Jess Settles...

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
I would like to know how he knows what play TJ has called

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Give me him over most others I've heard on the plus (especially McClure).

I like Settles more than King McClure. McClure really struggled early in his career (3-4 years ago), but he's progressed pretty well the last couple years. He's gone from cringeworthy to serviceable.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone and brycy

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
He does a nice job. He gives Cyclone fans a bit of a homer attitude, but stays pretty neutral overall.

My guess is Jess is the designated home Cyclone announcer for ESPN games that Fran doesn't announce. It doesn't surprise me in the modern TV era. ESPN is very cost focused so having Jess drive up from from SE Iowa is a lot cheaper than putting King McClure on a plane.
Jess actually lives in Pella but helps out on the family farm in SE Iowa.

• Informative
Reactions: isucy86

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Got to be honest here fellow Cyclone fans.

I really, really like Jess Settles; not quite as much as Fran, but he's now a close second for me. He clearly knows the game well and knows what to look for that non-experts like me miss. He's not afraid to be critical of players without being a complete d!ck about it. And perhaps most importantly he's not afraid to call out p!ss-poor officiating, like he did at least a couple of times tonight.

Plus (and I know he was a Hawkeye for 9 years or so) he just seems like a really solid dude; someone you could definitely have an adult beverage or two with on the front porch on a nice spring day. I hope he keeps on calling our games and I would be just fine with him replacing Larry Morgan during the ESPN+ games in the non-conference schedule.
**** Iowa.

But I agree he’s good

Reactions: 67CY

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I typically watch both basketball and football games on mute with music/headphones on these days due to how bad the announcers are, but he's certainly tolerable. I hate to say it because he's such a perfect Hawk to hate, but he's in the right business.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Jess definitely has a future in being a color guy. I think it just depends on how badly he wants to pursue it.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I think he's been very solid. And funny/not afraid to poke fun at himself. A few games ago when they showed a list of all time ISU PG's spread out over a bunch of years. He made some comment about "I think I played against all those guys". Dude gets it and I enjoy when he's on the broadcast

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I actually like him better than Fran. He calls the games and doesn’t go over the top with gushing about any player or team. He calls it as he sees it with the missed fouls last night. He’s just a solid broadcaster and doesn’t resort to gimmicks or catchphrases. I hope he gets opportunities for bigger games in the future.
I think he’s fine but he is a little lacking on upfront homework. A example is When he called the first game of ours, his comments about Gilbert was that he didn’t force things. Hey, I like Gilbert, but he forces a lot of stuff.

Helser 83

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 7, 2022
He was always down to earth back in the day being from a neighboring town of about a thousand people. Was surprised to hear him doing an ISU game earlier this year as I had only heard him on the B1G network. I think he's doing great if he's trying to expand his career. Good people do good things.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I like Settles more than King McClure. McClure really struggled early in his career (3-4 years ago), but he's progressed pretty well the last couple years. He's gone from cringeworthy to serviceable.
Speaking of McClure, I hardly remember him doing any of our games this season. Maybe one or two in the first half of Big 12 play, but doesn't seem like I've heard him much since January

putsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 13, 2009
Harlan, IA
I had to laugh during the BYU game. He was explaining how Gilbert draws so many fouls and how the pump fake is crucial to drawing contact. Before I left the dark side when I was young and dumb, I remember trying to play like Settles - standing on the block and repeatedly using a head fake a ridiculous amount of times.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I would like to know how he knows what play TJ has called
I assume you are talking about when ISU went 4 low late in the game, with Curtis replacing Tamin up top when Lipsey drove? He called that play exactly and well in advance.

I would bet he has sat in on a couple practices and seen them go over that. The announcers also sit right across from the coaches. He may have seen TJ or an assistant holler at Curtis that he was replacing.

Last edited:

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I typically watch both basketball and football games on mute with music/headphones on these days due to how bad the announcers are, but he's certainly tolerable. I hate to say it because he's such a perfect Hawk to hate, but he's in the right business.
Ya. He’s good. He explains things in a way that both trained and untrained eyes can listen to and appreciate, which is really hard to do.

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
Jess has pump faked his way into another year of eligibility to my heart. Glad he’s doing our games.

Reactions: MJAnderson

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The main characteristic you want from a color guy is enthusiasm for what's happening on the court and some insights that go beyond the obvious. For some reason it's harder than you'd think it would be.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
I think he goes a great job. Also, there are times I think Troy Aikman is doing basketball games because he sounds just like him.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron