Is ISU going to tear down the Armory?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I guess I was never in Town, but I spent a lot of time in Science 1 and it was a real **** hole. Not surprised the plan is to tear it down.
I've heard there are a couple of nooks in Science 1 that are perfect to smoke a quick bowl between classes.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I guess I was never in Town, but I spent a lot of time in Science 1 and it was a real **** hole. Not surprised the plan is to tear it down.
Town is a building that was clearly designed by an engineer and not an architect. I say that as a civil engineer myself. It's a box with a hallway that goes all the way around each level. The bathrooms are very visible. In other words, it's very functional. But it's ugly as hell.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Town is a building that was clearly designed by an engineer and not an architect. I say that as a civil engineer myself. It's a box with a hallway that goes all the way around each level. The bathrooms are very visible. In other words, it's very functional. But it's ugly as hell.
I had a statistics lab in there. Loved the building layout mainly because I'm all about functionality.

Reactions: aauummm

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm so happy that Mackay is getting renovated in a few years....as a human sciences alum, it needs it bad...although the main lecture hall in Mackay is one of the best on campus even though I'm biased
Five plus years at ISU and I don't think I ever had a big lecture at McKay. I had LeBaron, Lush(Kildee), Gilman, Physics, Curtiss, Coover that I can remember right off the top of my head. I don't think I had anything at McKay's big room nor Design or Carver. I think all my Carver classes were just in smaller classrooms. I never had a class in Design but worked for a time in the slide library there. They lost their slide library curator while I was there so young Velo, a brand new work study guy was running the place for a while. The Dean even checked in on me to make sure I was doing okay. I imagine with technology today the need for a library of art, design, architecture, etc. slides has gone the way of the dodo. I learned a lot in that job though.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Sounds similar to Science 1, except for some reason they put a courtyard in the middle of it that was completely surrounded by the building. No one could access it while I was their because it had one access through a door in a professors office.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Five plus years at ISU and I don't think I ever had a big lecture at McKay. I had LeBaron, Lush(Kildee), Gilman, Physics, Curtiss, Coover that I can remember right off the top of my head. I don't think I had anything at McKay's big room nor Design or Carver. I think all my Carver classes were just in smaller classrooms. I never had a class in Design but worked for a time in the slide library there. They lost their slide library curator while I was there so young Velo, a brand new work study guy was running the place for a while. The Dean even checked in on me to make sure I was doing okay. I imagine with technology today the need for a library of art, design, architecture, etc. slides has gone the way of the dodo. I learned a lot in that job though.

I'd bet that job is still there. Someone has to take care of the stuff, and schools/organizations are sloooooow to digitize.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'd bet that job is still there. Someone has to take care of the stuff, and schools/organizations are sloooooow to digitize.
True, but I imagine the vast majority of the images can be found on the interwebs. I doubt many - if any - of the professors use slide images but rather some sort of power point for their lectures.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
As long as they don't touch the best building on campus...Agronomy Hall. It had that cool courtyard that us agronomy students enjoyed, and also the nicest bathrooms on campus.

Reactions: ImJustKCClone

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
The key doesn't make sense to me. For example, the light yellow "planned projects" include the East half of Coover and all of Atanasoff. Does that mean they are tearing those down and rebuilding them?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Will be interesting to see how much of this actually is followed through with. I recall right around 2000 the Department of Residence presented to us at an RA training once with their "Master Plan" for the DOR that included tearing down all of Helser, part of Friley, and a good portion of the old RCA buildings to replace them with more modern buildings with more amenities. Here we are 20+ years later and most of that never happened. They only tore down half of what used to be Helser to make room for Martin hall, they imploded Knapp and Storms and I thought they maybe were planning to raze Wallace and Wilson at some point too and develop a whole new area there and that has never happened. I know the initial reaction they got from the RAs present was there was a lot of history behind those older buildings that it would not be a popular thing to just replace them all because especially in old RCA all the rooms are not the same which made for some unique rooms that were in demand for those that returned the following year.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Replacing Atanasoff and the old part of Coover is long overdue. I didn't go to office hours a ton but hated being cramped in tiny offices in Atanasoff when I did.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Will be interesting to see how much of this actually is followed through with. I recall right around 2000 the Department of Residence presented to us at an RA training once with their "Master Plan" for the DOR that included tearing down all of Helser, part of Friley, and a good portion of the old RCA buildings to replace them with more modern buildings with more amenities. Here we are 20+ years later and most of that never happened. They only tore down half of what used to be Helser to make room for Martin hall, they imploded Knapp and Storms and I thought they maybe were planning to raze Wallace and Wilson at some point too and develop a whole new area there and that has never happened. I know the initial reaction they got from the RAs present was there was a lot of history behind those older buildings that it would not be a popular thing to just replace them all because especially in old RCA all the rooms are not the same which made for some unique rooms that were in demand for those that returned the following year.
I think enrollment helps tell the story of why they changed plans on demolishing more of the dorm halls.

Martin and Eaton were opened in 2003 and 2004, then Storm and Knapp were knocked down in 2005. This happened right as enrollment dipped, 2006 being the lowest enrollment this century at 25.4k. What followed was a steady growth with enrollment ballooning to 36.6k in 2016. I would imagine Geoffroy and the administration were targeting enrollment growth and decided to delay demolishing more housing until new dorms were constructed to accommodate the growth. Plus the '08 financial crash probably put a damper on any plans to develop the Towers area further.

Once Leath took over, he was hyper focused on growing the enrollment despite there not being enough housing on campus. Since the peak Geoffroy hall has opened for more housing, and enrollment dropped back to 30.7k last year, so it wouldn't shock me if they explore closing up Towers again in the future. Or finally finish demolishing Helser.

Attachments

• 1662067799662.png
    1662067799662.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: DFWClone

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Ross Hall has a bone to pick with your "worst on campus" award. They want it with a ribbon and trophy.

The classrooms in Ross are more functional than the ones in Agronomy. If we talked overall ugliness, Ross loses badly.

In the future, though, who knows? Ross will require a lot less in terms of offices, so maybe they do something with that space. Probably not, though.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron