ISU VP of Finance & Operations Settlement

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Would you decline a raise at your company? That’s what I thought.

95a68a85-7c06-4bdc-94d9-61b80791c212_text.gif

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
So people who are already underpaid compared to the private industry should refuse cost of living increases?
Well, that's being generous...
I wish we could get COI increases as a matter of course, but I, too, work for the state as an ISU employee.

Cy Guy69

Nov 2, 2023
So people who are already underpaid compared to the private industry should refuse cost of living increases?
I don’t get why you are arguing they aren’t getting paid enough lol. 400k in Iowa might as well be a million.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
That is a factor but when ever has the big 3 decreased their budget? Every years, it’s an increase. The people making 400k a year need raises to keep up with inflation!
I don’t get why you are arguing they aren’t getting paid enough lol. 400k in Iowa might as well be a million.
How big of a factor do you think State contribution is?
What % of ISU employees make $400k?

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Well you insinuated that university costs are rising because of administrative bloat and then claimed those working for a public university shouldn’t get raises. There are a handful of people making $400k at the university and thousands of people making less than their public counterpart.

The reason why tuition and university costs keep going up is because the state of Iowa is giving less and less money to universities each year. That’s a fact.

I’d be willing to be your cost of living increase at your job this year is at least 3 times as much as university employees are receiving.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I think @GMackey32's point is not the "quietly fired" high-paid, short-term administrator. It's those of us who will never get close to that salary level whose low pay (compared to private industry) is not the primary cause of continually increasing tuition. And that we would welcome more attention to our salaries and the value we collectively bring to the university.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I think @GMackey32's point is not the "quietly fired" high-paid, short-term administrator. It's those of us who will never get close to that salary level whose low pay (compared to private industry) is not the primary cause of continually increasing tuition. And that we would welcome more attention to our salaries and the value we collectively bring to the university.
Also, find me the head of finance at a multi million dollar corporation that makes less than $400k a year. $400k a year for that position isn’t asinine.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
You know if we could get Pollard to sell beer all over campus...
send-text-run-away.gif

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The CPA of the University misusing funds is absolutely not an indictment of all the people on staff there who earn less than $400k.

But it sure as **** isn't a case that the university is underfunded by the state, for those trying to thread that needle.

That's all I'm going to add as this thread prepares to be Caved.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Well you insinuated that university costs are rising because of administrative bloat and then claimed those working for a public university shouldn’t get raises. There are a handful of people making $400k at the university and thousands of people making less than their public counterpart.

The reason why tuition and university costs keep going up is because the state of Iowa is giving less and less money to universities each year. That’s a fact.

I’d be willing to be your cost of living increase at your job this year is at least 3 times as much as university employees are receiving.

Cy Guy69

Nov 2, 2023

Well budget breakdowns sure do show that bloating administration roles.

And I’m an hourly employee, not salary. I have received a few raises but nothing crazy.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Well budget breakdowns sure do show that bloating administration roles.

And I’m an hourly employee, not salary. I have received a few raises but nothing crazy.
https://iowacapitaldispatch.com/202...state-universities-is-less-than-20-years-ago/

“Data from the Board of Regents shows state funding for the University of Iowa, Iowa State University and the University of Northern Iowa has fluctuated over the past 20 years. This fiscal year’s allocation of just over $486 million is nearly $20 million less than the state gave to public universities in 1999 — not adjusted for inflation”

Cy Guy69

Nov 2, 2023
https://iowacapitaldispatch.com/202...state-universities-is-less-than-20-years-ago/

“Data from the Board of Regents shows state funding for the University of Iowa, Iowa State University and the University of Northern Iowa has fluctuated over the past 20 years. This fiscal year’s allocation of just over $486 million is nearly $20 million less than the state gave to public universities in 1999 — not adjusted for inflation”
I just picked a random year, total operation budget in 2015 was 580million. 2022, 726 million. Quite the jump

• Dumb
Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I just picked a random year, total operation budget in 2015 was 580million. 2022, 726 million. Quite the jump
If there was only something that happened between 2015 and 2022. Nevertheless, State of Iowa is decreasing funding each year for the 3 public universities passing on the costs to students. That’s a fact.

Everything you have posted is purely conjecture from someone outside of the organization with no idea of the inner workings.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron