Iowa State vs Iowa Rivalry

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
AMEN! I have always despised how the non Ag school IOWA decided to promote Ag as one of their most important social and economic concerns in the state and the midwest when they don' t even offer an agriculture based education program. The use of ANF continued after the Hayden year of the farm crisis in the 80's. They were trying to show support in tough times in the midwest.,.......apparenlty they didn't mind the perception and interest it got from agriculture....however, it worked so well they kept on with it to this day. WTF do they care or have to do with promoting, investing in, developing agriculture and finding ways to help farmers, ag industry and markets?
Hayden Fry was a ****, but he was smart in a lot of things. ANF wasn't about the farm crisis, that was a pretext. It was about getting all of the unaffiliated farmers in Iowa to become hawkeye fans. He also understood that he should keep his foot on State's neck every time they played so he could lock down recruiting and fandom in the state. And it worked for about 15 years. We still are experiencing residual effects from that as there are a lot of legacy hawkeye fans who are just fans of the programs because their parents were. ISU is making inroads but it takes a lot of time.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Hayden Fry was a ****, but he was smart in a lot of things. ANF wasn't about the farm crisis, that was a pretext. It was about getting all of the unaffiliated farmers in Iowa to become hawkeye fans. He also understood that he should keep his foot on State's neck every time they played so he could lock down recruiting and fandom in the state. And it worked for about 15 years. We still are experiencing residual effects from that as there are a lot of legacy hawkeye fans who are just fans of the programs because their parents were. ISU is making inroads but it takes a lot of time.
Throwing a deep ball every play when you're up 40 in the 4th quarter will get you that rep.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I honestly don't give that much of a **** about Iowa. The Hawk fans in my life just aren't tools about the rivalry.

There was a time in the not so distant past when this wasn't true. When I was in Des Moines I worked with some of the most obnoxious and annoying Hawk fans possible. The kind that went to UNI and refer to Iowa as "we". The kind that thought it was funny to say "how did the Clowns do last weekend? I didn't even watch". The absolute ******* worst.

Now that I live in a corner of the state, the mood is much more "I'm a Hawkeye fan, but I'll root for the Clones when they aren't playing Iowa" and it's honestly not a put on. I'm not subjected to dumb jokes about Clowns and Lames, pot shots at the actual university from people who didn't attend Iowa, or inane prattling about the superiority of the Big 10. I see that out on message boards and Twitter, but I'm not subjected to it in real life.

It's really tough for me to hate Iowa when the Iowa fans I'm around don't hate Iowa State. I still get a chuckle out of Iowa's misery, but more in a "down here we all float" kind of way. I definitely don't get irritated when they win.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
My cousin is a big Hawkeye fan. Last winter, he was in Iowa city for a basketball game. He stopped at a restaurant to have dinner before the game, and left his two tickets on the seat in his car.
When he came back out, he saw that someone had broken into his vehicle, smashed the window, and left him 4 more tickets!

Bunch of savages over there, I tell you.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I cheer for Nebraska when they play Iowa, FK IOWA

I cheer for Iowa in that game. I hope Nebraska loses every game they ever play until the end of the time. **** them. They're the single biggest reason **** went sideways in the Big 12. If they had committed to staying, I'm not sure we lose we anyone other than CU who might have balked on the Pac 12.

• Winner
Reactions: Lineup

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I cheer for Iowa in that game. I hope Nebraska loses every game they ever play until the end of the time. **** them. They're the single biggest reason **** went sideways in the Big 12. If they had committed to staying, I'm not sure we lose we anyone other than CU who might have balked on the Pac 12.
I root for the meteor.

Sorry, @Cyclones_R_GR8, seek cover.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
The rivalry is great I think. General rule of thumb though is to keep your head down, dont speak to other fan base about anything related unless it is positive. Like I was talking to a Hawkeye fan about how great they were after they beat Penn St last year, then they lost to Purdue, it worked perfectly. Being an anti-fan you have to have safeguards in place, you are just a tinge happy if they lose, but if they win whatever no big deal. Just have fun with it.

And have multiple teams you are an anti fan of, dont just put all your eggs in one basket. Nebraska is great for that purpose because they have came through way more than Iowa lately.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
One element of the rivaly is the fans that want annhiliation of the other program, Iowa fans have had this inclination, its sickening and a sign of mental illness that needs professional help. There would be a void if Iowa wasnt here, and Nebraska wasnt here, the more the merrier on college sports.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Is Hawkize the one who actually ran track for UNI?

One of those real obnoxious Hawkeye Twitter people was an actual UNI athlete. My wife recognized his name (she ran track at UNI in kind of the same time window) and said he was a douche back then. Would wear Iowa gear to actual UNI practices and **** like that. I think the guy's name was Mike Stout or something like that.

This is why I use my real name on Twitter and try not to say things I wouldn't stand behind in real life.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Is Hawkize the one who actually ran track for UNI?

One of those real obnoxious Hawkeye Twitter people was an actual UNI athlete. My wife recognized his name (she ran track at UNI in kind of the same time window) and said he was a douche back then. Would wear Iowa gear to actual UNI practices and **** like that. I think the guy's name was Mike Stout or something like that.

This is why I use my real name on Twitter and try not to say things I wouldn't stand behind in real life.
Correct.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yeah, I remember bringing this up when it happened. She was practically cackling when I said who it was.

The Hawk fans I hate the most aren't people who went to Iowa, or people who didn't go to college at all and picked Iowa as their team. It's people who went to UNI but worship Iowa. Like Mark Farley.