Is ISU going to tear down the Armory?

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I think enrollment helps tell the story of why they changed plans on demolishing more of the dorm halls.

Martin and Eaton were opened in 2003 and 2004, then Storm and Knapp were knocked down in 2005. This happened right as enrollment dipped, 2006 being the lowest enrollment this century at 25.4k. What followed was a steady growth with enrollment ballooning to 36.6k in 2016. I would imagine Geoffroy and the administration were targeting enrollment growth and decided to delay demolishing more housing until new dorms were constructed to accommodate the growth. Plus the '08 financial crash probably put a damper on any plans to develop the Towers area further.

Once Leath took over, he was hyper focused on growing the enrollment despite there not being enough housing on campus. Since the peak Geoffroy hall has opened for more housing, and enrollment dropped back to 30.7k last year, so it wouldn't shock me if they explore closing up Towers again in the future. Or finally finish demolishing Helser.
Both of the remaining Towers buildings closed due to Covid, and only Wallace has since opened back up, which was this year. Both of them just got done being renovated apparently, Wallace more recently, where they had the asbestos removed, new windows, new flooring, new elevators etc.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm not sure I ever actually went in the Armory in college.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
I think enrollment helps tell the story of why they changed plans on demolishing more of the dorm halls.

Martin and Eaton were opened in 2003 and 2004, then Storm and Knapp were knocked down in 2005. This happened right as enrollment dipped, 2006 being the lowest enrollment this century at 25.4k. What followed was a steady growth with enrollment ballooning to 36.6k in 2016. I would imagine Geoffroy and the administration were targeting enrollment growth and decided to delay demolishing more housing until new dorms were constructed to accommodate the growth. Plus the '08 financial crash probably put a damper on any plans to develop the Towers area further.

Once Leath took over, he was hyper focused on growing the enrollment despite there not being enough housing on campus. Since the peak Geoffroy hall has opened for more housing, and enrollment dropped back to 30.7k last year, so it wouldn't shock me if they explore closing up Towers again in the future. Or finally finish demolishing Helser.
Where is Geoffrey Hall?

I didn’t realize Helser was partially demoed? I simply thought it was added onto to result in the current building. Is the current building not referred to as Helser?

Note - I haven’t been on main campus in 20+ Yrs and resided in Helser in my day. Plenty of jogs around the old track of CWF when I lived in Helser.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Where is Geoffrey Hall?

I didn’t realize Helser was partially demoed? I simply thought it was added onto to result in the current building. Is the current building not referred to as Helser?

Note - I haven’t been on main campus in 20+ Yrs and resided in Helser in my day. Plenty of jogs around the old track of CWF when I lived in Helser.

IIRC, the big UDA dining center was built on the footprint of what used to be the northernmost part of Helser Hall. I was one of the last people to live in that part of Helser that no longer exists.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Looks like the Design Building is going to get an enormous addition. Bet it won't be called the Design Building any longer after that's done.
It depends. Maybe the Dr and Mrs Fred & Betty Design Trust is donating money for it.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Where is Geoffrey Hall?

Geoffroy is next to Buchanan on the south side of Lincoln Ave. It right across from the Knoll/BWR.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
IIRC, the big UDA dining center was built on the footprint of what used to be the northernmost part of Helser Hall. I was one of the last people to live in that part of Helser that no longer exists.

Correct.

I was in Helser in 03-04. I remember when they cancelled everyone's contracts that were planning on living there for 04-05, and telling residents they were planning on knocking it down eventually.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I had a class in the basement of Ross over 30 years ago. I can't think of a more depressing place in all of campus than that floor.
I actually dropped a class and rescheduled it elsewhere for this reason. I legitimately couldn't focus on anything down there and it was a subject I struggled with already. Also it was always 150 degrees.

Reactions: DFWClone

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I'm not sure I ever actually went in the Armory in college.
Before State was renovated, I played pick up basketball games there on occasion. The floor was slick as hell though and one play I fell and slid knee first into one of the posts holding up the balcony. Gashed the hell out of my knee.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron