IOWA STATE TO BIG TEN?!? Dave Wannstedt thinks so.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
I have a really hard time seeing these teams coming into the Big 12 in 2023 and then half the current Big 12 teams announcing they're leaving the conference that same year.

They can't come to a conference that won't exist in 2023.

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
unless JP has already heard from the Big 10 and PAC 12 that they wouldn’t accept any refugees from the Big 12, this move is unfortunate. This is not a recipe for a healthy Big 12, if there is such a thing. You are adding 4 mid majors with less than average fan support, more partners to share diminished revenues with. We have to jump ship at first possible chance if there is any other P5 conference looking to expand.

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
On the other hand, do you think the PAC 12 is regretting their decision to not expand right now? They had a chance to eat up the few remaining large fan bases and tv viewership in the country and it seems now that they missed out if the rest of the Big 12 is digging their heels in.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
unless JP has already heard from the Big 10 and PAC 12 that they wouldn’t accept any refugees from the Big 12, this move is unfortunate. This is not a recipe for a healthy Big 12, if there is such a thing. You are adding 4 mid majors with less than average fan support, more partners to share diminished revenues with. We have to jump ship at first possible chance if there is any other P5 conference looking to expand.
Didn't BYU out draw us in 2019?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Getting paid like one is all that matters.

From a football perspective BYU, UCF, Cincinnati, Houston, ISU (Yes. The Fighting Cyclones), KSU, OSU, TCU, WVU have all had recent success on the field.

The Bearcats gave Georgia all they could handle.

Get a good TV/marketing partner and this looks like a fun league to watch.

I say start the marketing with a pirate flag and a middle finger to the SEC.

It could take some wins, but this still looks P5 to me.

Doesn't Mike Leach own the rights to the pirate flag in FB? ;)

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
On the other hand, do you think the PAC 12 is regretting their decision to not expand right now? They had a chance to eat up the few remaining large fan bases and tv viewership in the country and it seems now that they missed out if the rest of the Big 12 is digging their heels in.

They have time.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
So you don't think there will be any announcement next week about invites and accepted new universities?

They very well could announce that nonsense next week, but doesn't mean it will actually come to fruition. The B12 is on the same path as the Big East, it's done for.

• Agree

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
The local UCF homers here in Orlando think a Big 12 invite is suspect as hell at this point and they're the ones begging for an invite.
I'd rather have U.A.B. anyway. The SEC Home Office is literally just down the street from the U.A.B. Campus and the new stadium.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Watching the VT and UNC game and they were talking about Houston and UCF joining the conference, the color guy said he was surprised and thought it was a lateral move from the AAC. Now how in the hell is moving from a G5 conference to a P5 conference a lateral move? He thought that Houston should hold out for a Pac 12 invite, because they are located in Houston.
He forgot to add in that Houston averaged a little over 25K a year in attendence in 2019 and was in the red about 33 million from the university.
You are wathing an ESPN Game.
*Reported!*
/ sarcasm

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
For the life of me I cannot understand why these schools would want to jump at an invitation to the B12. It's the equivalent of leasing an apartment in a building that is currently on fire.
Or pooping on a toilet that’s over halfway through flushing

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
For the life of me I cannot understand why these schools would want to jump at an invitation to the B12. It's the equivalent of leasing an apartment in a building that is currently on fire.

Well I'm guessing the new members' leaders are probably saying something to the Big 12 presidents and ADs along the lines of ... 'hey, seems to be some stuff happening, are you guys really committed to this conference moving ahead?'. If Big 12 schools bring them in now only to bail out in a few years, that'd be a pretty bad look.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
You are wathing an ESPN Game.
*Reported!*
/ sarcasm
Good thing I am going to our game tomorrow and not streaming on ESPN+!

If the conference really does expand with these four teams, its a loser move if that is all we get. No way that the money is going to be there by adding these four teams.

I was listening to the Big 12 channel this morning on the radio and the guest thought it was a mistake by the Pac 12 not adding at least four teams to get into the Central time zone.

Good thing we have plenty of time to get through this, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Well I'm guessing the new members' leaders are probably saying something to the Big 12 presidents and ADs along the lines of ... 'hey, seems to be some stuff happening, are you guys really committed to this conference moving ahead?'. If Big 12 schools bring them in now only to bail out in a few years, that'd be a pretty bad look.

As they should be, it's not a secret that all 8 members are currently trying to get out as soon as they get their lawsuit money.

I highly, highly doubt any of the current B12 schools would give a singular **** on how it would look if they just up and bailed.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Good thing I am going to our game tomorrow and not streaming on ESPN+!

If the conference really does expand with these four teams, its a loser move if that is all we get. No way that the money is going to be there by adding these four teams.

I was listening to the Big 12 channel this morning on the radio and the guest thought it was a mistake by the Pac 12 not adding at least four teams to get into the Central time zone.

Good thing we have plenty of time to get through this, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
The thing is we cannot force the Pac-12 or anybody else to invite ISU or any of the other teams if they do not want to do so. In the absence of that, I am okay with the rumored expansion. I'd rather ISU be invited to the B1G, but...looking reality in the face! Pac is being foolish, but it's not big loss. They wll eventually die on the vine and no longer be in play. At least the Big Xii is picking the stronger teams from the AAC + BYU (which I 100% support). In the mean-time, no ESPN (unless Iowa State is playing).

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I'd rather have U.A.B. anyway. The SEC Home Office is literally just down the street from the U.A.B. Campus and the new stadium.
I have NEVER encountered more obnoxious, unlikeable fans than the UAB ones at a BB tournament in the Niang years. What contemptible human beings. Keep in mind that I live between NY and Philly -- I know some abrasive fans.

I don't even care that they beat us in hoops the year before or that UAB is a significant research university, especially in medical areas. Those people were absolutely disgusting human beings. I'd rather have the conference fold than be in a league with UAB.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
The panic some are exhibiting here is borderline hilarious. The Big 12 will continue to exist and will add four teams...very soon. A new contract will be issued in which teams get somewhere in the 25-30 million range for TV rights. There will be no new GOR, as a few teams have options they will be exercising...at a later date...and so will not bind themselves. The new teams are coming....and are ecstatic about it. Nobody is going to hold out on coming to the Big 12 and demand we sign a new GOR...ain't happening.