ISU VP of Finance & Operations Settlement

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Settlements are cheaper than lawyers.
If you want to get rid of a guy after a year you have cause. If you do your job you have a case documented and there is zero need for lawyers.

This idea that there’s something magical or special about the process for these higher level positions is idiotic. It’s just a bunch of people at high levels that are bad at being managers, have no balls, want to protect the racket if/when they get canned, or a combination.

I’ve been charge of people for over 20 years at large companies, small companies, and ISU. I’ve had to let many people go for a wide range of reasons. And magically because I follow good practices there hasn’t been a legal problem once.

These idiots need to do their job. If you do the job right there is no case. It’s not like this turd is getting lawyers for free. And if ISU gets sued and loses a wrongful termination case, that should be brought to light and those that failed need to be fired.

University administrators need to stop acting like this is some super complicated process that we simple folks can’t understand. They are just lazy and gutless.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I think it's safe to assume this VP position is an at will position, meaning the person can be terminated without cause.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think it's safe to assume this VP position is an at will position, meaning the person can be terminated without cause.
A lot of education positions have contracts so you need a reason to not let them finish the contract.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Settlements are cheaper than lawyers.
I get that, the issue is that someone who must have clearly f*cked up and behaved inappropriately professionally, personally, or both, is given such a substantial payout to essentially "accept" being fired. BS.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
If you want to get rid of a guy after a year you have cause. If you do your job you have a case documented and there is zero need for lawyers.

This idea that there’s something magical or special about the process for these higher level positions is idiotic. It’s just a bunch of people at high levels that are bad at being managers, have no balls, want to protect the racket if/when they get canned, or a combination.

I’ve been charge of people for over 20 years at large companies, small companies, and ISU. I’ve had to let many people go for a wide range of reasons. And magically because I follow good practices there hasn’t been a legal problem once.

These idiots need to do their job. If you do the job right there is no case. It’s not like this turd is getting lawyers for free. And if ISU gets sued and loses a wrongful termination case, that should be brought to light and those that failed need to be fired.

University administrators need to stop acting like this is some super complicated process that we simple folks can’t understand. They are just lazy and gutless.
Not true on lawyer costs - many lawyers will tale on contingency and the plaintiffs will have no cash outlay. Especially suing the government.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Not true on lawyer costs - many lawyers will tale on contingency and the plaintiffs will have no cash outlay. Especially suing the government.
Does that preclude the university from seeking reimbursement of their legal costs from the plaintiff if the case has no merit?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Yet miraculously people get let go all the time without buyouts and without lawsuits.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Does anyone actually have any facts behind this situation or are you all just speculating based on rumors?

• Winner
Reactions: CloneIce

charlie_B

Mar 21, 2017
Does anyone actually have any facts behind this situation or are you all just speculating based on rumors?
All speculation. Nothing official has been released. My best guess was something to do with alcohol at work. All university employees got an email on roughly December 1st reminding everyone of the alcohol-at-work policy.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
All speculation. Nothing official has been released. My best guess was something to do with alcohol at work. All university employees got an email on roughly December 1st reminding everyone of the alcohol-at-work policy.
So instead of terminating the person who actually violated the policy, the university sends out a reminder to the 9,000 other employees who are not violating the policy. Makes perfect sense.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
https://iowacapitaldispatch.com/202...state-universities-is-less-than-20-years-ago/

“Data from the Board of Regents shows state funding for the University of Iowa, Iowa State University and the University of Northern Iowa has fluctuated over the past 20 years. This fiscal year’s allocation of just over $486 million is nearly $20 million less than the state gave to public universities in 1999 — not adjusted for inflation”
So basically the state is funding universities at 50% of 1999 levels.

Over 24 years and assuming
around 3% COLA for wage/other inflation the $506M in 1999 would be slightly over $1B in today's $.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron