, KSU, KU, Cincy, WV.

South: the rest

I give it about a 0.1% chance that the existing schools in your North agree to put all four Texas and Florida schools in the opposite division. ISU KU KSU WVU have leverage now to build divisions that allow for equitable recruiting unlike the original Big 12. I expect we will push for it

• Agree
Reactions: HouClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I give it about a 0.1% chance that the existing schools in your North agree to put all four Texas and Florida schools in the opposite division. ISU KU KSU WVU have leverage now to build divisions that allow for equitable recruiting unlike the original Big 12. I expect we will push for it
That thinking about having to recruit where you play doesn't fly with Campbell. He pulls a lot from Illinois, Wisky, Florida, Arizona, and Ohio. If you look at the roster, we don't have a lot from Texas. So why would they be worked up about it?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Not sure what you ready, but what I posted showed the live attendance is right in line with the ACC & PAC. It also shows the R8 plus those schools have grown, while the ACC & PAC declined.

None of the stats you posted really matter. It’s 100% about eyeballs watching on TV. ESPN/Fox don’t care about on-site attendance.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Adding Houston would be a mistake unless you go past 12. I'd rather start with BYU and Cincy to get back to 10.

Keeping power out of the state of Texas is a good thing. We already have 3 Texas schools in the Big 12. Adding Houston wouldn't suddenly open up Houston for recruiting.. CMC focuses on the Midwest anyway. Having a road trip to Cincy every other year would probably make Campbell very happy. Would love to snag a couple more Mike Rose's, Joe Scates, Malik Verdon, Dae'Shawn Davis', Jarrod Hufford, etc

Probably a good idea to go the 12. Would rather see UCF and USF get us to 12. UCF is a national brand and both schools REALLY open up Central Florida recruiting, massive alumni networks and the BIG eyeball markets. Do you know how many Midwest transplants spend their retirments in the Orlando and Tampa areas???

After those 4 is where I become less interested in adding schools. If we REALLY want to expand past 12, I'd say Memphis and the military schools would get my vote. Those academies have strong followings, you get Army-Navy as the premier game late in the season to boost the TV demand and

Last edited:
Reactions: CascadeClone

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I think if they do have to do some adds, but knowing that it might be for a short time-
what if you MERGE the AAC and Big12 entirely, AND add BYU. The Big20 or Big American Twenty (BAT).

Gives you 20 teams, so you would certainly have a ton of inventory at least.

You could do pods of 5, or two 10 team divisions, maybe even a 4 team conf champ playoff. You could do 10 conference games - now you REALLY have a lot to sell. You can maybe keep P5 status?

But this isn't even the point. Down the road, if some of the Irate 8 get moved to Pac or B1G, there's enough teams left that you aren't scrambling around again. And if a Baylor or WV got left behind, they would still have the BAT in place and maybe it wouldn't totally suck. It would be a step above the ACC now, at least.

I suppose alternately, you could just add BYU and Cincy, and then try to do some kind of scheduling agreement with the AAC. Maybe awkward doing that though, if you just poached their best school. But if the quid pro quo is BYU maybe its OK.

This is pretty half baked, but dumber things have been proposed so I don't feel too bad about it.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Will be VERY interesting if new Big 12 members taking a smaller share to join the league. That would help keep revenues high for the ANGRY 8 while still likely increasing the TV dollars for the new entries.

Example: BUY makes about $8M a year from TV. A new Big 12 could fetch roughly $25M+ per school by some estimates I've seen. The remaining 8 could ask for $30M a year. Leaving BYU, Cincy, UCF and USF approx. $15M/yr. That is double what AAC schools currently take in. Win-win?

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
Adding Houston would be a mistake unless you go past 12. I'd rather start with BYU and Cincy to get back to 10.

Keeping power out of the state of Texas is a good thing. We already have 3 Texas schools in the Big 12. Adding Houston wouldn't suddenly open up Houston for recruiting.. CMC focuses on the Midwest anyway. Having a road trip to Cincy every other year would probably make Campbell very happy. Would love to snag a couple more Mike Rose's, Joe Scates, Malik Verdon, Dae'Shawn Davis', Jarrod Hufford, etc

Probably a good idea to go the 12. Would rather see UCF and USF get us to 12. UCF is a national brand and both schools REALLY open up Central Florida recruiting, massive alumni networks and the BIG eyeball markets. Do you know how many Midwest transplants spend their retirments in the Orlando and Tampa areas???

After those 4 is where I become less interested in adding schools. If we REALLY want to expand past 12, I'd say Memphis and the military schools would get my vote. Those academies have strong followings, you get Army-Navy as the premier game late in the season to boost the TV demand and
You can't add Army or the Army Vs Navy game has to be played before the CCG and if the game is on a Saturday where everyone plays it never gets the draw it does now as a stand alone game.

If you care about number of viewers per game you add UH. It doesn't matter A&M is the most watched team in Houston, adding UH adds viewers to ALL Texahoma games.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
TO put UCF and USF;s enrollment into Iowa context.. If those campus' enrollement where Iowa counties.. They'd rank #11 and #12 of the 99 Iowa counties.

UCF enrollment is nearly double that of ISU and USF is double most of the remaining 8 school's enrollment

UCF and USF have struggled to consistently fill their stadiums with students. But they can.. Stanford game in 2019 was a sellout and loud (watch youtube highlights). Students will come when they are playing nationally relevant games on a Saturday night.. Not playing Tulsa on a Thursday night

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
TO put UCF and USF;s enrollment into Iowa context.. If those campus' enrollement where Iowa counties.. They'd rank #111 and #12 of the 99 Iowa counties.

UCF enrollment is nearly double that of ISU and USF is double most of the remaining 8 school's enrollment

UCF and USF have struggled to consistently fill their stadiums with students. But they can.. Stanford game in 2019 was a sellout and loud (watch youtube highlights). Students will come when they are playing nationally relevant games on a Saturday night.. Not playing Tulsa on a Thursday night
111 out of 99 counties is impressive.

• Haha
Reactions: Jack Gladney

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
You can't add Army or the Army Vs Navy game has to be played before the CCG and if the game is on a Saturday where everyone plays it never gets the draw it does now as a stand alone game.

You absolutely could add Army and Navy and keep the special date for their game. Put them in opposite divisions and never schedule them against each other during the regular season. If the CCG ends up as anything but Army vs Navy, keep the game and everything normal. If Army vs Navy becomes the CCG, you cancel it and play for the conference title the next week.

Too much of a financial blow? Keep them in the same division and use win % to determine the winner of it. Navy is 6-2 and K-State is 6-3, Navy gets the CCG. Then they play Army the next week. Navy is 6-2 and OSU is 7-2, OSU gets to go, and Navy still plays Army the week after.

im sure people can think of more options if they thought for more than 2 minutes but there are clearly ways to do it while keeping the very valuable 7MM viewer game on the week after the CCGs.

Reactions: isufanz1

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
I think if they do have to do some adds, but knowing that it might be for a short time-
what if you MERGE the AAC and Big12 entirely, AND add BYU. The Big20 or Big American Twenty (BAT).

Gives you 20 teams, so you would certainly have a ton of inventory at least.

You could do pods of 5, or two 10 team divisions, maybe even a 4 team conf champ playoff. You could do 10 conference games - now you REALLY have a lot to sell. You can maybe keep P5 status?

But this isn't even the point. Down the road, if some of the Irate 8 get moved to Pac or B1G, there's enough teams left that you aren't scrambling around again. And if a Baylor or WV got left behind, they would still have the BAT in place and maybe it wouldn't totally suck. It would be a step above the ACC now, at least.

I suppose alternately, you could just add BYU and Cincy, and then try to do some kind of scheduling agreement with the AAC. Maybe awkward doing that though, if you just poached their best school. But if the quid pro quo is BYU maybe its OK.

This is pretty half baked, but dumber things have been proposed so I don't feel too bad about it.
Hellllll no. Split up a smaller pie into 20 pieces. Total disaster financially.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011

If you care about number of viewers per game you add UH. It doesn't matter A&M is the most watched team in Houston, adding UH adds viewers to ALL Texahoma games.

What about adding them and making that game go on Week 0? That game get's 5 million eyeballs a year in December. I bet it could do better to kick off college football. You could do college gameday their annually.

*I only want to add the service academies if we are talking about a massive member conference. BYU, Cincy, UCF, USF and Memphis are all higher on my priority list

Reactions: Win5002

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Don’t the presidents make these decisions? People underestimate the cultural fit Colorado State would be. Land Grant Ag school in old Big 12 territory. Don’t count them out.

I don’t understand the love for the bloated city colleges. Commuter schools don’t have any real fans. Houston cheers for A&M, UCF cheers the Gators. Memphis & Cincy fans may actually show up, however.