ISU VP of Finance & Operations Settlement

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Drop in the bucket compared to the cost of litigation.
Typical nutless university BS. Fire him for cause. This racket of getting cashed out after you F up based on tge threat of litigation needs to end.

• Creative
Reactions: isufbcurt

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Typical nutless university BS. Fire him for cause. This racket of getting cashed out after you F up based on tge threat of litigation needs to end.
I share your frustration, but the reality is the university would end up having to pay more (possibly way more) in legal expenses to fire him with cause than they'd have pay in a settlement to have him walk away quietly. As a tax payer, would you still be okay if they chose the more expensive route?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I share your frustration, but the reality is the university would end up having to pay more (possibly way more) in legal expenses to fire him with cause than they'd have pay in a settlement to have him walk away quietly. As a tax payer, would you still be okay if they chose the more expensive route?

I guess the question would be if he did something inappropriate with an employee, what grounds would he have for more money?

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I guess the question would be if he did something inappropriate with an employee, what grounds would he have for more money?
Very true.

As someone who has worked at the university a long time, I get frustrated that the Office of University Counsel has one, and only one, priority: protect the university legally.

That priority supercedes everything, and sometimes that means doing what is best legally rather than what is best morally or ethically. And that sucks.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Very true.

As someone who has worked at the university a long time, I get frustrated that the Office of University Counsel has one, and only one, priority: protect the university legally.

That priority supercedes everything, and sometimes that means doing what is best legally rather than what is best morally or ethically. And that sucks.
That’s the problem, and this kind of thing is not unique. There were cases like this w faculty that flew under the radar. People that were no-brainers to fire, and they pay them out. People that supervise others at the university are expected to document cases and get people out when there is cause. Firing for cause happens all the time at the lower levels and there is not a thought or option of paying people to resign.

• Agree
Reactions: Pope

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Very true.

Unfortunately, that is usually the strategy when u are the deep pocket, and a public institution.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
And they can just jack up tuition and add a few more nonsensical "fees" to make up for it and pass the cost on to the students.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
That’s the problem, and this kind of thing is not unique. There were cases like this w faculty that flew under the radar. People that were no-brainers to fire, and they pay them out. People that supervise others at the university are expected to document cases and get people out when there is cause. Firing for cause happens all the time at the lower levels and there is not a thought or option of paying people to resign.
You are so right. I had to terminate a few employees myself (at much lower levels) who were extremely bad. But the process was extremely long, very unpleasant , and required enormous amounts of documentation on my part. And still at the end, I was threatened with law suit.

Having gone through that a few times, it became very easy to understand the temptation to take the easy way out and just pay the horrible employee a cash settlement to just go away.

This isn't always the case, but there are so many times when it seems there's an inverse relationship between the level of a person's position and the level of their courage and integrity.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Rumor that he did some inappropriate things with funds…and employees.
So he was inadequate at his job and he had “fun” with girls and still gets paid $100K+? Where can I sign up?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Cool. Now do the guy who gave Leath "flying lessons" to land himself a cushy gig, that when he got fired he returned to the safety of a rented faculty job.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
And people wonder why college is more expensive. Admin roles get paid like this and I’m sure annual raises.
I mean, that’s not a normal admin job. That’s one of the top 5 admin jobs at the university. Also, I know from experience that university raises aren’t great. Most years 1-3%. I think this year is 1%.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
You are so right. I had to terminate a few employees myself (at much lower levels) who were extremely bad. But the process was extremely long, very unpleasant , and required enormous amounts of documentation on my part. And still at the end, I was threatened with law suit.

Having gone through that a few times, it became very easy to understand the temptation to take the easy way out and just pay the horrible employee a cash settlement to just go away.

This isn't always the case, but there are so many times when it seems there's an inverse relationship between the level of a person's position and the level of their courage and integrity.
Mostly I’d say it’s a problem in university structures and leadership. They get leadership positions based on success in research, which does not necessarily require success in leadership. Some are great, but some are absolutely horrible and don’t know the absolute basics of leadership, performance management or even the legal/HR 101.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Cool. Now do the guy who gave Leath "flying lessons" to land himself a cushy gig, that when he got fired he returned to the safety of a rented faculty job.
And also got a buddy some high paying job. I would say the type of incompetence in this Norman case is pretty typical of all ISU leadership over the years, but Leath took it to the next level of absolute tax robbery.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron