Jess Settles...

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I actually like him better than Fran. He calls the games and doesn’t go over the top with gushing about any player or team. He calls it as he sees it with the missed fouls last night. He’s just a solid broadcaster and doesn’t resort to gimmicks or catchphrases. I hope he gets opportunities for bigger games in the future.

Ok you need to wash out your mouth and take a shower

Reactions: BCClone

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
I've been watching a lot of basketball while traveling for work the last few weeks, it feels like settles is on a game every night. He is solid, not fran, but doesn't try to be. He has a great knowledge of the game and does his research. On a side note, funny to see fran was in the building last night.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
I may be mistaken but he has mentioned that his cousin is George Kittle who also comes across as a likable Hawkeye(2 words I’ve never put together in my life) and has no problem of positive takes on the Cyclones without being condescending.…..
One cousin is weird, the other fairly grounded.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I actually like him better than Fran. He calls the games and doesn’t go over the top with gushing about any player or team. He calls it as he sees it with the missed fouls last night. He’s just a solid broadcaster and doesn’t resort to gimmicks or catchphrases. I hope he gets opportunities for bigger games in the future.

You mean the guy that loves ball and this conference so much that he went to a game on a Wednesday night just because.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Got to be honest here fellow Cyclone fans.

I really, really like Jess Settles; not quite as much as Fran, but he's now a close second for me. He clearly knows the game well and knows what to look for that non-experts like me miss. He's not afraid to be critical of players without being a complete d!ck about it. And perhaps most importantly he's not afraid to call out p!ss-poor officiating, like he did at least a couple of times tonight.

Plus (and I know he was a Hawkeye for 9 years or so) he just seems like a really solid dude; someone you could definitely have an adult beverage or two with on the front porch on a nice spring day. I hope he keeps on calling our games and I would be just fine with him replacing Larry Morgan during the ESPN+ games in the non-conference schedule.
Close second? Not even close. FF is on the peak of the mountain, Settles is in base camp. BUT I don't mind him either. He does a decent job, keeps it fair and impartial and I DEFINITELY prefer him over Morgan.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
You mean the guy that loves ball and this conference so much that he went to a game on a Wednesday night just because.

I don’t doubt that the guy loves the Big12. I just find him to be a bit over the top when announcing. I guess I just like announcers that focus on the game and don’t spend time with side stories and the like. So it’s a style thing.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I found him pretty annoying the two games we played teams with Iowa transfers that he droned on and on about.

And it breaks my heart that we never get Fran anymore and he’s up in the rafters just to be in Hilton.

Reactions: Cyrealist

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
I found him pretty annoying the two games we played teams with Iowa transfers that he droned on and on about.

And it breaks my heart that we never get Fran anymore and he’s up in the rafters just to be in Hilton.
I'm obviously in the minority, but I thought they sounded like BYU homers last night. And probably it was my imagination, but there seemed to be lot and lots and LOTS of commercials last night. Maybe I just had a bad attitude because we weren't playing well and were behind.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I'm obviously in the minority, but I thought they sounded like BYU homers last night. And probably it was my imagination, but there seemed to be lot and lots and LOTS of commercials last night. Maybe I just had a bad attitude because we weren't playing well and were behind.

No other team has been able to carve us up like BYU did in Provo and in Ames. LOL I have no issues with them calling that out.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Yep. So I finally just synced it with Walters and Heft for the second half.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
No other team has been able to carve us up like BYU did in Provo and in Ames. LOL I have no issues with them calling that out.
I have no problem with them saying BYU is a tough match-up for us and they were playing very well in the first three fourths of the game. But they sounded like BYU homers. Who's leading who in the conference?

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I think it just goes with the territory. For a majority of the game we were getting torched by BYU, what are they supposed to talk about? I know people here would be pissed if the roles were reversed last night and they were still gushing for BYU, because. I’ve seen it before. I thought their tone definitely switched when we got it to 6 and especially when we took the lead.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I have no problem with them saying BYU is a tough match-up for us and they were playing very well in the first three fourths of the game. But they sounded like BYU homers. Who's leading who in the conference?

The announcers typically roll with whoever has the hot hand. Once we cut the lead to single digits their tone certainly shifted.

• Agree
Reactions: NodawayRiverClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron