IOWA STATE TO BIG TEN?!? Dave Wannstedt thinks so.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
So, using the OuT "value" of $150M, that means a plus up of roughly $9.3M per team in SEC. Certainly good for the likes of Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, and Missouri, but hardly a game changer for Alabama, TAMU, and dare I say, Texas. Heck, this actually may be a reduction for Texas, especially if the SEC hits them with an entrance fee. The big $'s were being banked on the expanded CFP where the SEC was looking to send 3-4 teams every year. If that doesn't happen, the SEC as a whole gets a little richer, but only gets 1 or at most 2 CFP teams, just like today. And, it isn't like $'s guarantee success...see Texas.

If the Big 12 disburses teams to the BIGACCPAC, great, if not, the league continues with new members, a reduction in $'s (maybe...or maybe the streaming option evens things up), and the same opportunity to make the CFP as it has now. If so, OuT, don't let the door hit you on the ass, and hope you enjoy a significantly tougher road to the CFP. Seriously, imagine the following...OU heads to the Lipton Sweet Tea Bowl, Texas sits at home for the holidays, and Iowa State gets in the CFP...;)

Reactions: StLouisClone

Thorongil Clone

Gone to Numenor
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2021
This can’t be. I was told I was stupid for believing the Big 12 would actually expand and this is all a smoke screen to force OU/TX to pay more.

Big 12 expansion still may be only a short-term event, you know. If you think you know what the college football landscape with look like in 5 years and 10 years, then please put that on the record.

Also, I believe that you are engaging in mischaracterization or conflation or both in how you are describing other people's comments (which would not be out of the ordinary given your posting history).

• Haha
Reactions: Cyclones1969

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I don’t buy the secret landing spot theory either. It’s something we all want but I don’t know how anybody could assume that or feel sure of it unless they’re very connected and know something that isn’t public. I wanted to believe Wannstedt knew something but I think from the comments he made in his video it’s pretty clear he was just speculating based on conversations, probably with other media people.

I’m sure there are discussions between schools and other power conferences but I think the Big 12 is going to stay together and expand. Some of the schools including Iowa State may get raided from the Big 12 in the next few years but I don’t think there’s any guarantee. I wouldn’t be surprised if all the schools ended up somewhere else within the next decade or so though.

I think the secret landing place theory and the idea that the expansion stuff is all for show is ”My Pillow guy“ level stuff. At some point you have to believe what your eyes are telling you.

Only the folks trying to be "realistic" really hold the opinion that the Big 12 will expand next week (if the G6 schools will have them) and list their schools. The truth is no one including insiders and the institutions themselves both Big 12 and others truly know what is going to happen. All public statements are made for a purpose, and that purpose is not transparency. I will believe expansion will happen when it happens, I will believe an invite to another league will happen when it happens. Both are legitimate possibilities the likelihood of each probably no one knows. To speculate on anything, including Big 10/Pac12 invites, is not the same as believing in pixie dust. What should be going on now is the 8 Big 12 teams should be positioning themselves for a court case to collect the damages potentially owed them from how Texas and Oklahoma admittedly broke the current contract through secretive contacts with the SEC and ESPN. A possible settlement being the soft landing spot. If networks want to work things out for the 8, and are willing to put up the money. The conferences will agree. Conversely ESPN could put up enough money to keep the conference viable in a long term contract to avoid litigation. Or ISU is hosed. Who knows.

May 7, 2020
Big 12 expansion still may be only a short-term event, you know. If you think you know what the college football landscape with look like in 5 years and 10 years, then please put that on the record.

Also, I believe that you are engaging in mischaracterization or conflation or both in how you are describing other people's comments (which would not be out of the ordinary given your posting history).
I agree that 5 years from now everything could look totally different. I’m sure there will be some agreement put in place to ensure some form of stability, but there are never any guarantees obviously. I was more commenting on how insulting people can be when you are trying to be realistic about the situation. Sure I would’ve loved to be in the Big 10, but right now it doesn’t appear realistic. So let’s focus on the realistic best possible scenarios. Not sure why that offends people so much???

Reactions: Tornado man

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Only the folks trying to be "realistic" really hold the opinion that the Big 12 will expand next week (if the G6 schools will have them) and list their schools. The truth is no one including insiders and the institutions themselves both Big 12 and others truly know what is going to happen. All public statements are made for a purpose, and that purpose is not transparency. I will believe expansion will happen when it happens, I will believe an invite to another league will happen when it happens. Both are legitimate possibilities the likelihood of each probably no one knows. To speculate on anything, including Big 10/Pac12 invites, is not the same as believing in pixie dust. What should be going on now is the 8 Big 12 teams should be positioning themselves for a court case to collect the damages potentially owed them from how Texas and Oklahoma admittedly broke the current contract through secretive contacts with the SEC and ESPN. A possible settlement being the soft landing spot. If networks want to work things out for the 8, and are willing to put up the money. The conferences will agree. Conversely ESPN could put up enough money to keep the conference viable in a long term contract to avoid litigation. Or ISU is hosed. Who knows.

Wow. You are so irrational. Haven’t you heard the Big 12 is announcing expansion tomorrow? Damn whatever the outcome of any lawsuits and/or settlements may be. It’s time to accept reality, bud.

:jimlad:

• Haha
Reactions: Cyclones1969

Thorongil Clone

Gone to Numenor
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2021
I agree that 5 years from now everything could look totally different. I’m sure there will be some agreement put in place to ensure some form of stability, but there are never any guarantees obviously. I was more commenting on how insulting people can be when you are trying to be realistic about the situation. Sure I would’ve loved to be in the Big 10, but right now it doesn’t appear realistic. So let’s focus on the realistic best possible scenarios. Not sure why that offends people so much???
More than likely it was just your winning personality. ;)

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Until UT/OU blink and pull out after the season. Probably for a reduced buyout, but once they bolt and the schools with landing spots get paid it will all go down.

You guys still can't see the forest through the trees on this.

I absolutely think you're lying and have no clue, but I will tip my cap to you for putting a date and time on it. I guess we'll know by this time next year.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I will say this - if the ADs weren't at least satisfied with whatever they're being told about $$$ in the new Big 12, they wouldn't be moving this quickly. It seems like the decision to add these four schools in particular is happening faster than most people thought, and certainly faster than it would need to. If the $$$ was looking bad, I think we would be slowing down and trying to figure out a better plan, but I'm guessing we will be at least OK with where we end up financially since we are locking and loading on this plan in September.

Satisfied or at least maximizing revenue. This could be a bad situation and this is the best of the bad options.

I hope you're right. I can't imagine any additions weren't run by broadcast partners to talk about the potential value. There has to be some sort of expectation the Big 8 has here.

Frankly I'm pretty OK with the 4 adds if this is the best possible solution. If our other choice is some kind of AAC then.... I don't even want to think about it.

• Agree
Reactions: cyIclSoneU

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Wow. You are so irrational. Haven’t you heard the Big 12 is announcing expansion tomorrow? Damn whatever the outcome of any lawsuits and/or settlements may be. It’s time to accept reality, bud.:jimlad:
Are you still of the opinion no one is coming to the big 12 until the OuT settlement is finalized?

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
One thing that is possible, as long as there is no GOR extension at this point, there is a very likely outcome of this.
The PAC knows it has to do something maybe not today, but by the time their contract is up.
The ACC is in a similar predicament in order to reopen their contract.
The B1G will want to be able to match the others at least in size to claim they have equal value as well for seeding of the playoff.

So yeah the Big 12 may add a few teams right now, "to continue the viability" of the conference. Great.

We announce we are adding 4 teams when OU and UT leave. This maintains the conference. And increases it to 12. -- Big 12 still exists, and is still a major conference although probably sitting where the Pac is now.

Next the settlement is made and UT and OU officially have their exit agreement done.
PAC invites TT and OSU -- Big 12 invites 2 more schools, Still remains a conference
ACC Invites WVU -- Big 12 invites another, Still remains
B1G invites ISU and KU -- Big 12 invites more schools to remain at 12 or go bigger, still remaining, still allowing anyone not invited to remain and inviting their chosen best G5 schools to create the best conference possible with those available.

This allows the Big 12 to add the best schools from all the G5 in hopes to retain a power status. Maybe the lowest of the P5 but still better than the rest of the G5.

I can't see anyone willing to sign a GOR with the Big 12 at this point anymore. It is going to be the conference everyone picks apart from now on.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
UCF doesn't actually have "homers". They are in the American. Reported.
It's going to take the mods forever to sort through all this paperwork for these reports.
giphy.gif

Jeh

Dec 16, 2013
If we were taking teams from the MWC or MAC, it would be harder to maintain P5 status, but we are weakening the AAC in the process of expanding, which will maintain enough separation to make the distinction clear, assuming it is a binary one.

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
I absolutely think you're lying and have no clue, but I will tip my cap to you for putting a date and time on it. I guess we'll know by this time next year.
We will. And this time next year you’ll be playing us in a conference game.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron