Jamie Pollard on KXNO today

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
People complain about scheduling that have never had to put it together or coach against it. This yrs non con was set up to grow and gel the team. I remember plenty of complaining about how terrible we were when we lost games in those tournaments. The rewriting of history on here is pretty amazing.

TJ and Jamie put the schedule together they want and hope will work. I hope everybody whining has bought their tickets for Maui next yr.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Would be happy to buy Maui tickets but the whole process is a mess. Call the ticket office they tell you to call the Cyclone Club. Call the Cyclone Club they tell you to call the travel agent. Call the travel agent they tell you to call ISU. Finally get sent a link to the site to buy tickets and it doesn’t work. Missed message from Cyclone Club and ticket office on whether you can buy tickets only or if you need to buy a travel package.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
People complain about scheduling that have never had to put it together or coach against it. This yrs non con was set up to grow and gel the team. I remember plenty of complaining about how terrible we were when we lost games in those tournaments. The rewriting of history on here is pretty amazing.

TJ and Jamie put the schedule together they want and hope will work. I hope everybody whining has bought their tickets for Maui next yr.
How is looking to improve our chances next year whining?

• Dumb
Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Nah, those quad 4s are fairly normal.

What killed us was that our neutral site opponents all underperformed, iowa was down, and the big east sent us an anchor named depaul.

"What hurt us" was the committee deciding to focus on the relatively meaningless non-con rather than the tremendously meaningful Big 12 season and tourney.

Does anyone really believe that better performance by neutral site opponents, EIU, or DePaul would have made a difference?

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Yep, there's a reason that there is a bit of (fake) mystery to the process for both college football and college basketball. The mysterious part is where they put their thumbs on the scales to get the results that they want.

Agree. If the selection committee insists on rewarding teams for their noncon schedule, then they should give specific criteria, rather than their vague assertion, to make the selection process transparent.

That said, factoring in the noncon strength of schedule is bs in the first place. Overall strength of schedule is relevant. Noncon strength of schedule is totally irrelevant.

iastatefan1

Jan 24, 2016
Committe can always find a reason within a couple seeds to justify what they do. The whole argument to me is crazy. People are upset we are overall 8th seed when we deserved higher. Why did this happen? Committee says noncon sos. Fans say dammit noncon sos should've been better. I say, you don't schedule for every 20 years when you have a chance to be a 1 seed you schedule for what happens most years. If we loaded up the non con, there will be some year where we have a good resume on the bubble and the committee will say not enough wins. And our fans will say our non con is too hard, schedule more MEAC teams...

iastatefan1

Jan 24, 2016
Committe can always find a reason within a couple seeds to justify what they do. The whole argument to me is crazy. People are upset we are overall 8th seed when we deserved higher. Why did this happen? Committee says noncon sos. Fans say dammit noncon sos should've been better. I say, you don't schedule for every 20 years when you have a chance to be a 1 seed you schedule for what happens most years. If we loaded up the non con, there will be some year where we have a good resume on the bubble and the committee will say not enough wins. And our fans will say our non con is too hard, schedule more MEAC teams...
If we had michigan states resume are we in? No effin way.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Would be happy to buy Maui tickets but the whole process is a mess. Call the ticket office they tell you to call the Cyclone Club. Call the Cyclone Club they tell you to call the travel agent. Call the travel agent they tell you to call ISU. Finally get sent a link to the site to buy tickets and it doesn’t work. Missed message from Cyclone Club and ticket office on whether you can buy tickets only or if you need to buy a travel package.
You’re not getting tickets directly through ISU unless you’re a director level cyclone club member. Maybe you are.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
I don't even care about what quad Drake would be in, why are we scared of playing Drake and UNI? Yeah they'll bring their A game but so what? We should be prepared for that. I think playing in Des Moines every other year would be fun and it's not like we still wouldn't be the home team no matter where we play. If we lose to Drake then we probably deserve whatever that does to our resume. I just want to watch fun games against local "rivals" in the non-con.
To clarify I don't think the team is scared of playing Drake (some fans are I think?) they just don't want to play 50/50 home and away which I get but I also think playing at Drake is fun sometimes. Why the hell not.

Reactions: Cyched and Cydkar

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
thot maybe jp was gonna be on kxno but turns out its ppl arguing about schedules

• Agree
Reactions: SDClone

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I don't even care about what quad Drake would be in, why are we scared of playing Drake and UNI? Yeah they'll bring their A game but so what? We should be prepared for that. I think playing in Des Moines every other year would be fun and it's not like we still wouldn't be the home team no matter where we play. If we lose to Drake then we probably deserve whatever that does to our resume. I just want to watch fun games against local "rivals" in the non-con.
To clarify I don't think the team is scared of playing Drake (some fans are I think?) they just don't want to play 50/50 home and away which I get but I also think playing at Drake is fun sometimes. Why the hell not.

It has nothing to do with "being scared". It is a bad business decision, and was basically a handout that subsidized both of those programs. ISU has no need to be doing that. ISU has a certain number of home games to fill and that gets harder after this year when the conference is going to add two more games. It doesn't have the space in the schedule to be giving away home and homes/neutrals to teams like Drake

You may find it fun to play local "rivals" but I for one have never considered them rivals, and any rivalry there would be one-sided (which contributes to why this is a poor team to schedule anyway- You're more than likely to get credit for their net, but one-sided rivalries like that you tend to get a team that overperforms their net and you don't get credit for it).

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I believe those decisions were more about finances than competition! How much more money ISU brings in hosting a non-con game vs going to UNI or Drake. Right? I would love to play both every year...as a fan those games are of more interest than some random school I have never heard of. But if we won't go there...they won't come to Ames. Gotta be a change in thinking from one of the sides I hope.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I believe those decisions were more about finances than competition! How much more money ISU brings in hosting a non-con game vs going to UNI or Drake. Right? I would love to play both every year...as a fan those games are of more interest than some random school I have never heard of. But if we won't go there...they won't come to Ames. Gotta be a change in thinking from one of the sides I hope.
Yeah it's a simple as not giving up a home game to either go to UNI or Drake or to the Well.

As a fan I would rather see a game against a decent Valley team like Drake or UNI than some of the crap on the schedule. But more importantly as a fan I want to see ISU optimize revenue potential. We don't have the luxury to turn down dollars for the sake of playing the in-state teams.

It's time to realize that ISU is becoming one of the premier basketball brands in the country. ISU needs to leverage every ounce of this. If people in the state and media want this kind of thing to happen they can pressure Iowa, which is living off being in the same conference as Michigan and Ohio State.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and cyfanatic

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron