Iowa State vs Iowa Rivalry

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Q: Why do University of Iowa graduates hang their diplomas on their rear view mirror?
A: So they can park in the handicap spaces.

Q: How many Hawkeyes does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: One, but 10 are awarded credit for it.

Q: What do you call a Hawkeye cheerleader on a hang glider?
A: An eclipse.

I'm here all night folks.

Last edited:

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Yeah, I remember bringing this up when it happened. She was practically cackling when I said who it was.

The Hawk fans I hate the most aren't people who went to Iowa, or people who didn't go to college at all and picked Iowa as their team. It's people who went to UNI but worship Iowa. Like Mark Farley.
He's obnoxious and definitely can't take it despite dishing it out. He spends most of his time on Twitter trying to troll other fanbases and ballwash Iowa Athletics despite being married with kids and having an important job.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
He's obnoxious and definitely can't take it despite dishing it out. He spends most of his time on Twitter trying to troll other fanbases and ballwash Iowa Athletics despite being married with kids and having an important job.
And to make it all that much worse, he has actually competed AGAINST the University of Iowa in D1 athletics. And he still washes their balls. I think there's a term for this that rhymes with "duck".

Reactions: GMackey32

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
And to make it all that much worse, he has actually competed AGAINST the University of Iowa in D1 athletics. And he still washes their balls. I think there's a term for this that rhymes with "duck".
If I had the opportunity to run of a D1 program that wasn't Iowa State, I would have converted to being a fan of whatever school I was competing for despite growing up an Iowa State fan.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
This thread may be beating a dead horse , let me know if so.

I am so sick of this Iowa State vs Iowa rivalry. We both pretend to cheer for each other when we’re not playing each other.. both sides know that’s not true. Can both of our fan bases start to treat this like an actual rivalry? I want every Iowa fan in our mentions when we lose. I want every Iowa State fan to chirp Iowa in regards to Richmond. Is this just a me problem? It feels like we are gaslighting each other at all times.

Count me out as pretending to cheer for the Hawks. Even in a room full of Hawk fans I will not cheer for them. Ever. EVER.

• Agree
Reactions: cytor and CYCLNST8

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I grew up a Hawkeye fan because my whole family are Hawkeye fans and they were the dominant team in the state during my impressionable years. I don't have any hate towards ISU, but do want Iowa to stay on top because well I'm a fan.

The football rivalry started when Dan McCarney got to ISU. Before that, I didn't even know they played for the Cy-Hawk trophy. I never remember it being a story or the players hoisting it as they ran off the field. First time I ever saw it was in 1998.

The basketball rivalry started with Orr and Davis in the mid 80s. Those were some great games. I feel like Iowa was better in the 80s and ISU has been better ever since.

Wrestling rivalry in the 80s was awesome especially with Iowa winning all those titles and ISU denying Iowa a 10th straight title in 1987. Since then, it has been all Iowa.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I grew up a Hawkeye fan because my whole family are Hawkeye fans and they were the dominant team in the state during my impressionable years. I don't have any hate towards ISU, but do want Iowa to stay on top because well I'm a fan.

The football rivalry started when Dan McCarney got to ISU. Before that, I didn't even know they played for the Cy-Hawk trophy. I never remember it being a story or the players hoisting it as they ran off the field. First time I ever saw it was in 1998.

The basketball rivalry started with Orr and Davis in the mid 80s. Those were some great games. I feel like Iowa was better in the 80s and ISU has been better ever since.

Wrestling rivalry in the 80s was awesome especially with Iowa winning all those titles and ISU denying Iowa a 10th straight title in 1987. Since then, it has been all Iowa.
It was a big deal to the Iowa team during Fry's entire tenure. Hayden had it circled on the calendar and made sure that his team was foaming at the mouth to put the instate rival in their place. And as already mentioned he was not shy about absolutely blowing out ISU whenever he could to make sure he was keeping the Cyclones down. It wasn't an up by 17 in the fourth quarter so we are calling off the dogs type of game.

As far as wrestling goes, right before the Iowa run in the late 70's to late 80's State won 6 National titles from 1965 to 1977. There was a reason Iowa plucked a Cyclone to build their program.

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County
Q: Why do University of Iowa graduates hang their diplomas on their rear view mirror?
A: So they can park in the handicap spaces.

Q: How many Hawkeyes does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: One, but 10 are awarded credit for it.

Q: What do you call a Hawkeye cheerleader on a hang glidder?
A: An eclipse.

I'm here all night folks.

I worked with a guy that told this same joke to our whole site with ISU in place of UofI. He was an Iowa State grad trying to kiss the ass of our Iowa grad boss.

I couldn't stand that ass kissing bastard.

• Dislike
Reactions: VeloClone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I started actually understanding sports and ISU fandom when I was 5 (2000), so through the 2000's I got to see ISU win quite a bit against Iowa in basketball and football (not a wrestling fan). A few years ago I remember looking at the rival records in those two sports since '99 I believe and it was a damn near split. Now, Iowa's like +6 er something in football since then and that essentially is because we've failed to beat them since '14. But for me, I haven't grown up in a world where Iowa "dominates" ISU in athletics.

Outside of wrestling (and that gap is slowly closing), ISU and Iowa have been extremely competitive. Anyone thinking otherwise is truly living in the past.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
It was a big deal to the Iowa team during Fry's entire tenure. Hayden had it circled on the calendar and made sure that his team was foaming at the mouth to put the instate rival in their place. And as already mentioned he was not shy about absolutely blowing out ISU whenever he could to make sure he was keeping the Cyclones down. It wasn't an up by 17 in the fourth quarter so we are calling off the dogs type of game.

As far as wrestling goes, right before the Iowa run in the late 70's to late 80's State won 6 National titles from 1965 to 1977. There was a reason Iowa plucked a Cyclone to build their program.
I feel Hayden also had way superior teams during those times. I don't think motivation levels would have changed much during those blowouts.

ISU wrestling in the 60s and 70s was before my time. I'm very happy Iowa got Gable. Crazy that he is now more remembered as a wrestling coach and a Hawk because of how great of a wrestler he was for the sport, ISU and America.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

It was a rivalry far before '98. Give me a break with the troll job.

Iowa wouldn't even play ISU in football unless it was a home and home series.

Hayden played the big fish/small pond card to perfection. It was a rivalry; it was just a foregone conclusion that Iowa was dominating it since ISU was generally bad and Iowa was decent.

I'd guess Bielema didn't directly put down head coaches regularly like he did Walden.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Yeah, I remember bringing this up when it happened. She was practically cackling when I said who it was.

The Hawk fans I hate the most aren't people who went to Iowa, or people who didn't go to college at all and picked Iowa as their team. It's people who went to UNI but worship Iowa. Like Mark Farley.
Mark Farley?

He grew up a Minnesota fan, his mom was an alum. He's a million times more complimentary of Iowa State than he is Iowa. Kirk also lied to him after the UNI game in Iowa City was canceled due to COVID. Kirk told him they weren't going to reschedule because he wasn't playing FCS teams anymore and then turned around and scheduled South Dakota State and Illinois State.

• Informative
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Mark Farley?

He grew up a Minnesota fan, his mom was an alum. He's a million times more complimentary of Iowa State than he is Iowa. Kirk also lied to him after the UNI game in Iowa City was canceled due to COVID. Kirk told him they weren't going to reschedule because he wasn't playing FCS teams anymore and then turned around and scheduled South Dakota State and Illinois State.

Iowa and the B1G weren't going to schedule FCS teams anymore, it wasn't a lie. I'm not sure why that changed but maybe it was when the B1G went to a 9 game conference slate.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: GoHawks

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Mark Farley?

Not debating anything you say about Farleys preference but Kirk lying seems harsh. The Illinois State game was scheduled in 2018 and SDSU likely sooner. I don't think Iowa is scheduling fcs teams going forward

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Not debating anything you say about Farleys preference but Kirk lying seems harsh. The Illinois State game was scheduled in 2018 and SDSU likely sooner. I don't think Iowa is scheduling fcs teams going forward
Must have been a misunderstanding and, of course, I haven't heard it from the Iowa side. Mark thought they had a date for 2026 to make the 2020 game up and they didn't.

I wish UNI would stop playing Iowa and Iowa State altogether but when you have zero travel costs and get to keep more of the guarantee, it makes a bunch of sense. Better than the Air Force and Hawaii games on the books...

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum