It's okay to be pissed

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
That was an absolutely terrible offense. They were bordering on 2016 Iowa offense bad. Surprised how solid Texas' D is given their Jr High offense.

They scored the same amount of points on at USC in regulation. So is that to say our defense is on the same level as USC? If so I'll take that.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Agreed. This is the first disappointing feeling I've had in Campbells tenure. Everything was set up for us to succeed, the defense did MORE THAN ENOUGH for us to win, and we laid an egg. I still think we're trending upward, but this game hurt.

I was disappointed, but its about as disappointed as I was last year against WVU. After what we did to Tech, we laid a giant egg against WVU last year. I think Gray had the tweet last night that was spot on...when you score 38 against Iowa in regulation, and you hold Texas to 17, both at home, those are two games you MUST win. Got to remember this is year 2, and hopefully we can still continue to progress forward.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I'm not pissed, I'm really let down as a Cyclone football fan.

Besides the game, here are my points of sadness:

1) The Iowa game STILL appears to outsiders to be our Super Bowl. We looked great against them and after the game everyone was like "That's the best defense we'll face all year" and stuff. Then we play teams actually in our conference and look like a high school team with the local school bus driver calling plays. Just terrible. The fans also show up in bulk for UNI and Iowa and the stadium is dead the rest of the year. Yeah, yeah - I know. If we win then the atmosphere will improve.

2) We release yet another secondary logo. I like that we want a Cyclone logo as secondary, but why not use a cyclone logo that we already have?? Sadly, I'm seeing a lot of laughs about how it looks too. Retro vintage logos and uniforms are coming back. Sure our past sucks, but at least it fits a current trend. I'll be very curious and nervous about what the staff does for uniforms and branding next season.

3) We have to wait 2 weeks to play a game we have a chance in again. Texas is not that good. Their defensive front is really good but that's it. Oklahoma is better in every way. I don't see us keeping it close.

4) Postseason play looks unlikely. Maybe get 5 wins and still go to a bowl, but I really thought they would have a good shot at 6 this year.

5) Yet another game where you will look back at the end of the year and say.. man, that's a game where we laid an egg, still somehow stayed in the game. Better execution and a couple bounces and we get it even closer or possibly win. We're now 0-2 in games where we had opportunities to win the thing.

Anyway, that is why I'm sad today. Lots of football yet to be played, but that was a HUGE let down last night.

TLDR; I'm sad and we need some Cyclone wins to get this thing pointed in the right direction.

• Agree
Reactions: irish

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
. I think Gray had the tweet last night that was spot on...when you score 38 against Iowa in regulation, and you hold Texas to 17, both at home, those are two games you MUST win.

Good point. I'd like to see the Good Offense and Good Defense in the same game more than once per season.

The road to mediocrity is paved with losses like we saw vs Iowa and UT.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Overall very frustrating game, but for me, the one big positive was the defense. They played incredible. Honestly, if you tell anyone here that our defense would hold Texas to 17 points I think we all would assume Iowa State wins the game.

The two negatives for me were the play calling and the O-line. A bad game from Park didn't help our cause, but Texas was able to sell out for the pass all game, and with line play as bad as ours, Park had no time whatsoever.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
That Texas team is not that good. The defense played incredible, but the offensive play calling and the O-line were both terrible. A bad game from Park didn't help, but Texas was able to sell out for the pass all game, and with line play as bad as ours, Park had no time whatsoever.
Totally agree. It's like the staff decided before the game that Texas has great defensive line so therefore we won't try to run.

SiouxCityCyclone

Nov 10, 2016
Goddamn am I frustrated, but hopefully this can be chalked up as a bad game and everyone from Bailey, Park, Manning, Campbell, and everyone in between will use this game as a learning experience. Learn from our mistakes, learn what worked well for us, learn how to handle pressure situations, etc. As ChuckD mentioned, this is year two, and there's still plenty of season left! There are winnable games on the schedule and we're 2-2. We can't take an ugly loss and pack up and call the season a failure. I still have faith in Campbell and Co. LET'S. *******. GO!

Reactions: Yellow Snow

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
3rd and 7 at the TX 33 and we punt. That one pissed me off, and I never recovered. What are the coaches thinking on that one?

I think we lost 45 yards of field position even after forcing the 3 and out because outside of the shanked punt their punter was hitting unreturnable 60 yarders.

• Agree
Reactions: SiouxCityCyclone

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
We are lucky that we played Texas tonight. OSU, TCU, OU, etc would have dropped 40+ on ISU and would have looked more embarrassing on national TV.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby and huntt26
Aug 11, 2016
The play calling was puzzling all night which I know has been mentioned quite a few times. To me this was a perfect game to get the tight end involved more. I think Allen had one catch for a first down and that was it. We were told that the tight ends were going to be a much larger part of this offense. Secondly it seems that Deshaunte Jones no longer has a primary role in this offense. After his promising freshman season he has not been utilized at all. Lastly, I know that Texas blitzed and Montgomery did well picking it up, but let him chip the blitzer and slip him out where he is matched up against a linebacker. Throw him the ball short and let him go to work. No linebacker can cover him in space.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
We are lucky that we played Texas tonight. OSU, TCU, OU, etc would have dropped 40+ on ISU and would have looked more embarrassing on national TV.

Agree. Ya, our defense played well, but that was a very average, vanilla Texass offense. We react to blitz game plan, we win.

kccyclone3

May 16, 2015
You can't abandon the running game so early only down 7 and not get your best playmaker the ball. Park needs to control his emotions better and be a leader out there, the C on his chest needs to mean something and if it's not his game he needs to rally the troops and remain positive. Seeing a 3 man rush the majority of the game was also extremely frustrating to watch. Sill believe in CMC but definitely a disappointing showing last night

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
I listened to Coach Campbell's presser on the way into work this morning, and I can honestly say I'm more irritated than I was when I went to sleep last night. He repeatedly mentioned that the game flow dictated Montgomery only receiving 9 carries.

They were down by 14 points at the beginning of the third quarter, and Texas had 4-5 guys in the box all night. That's not at all a situation where you completely go away from your best player and abandon the run game all together. Manning and the rest of the offensive staff **** the bed last night.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
It wasn't even that they laid an egg. They regressed. I've lost all hope for this team, this year. Lots of talent on offense, but not a good offense.

Manning might need to be reevaluated as O coordinator before its too late. 12 days to put that game plan together and then make those play calls and seemingly zero adjustments... I remember CPR stubbornly refusing to get rid of Messingham, which was basically the beginning of the end for him.

On the bright side, the D looks way better than advertised.

At least the Cub's post season will span the gap between now and basketball.
THIS. This was a very winnable game in the 4th Qtr, and our coaches had given up. Coaches stopped coaching, if they had ever started. Campbell's demeanor on the side line said "let's get this game over."

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron