Is ISU going to tear down the Armory?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I had a class in the basement of Ross over 30 years ago. I can't think of a more depressing place in all of campus than that floor.

Hater. That basement is a sanctuary. Took my best naps in 20th century Sino history down there.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Five plus years at ISU and I don't think I ever had a big lecture at McKay. I had LeBaron, Lush(Kildee), Gilman, Physics, Curtiss, Coover that I can remember right off the top of my head. I don't think I had anything at McKay's big room nor Design or Carver. I think all my Carver classes were just in smaller classrooms. I never had a class in Design but worked for a time in the slide library there. They lost their slide library curator while I was there so young Velo, a brand new work study guy was running the place for a while. The Dean even checked in on me to make sure I was doing okay. I imagine with technology today the need for a library of art, design, architecture, etc. slides has gone the way of the dodo. I learned a lot in that job though.
How about food science? That lecture hall rivaled Lebaron for having HVAC connected to hell.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Ballpark, what would it cost to renovate the Armory back to host Olympic sports?

Reactions: CyNews

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think enrollment helps tell the story of why they changed plans on demolishing more of the dorm halls.

Martin and Eaton were opened in 2003 and 2004, then Storm and Knapp were knocked down in 2005. This happened right as enrollment dipped, 2006 being the lowest enrollment this century at 25.4k. What followed was a steady growth with enrollment ballooning to 36.6k in 2016. I would imagine Geoffroy and the administration were targeting enrollment growth and decided to delay demolishing more housing until new dorms were constructed to accommodate the growth. Plus the '08 financial crash probably put a damper on any plans to develop the Towers area further.

Once Leath took over, he was hyper focused on growing the enrollment despite there not being enough housing on campus. Since the peak Geoffroy hall has opened for more housing, and enrollment dropped back to 30.7k last year, so it wouldn't shock me if they explore closing up Towers again in the future. Or finally finish demolishing Helser.
Towers is closed. What was there is now what Oak/Elm is is what my daughter told me.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
My multi-quotes aren't working, but overall, suggestions to:
- renovate Pearson but tear down the lovely Student Services Building?
- 'replace' the wonderful courtyard/cloister area 'inside' the north half of Lagomarcino?
- keep f-ing Helser but close Oak-Elm? Why wouldn't you get as many as possible in Old RCA? Dorms that "look like" dorms, with multiple lawn/courtyards, etc. The cozy Oak-Elm 'Conversations' dining center with windows to College Creek Vs. the dungeon inside MWL, or the huge crowded UDA dining? Who are these people?!?

I can see the point of more space - SSB as a lecture hall vs admin, etc, and harsh reality of just older structure of Lago vs newer Pearson, but still, some of these are beautiful buildings - brick, trim, symmetry vs random forgettable glass with some steel supports - that will never be recreated.

Last edited:
Reactions: VeloClone

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
Hater. That basement is a sanctuary. Took my best naps in 20th century Sino history down there.
There was nothing worse than managing the Ross computer labs on a Friday afternoon, knowing you were literally the only person in the building except for that one A-hole who feels it necessary to work on an English term paper. Get out so I can lock up already!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron