Iowa State vs Iowa Rivalry

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
I built the structure for one heck of a mash up for Iowa and ISU fight song in my head.

Here is how you transition:

The word is fight, fight, fight for Iowa
Let every loyal Iowan sing
Oh, we will fight with might for Iowa State
With the will to do or die!

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
I have never rooted for the hoks.

I despise them and their fan base with all of my being. I hate the Big 10, I hate everything even remotely associated with the toe.

A fun game my 11 year-old son and I play is that anytime we see some loser wearing a hok shirt here in Texas where we live, we heckle them. If we’re not wearing Cyclone gear, we’ll go up to them and in our best southern drawl and say, ‘your logo, that’s iowa right?’. Their lowly wearer of hok gear gets a little smile on his face and replies, ‘why, yes, yes it is’. Then we drop the bottom out and say, ‘welcome to Texas, we are happy to have Buckeye fans down here anytime’.

hoks suck. There is no other way. I hope they lose every game in every competition every single time.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Honestly I don't have a problem rooting for them most of the time. I wasn't disappointed to see them lose on Thursday because frankly I didn't expect ISU to win yesterday, and my kids were talking about how they hate going to school when ISU loses because everybody talks to them about it.

Nococy

Jan 10, 2021
Fort Collins Co
Living out of state I just tend to ignore them unless I somehow hear or see them losing then I will try to find their game and watch them so I can enjoy their misery:)

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
I was born a Cyclone fan and was indifferent to them as a kid in the 50’s. That was their glory years under Evy. Then they went into the darkness until Fry & his big mouth & attitude showed up. He was a psychologist & stressed it’s a Hawkeye State after each year’s administered ass kicking. That’s when my hate became established & Hok fans became unsufferably obnoxious. Fry became the leader of the Garbage Truck/Trailer Park/Walmart alumni. We travel a lot and it has always amazed me no matter where we go in the US or off shore we will eventually see an a-hole decked out in Hok garb. I hate Iowa & am proud that my children inherited the gene.

Reactions: Mr.G.Spot and NWICY

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
This thread may be beating a dead horse , let me know if so.

I am so sick of this Iowa State vs Iowa rivalry. We both pretend to cheer for each other when we’re not playing each other.. both sides know that’s not true. Can both of our fan bases start to treat this like an actual rivalry? I want every Iowa fan in our mentions when we lose. I want every Iowa State fan to chirp Iowa in regards to Richmond. Is this just a me problem? It feels like we are gaslighting each other at all times.
I’ve lived in Iowa for 40 years and I don’t know what the hell you are talking about. I don’t know people who pretend to cheer for the other. I do know a small few who actually do but none that pretend.

• Disagree
Reactions: VeloClone

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
The only way I'd ever consider not rooting for whoever is playing eiu is if they're playing ku. I'm not sure what I'd do in a case like that.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I’ve lived in Iowa for 40 years and I don’t know what the hell you are talking about. I don’t know people who pretend to cheer for the other. I do know a small few who actually do but none that pretend.
You need to come to the in-laws family Thanksgiving. The wife's uncles constantly talk about ISU and how they cheer for them when they aren't playing "the hawks" but they do a piss poor job veiling the condensention.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Tim Dwight told me that he cheers for ISU when they aren’t playing Iowa. I’m pretty sure it was lip service and I think that is what he means. Some people say they do but they don’t actually.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Tim Dwight told me that he cheers for ISU when they aren’t playing Iowa. I’m pretty sure it was lip service and I think that is what he means. Some people say they do but they don’t actually.
I know Tim in passing, as his niece and nephews went to school with my children, K-12. His extended family is “close” and his older sister graduated from ISU, as did her husband. I believe him…

Cdiedrick

Jun 26, 2014
This thread may be beating a dead horse , let me know if so.

I am so sick of this Iowa State vs Iowa rivalry. We both pretend to cheer for each other when we’re not playing each other.. both sides know that’s not true. Can both of our fan bases start to treat this like an actual rivalry? I want every Iowa fan in our mentions when we lose. I want every Iowa State fan to chirp Iowa in regards to Richmond. Is this just a me problem? It feels like we are gaslighting each other at all times.
**** em