Jess Settles...

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Got to be honest here fellow Cyclone fans.

I really, really like Jess Settles; not quite as much as Fran, but he's now a close second for me. He clearly knows the game well and knows what to look for that non-experts like me miss. He's not afraid to be critical of players without being a complete d!ck about it. And perhaps most importantly he's not afraid to call out p!ss-poor officiating, like he did at least a couple of times tonight.

Plus (and I know he was a Hawkeye for 9 years or so) he just seems like a really solid dude; someone you could definitely have an adult beverage or two with on the front porch on a nice spring day. I hope he keeps on calling our games and I would be just fine with him replacing Larry Morgan during the ESPN+ games in the non-conference schedule.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

I really, really like Jess Settles; not quite as much as Fran, but he's now a close second for me. He clearly knows the game well and knows what to look for that non-experts like me miss. He's not afraid to be critical of players without being a complete d!ck about it. And perhaps most importantly he's not afraid to call out p!ss-poor officiating, like he did at least a couple of times tonight.

Plus (and I know he was a Hawkeye for 9 years or so) he just seems like a really solid dude; someone you could definitely have an adult beverage or two with on the front porch on a nice spring day. I hope he keeps on calling our games and I would be just fine with him replacing Larry Morgan during the ESPN+ games in the non-conference schedule.
As someone who listened to him a lot on KXNO it's not surprising to me. He was always great on the monday show with Jake and was always complimentary of ISU with some really great insights.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

Problem with this is Settles is an analyst where Morgan does play by play role.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Jess was my favorite player as kid, hard for me to not enjoy him succeed as an announcer.

To be honest, I don't believe it's wrong to say he has done an excellent job. He does his homework, he's calling out plays before they happen - he's good at this. He's been doing a lot of ISU games and I hope he gets more.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Some of his jokes are cheesy, but in a kind of funny way. Like when he said “no one hates droughts like a farmer and a basketball coach”.

You know he had that up his sleeve and feels a little forced, but - like a good dad joke - its pretty good given the setting.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Some of his jokes are cheesy, but in a kind of funny way. Like when he said “no one hates droughts like a farmer and a basketball coach”.

You know he had that up his sleeve and feels a little forced, but - like a good dad joke - its pretty good given the setting.
He's used it before but I still like it.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

The bolded part is a tough line for many announcers (particularly former players). Some of them just harp on something like they never had a bad play in their careers. Settles calls it out, but doesn't hammer the guy. Just explains what went wrong and moves on.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

He's good.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I actually like him better than Fran. He calls the games and doesn’t go over the top with gushing about any player or team. He calls it as he sees it with the missed fouls last night. He’s just a solid broadcaster and doesn’t resort to gimmicks or catchphrases. I hope he gets opportunities for bigger games in the future.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
I may be mistaken but he has mentioned that his cousin is George Kittle who also comes across as a likable Hawkeye(2 words I’ve never put together in my life) and has no problem of positive takes on the Cyclones without being condescending. I assume he does analysis of other games. If he covers an Iowa game it would be interesting if he would be able to be honest about their shortcomings.

Reactions: BigCyFan

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Was it as good as “death by a thousand back cuts” after BYU got another bucket on a back cut.