Ja Morant Suspension

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think the gun nut politicians can be cringy, but showing off guns while practicing gun safety is a little different than what Morant was doing.

Giving AR15s to little kids to flex with in posed photos is so much better? That’s pretty common for one set of leaders, people who don’t follow it all may find that hard to believe but it’s a thing.

Guns are the #1 cause of deaths for kids and an accident in the home is the most likely scenario, not Ja Morant. It’s all stupid and dangerous.

• Dumb
Reactions: jcisuclones

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
Giving AR15s to little kids to flex with in posed photos is so much better? That’s pretty common for one set of leaders, people who don’t follow it all may find that hard to believe but it’s a thing.

Guns are the #1 cause of deaths for kids and an accident in the home is the most likely scenario, not Ja Morant. It’s all stupid and dangerous.
Curious where you are seeing that information? Wild if true.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Gun culture is irrelevant to the issue. The issue is the NBA rules for their players, coaches, staff and executives. This is a repeated violation by the same player of NBA rules. That is the issue.

Issue for the blinders crowd. It’s a national sickness.

• Dumb
Reactions: jcisuclones

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Per article in March he was on video drunk with a gun in a club. Than a video of him flashing a gun in a car. Another, fighting a HS kid prospect and than later coming to his house with a gun in his waistband. Guys a timebomb just waiting to explode.

It's all so bizarre to me because I don't think he had history of this type of thing growing up. With some athletes I can see how this would happen. You grew up in the gun/gang culture and you still have friends and family in it. But I don't think that was his upbringing at all.

He's a young, successful millionaire that's just asking for all this. The league is full of guys who have parlayed their basketball abilities into become worth hundreds of millions of dollars through their play and their business ventures. But he is intent on doing something that not only impacts his safety but impacts his money. It's just bizarre.

Just take a look at what happened to Young Dolph, Nipsey Hussle, Takeoff, etc. There are people out there that will kill someone young and successful just for clout.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

And a highly visible player that is wildly popular among kids shown on SM flaunting a gun and dicking around with it like it's a toy is a big problem.

That's what the league is worried about and why they're suspending him. I really don't think they are so much concerned that this is a warning sign that Ja Morant is going to go out on a shooting spree or something.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and HFCS

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
What if he tried to take guns through airport security multiple times despite national headlines? Ruling on that one? Against it?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The league has their own image standards which Morant is well aware of.

I don't understand what people's problem is here. Clearly the league and the team have said to stop the behavior and he won't.

If he doesn't like it he could quit basketball, nobody is making him do this. The false equivalency of the behavior of lawmakers who have nothing to do with the NBA and what image they are trying to convey is completely baffling to me.

Reactions: MJ29 and CyDude16

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I don't understand what people's problem is here. Clearly the league and the team have said to stop the behavior and he won't.

If he doesn't like it he could quit basketball, nobody is making him do this. The false equivalency of the behavior of lawmakers who have nothing to do with the NBA and what image they are trying to convey is completely baffling to me.

You don’t think it’s a sign of cultural sickness that our priorities are that twisted?

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
And a highly visible player that is wildly popular among kids shown on SM flaunting a gun and dicking around with it like it's a toy is a big problem.

That's what the league is worried about and why they're suspending him. I really don't think they are so much concerned that this is a warning sign that Ja Morant is going to go out on a shooting spree or something.
Completely agree. I think this about how this looks to children/the message it sends to children as opposed to any kind of warning sign/not wanting to hurt the Chinese market

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Is this true?

Of gun deaths in 2021 26,000 were suicide; 21,000 were murders and there were 549 deaths due to accidental discharge. I'd suspect that 549 is kid-heavy, but it seems highly unlikely that accidental discharge is a bigger killer than murder or suicide among kids given those numbers.

Either way, people taking guns lightly is a serious problem in all cases. He needs to be more responsible and send the right message to kids.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
You don’t think it’s a sign of cultural sickness that our priorities are that twisted?

Sure, but it has nothing to do with the NBA and why Ja is getting suspended. They have a policy for a reason, they have an image they want to convey, and he isn't doing it.

Ja Morant isn't waiving a gun around in nightclubs because he's closely following Kris Kobach's socials. He probably has no idea who he is.

• Winner
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Is this true?

Of gun deaths in 2021 26,000 were suicide; 21,000 were murders and there were 549 deaths due to accidental discharge. I'd suspect that 549 is kid-heavy, but it seems highly unlikely that accidental discharge is a bigger killer than murder or suicide among kids given those numbers.

Either way, people taking guns lightly is a serious problem in all cases. He needs to be more responsible and send the right message to kids.
Agree.

My friend shot himself at ten w dad’s gun. Can you make the call for me if that’s suicide or his dad’s accident? Tough call, most called it suicide. I’ve never felt that way.

Also not a bad idea to stop posing kids with assault weapons.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I think the gun nut politicians can be cringy, but showing off guns while practicing gun safety is a little different than what Morant was doing.
Yeah, I realize it was a bit of a false equivalency. And I agree with the NBA. But the double standard in our society with how our weird, destructive gun culture is addressed is blatantly obvious, to me it’s worth pointing out.

• Winner
Reactions: HFCS

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
It's all so bizarre to me because I don't think he had history of this type of thing growing up. With some athletes I can see how this would happen. You grew up in the gun/gang culture and you still have friends and family in it. But I don't think that was his upbringing at all.

He's a young, successful millionaire that's just asking for all this. The league is full of guys who have parlayed their basketball abilities into become worth hundreds of millions of dollars through their play and their business ventures. But he is intent on doing something that not only impacts his safety but impacts his money. It's just bizarre.

Just take a look at what happened to Young Dolph, Nipsey Hussle, Takeoff, etc. There are people out there that will kill someone young and successful just for clout.
I've seen people theorize that because he didn't grow up in that environment that he's got some insecurities around his credibility in some parts of the black community any that's led to some of this behavior. Trying to 'prove himself'.

Whatever is happening, I hope he gets the help he needs to move through it. You hate seeing talent like he's got thrown away because of immature decisions.

Reactions: CyDude16

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Sure, but it has nothing to do with the NBA and why Ja is getting suspended. They have a policy for a reason, they have an image they want to convey, and he isn't doing it.

Ja Morant isn't waiving a gun around in nightclubs because he's closely following Kris Kobach's socials. He probably has no idea who he is.

I think the nba/griz have acted responsibly and didn’t say otherwise.